WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg

Incubator Suspension Setup Pics or Advice Request

Can anyone post pictures of the suspension setup for the Hammock Gear Incubator? I've recently switched from the Winter Yeti to the full HG Incubator and I am getting major cold spots on my back and butt now on my last 5 trips... where i have to constantly get out and re-adjust.

My Incubator only came with the synches on the head and foot end and the shockcord that runs along the length on each side and attaches to the gathered end of my Warbonnet BlackBird. The Incubator has two unused tabs on each head and foot end and also has three tabs along the length of the UQ on both sides.

I just got back from REI and I have 50' of shockcord and a dream.

I've yet to see any good pics of the Incubator in my searches. I wrote HG a few days ago and am waiting for a response (which is fine) but I am leaving for a trip tomorrow and would be great to get the UQ dialed in.

I think I recall seeing a picture the tabs on each attached to the tree slightly above the suspension, so the UQ flairs out a little bit?

I bought this UQ used here on the forum and it has no HG logo, suspension, or plastic D rings that go in the tabs... I wonder if it was an earlier model? Its a custom UQ made long with 2oz overfill

Anywho, Ill take any advice please.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Here is a link to a Youtube video that might help you to eliminate the sagging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJts...pHU7Z4&index=1

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB & Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie DIY
    Images
    Awesome Video! Thanks! I had similar questions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post

thank you!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post

Man I am sorry but I don't like that mod at all.
    Putting that much tension on the end shockcords will cause the ends to bunch up too much.
    Also the quilt will not follow you as you get diagonal. The outside shockcord will be super tight.

The OP needs to figure out why he is getting a gap on his back.
    Has he moved down in the hammock overtime and now his butt is laying on the leg shelf? This will cause a huge gap on your back.
    Is his end shockcords too tight? This will cause a gap at the legs or back or both.
    Is the OP laying on his side?
    We are flatter on our side than on our back. Mostly because on our side we don't bend very well.
    On your side your legs can push down on the leg shelf causing a gap on your back.

Lots of reasons for CBS.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 04-24-2014 at 19:37.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    No pics but my Incubators (one old suspension and the other new) work best when they are tightened up enough to raise the unoccupied hammock. Almost seems too tight...kind of like my WBBBs always looked too high in the foot end when set up how they work for me. Don't be afraid to test the extremes to find your personal perfect set ups.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ripcurlksm,

When I first got my 20 degree incubator I slept in my backyard in about 30 degree weather. I was cold the entire night. The next night, I adjusted the suspension and was still cold. I was a little frustrated, especially while reading posts about how conservative Hammock Gear is with their temp rating. On the third night, it got down to 23 degrees. I made some new adjustments to the suspension and that night I stayed warm the entire evening.

The difference? For me it was loosening the end channels. It seems natural to want to cinch the end channels of the quilt and keep the ends really tight against the hammock, but (for me) it doesn't work. I kept trying to get the quilt to hug the hammock tighter by really tightening the side suspensions. The side suspension helps, but it won't make up for the end channels being over cinched.

Just remember, the temp ratings are pretty accurate and the suspension does work. Keep experimenting til you get it dialed in. It took me a few nights to figure it out.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    HG 4-Season Cuben
    Insulation
    HG 0°/30° TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Question

I've had on-off issues with my Incubator 0° (overstuffed +2), even in temps around 30°. I sort of got the impression I haven't found a consistent sweet spot, or am using it in some un-obviously wrong manner.

You are saying to keep the end suspension (the horizontally running end baffle cinches) somewhat loose, as seen when the hammock is empty? And also not tightening up the side suspension (the vertically running longer cinches)? Or, keep the end channel loose but tighten the side suspension up tightly? Or something else?

I'm still debating adding shock cord over the ridgeline to the side tabs. Does anyone do something like that, or does it make it worse? Any other tricks?

Should one's rear end be below the taper, at the taper, or above it?

Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    Ripcurlksm,

When I first got my 20 degree incubator I slept in my backyard in about 30 degree weather. I was cold the entire night. The next night, I adjusted the suspension and was still cold. I was a little frustrated, especially while reading posts about how conservative Hammock Gear is with their temp rating. On the third night, it got down to 23 degrees. I made some new adjustments to the suspension and that night I stayed warm the entire evening.

The difference? For me it was loosening the end channels. It seems natural to want to cinch the end channels of the quilt and keep the ends really tight against the hammock, but (for me) it doesn't work. I kept trying to get the quilt to hug the hammock tighter by really tightening the side suspensions. The side suspension helps, but it won't make up for the end channels being over cinched.

Just remember, the temp ratings are pretty accurate and the suspension does work. Keep experimenting til you get it dialed in. It took me a few nights to figure it out.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I noticed the same thing with the end channels. When over cinched it causes the sides to not come up very far at the head/foot ends of the hammock. When this happens it sags a bit in the center causing cold butt syndrome.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    0* Mamba & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Goldberg
    Thank you all very much. The head and foot is completely cinched tight, I will loosen them up a lot and see how it goes. Plan B will be the shock cord from the video. Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast