Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a tarp made. Anyone wanna?

I can get all the materials together and shoot you a design. You would be sewing 70d PU coated ripstop nylon into a hex with doors, and bug net. Not having much like finding someone to make it, and I can't myself.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Shoot me a PM with details (dimensions, etc.), I may be able to help you out. What do you mean "and bug net"? Like, attached to a tarp?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I suspect you would be ahead to purchase the tarp from a cottage vendor. I thought about your offer, however the bug net put me off the idea.

The time and skill of a non professional tent maker would cost you more than having a cottage vendor make the tarp to your specifications.

Just my take why you are not finding any takers.

I would love to have a vendor do this for me but I am not having a lot of luck. Not many of them are even working with the material I want. I'll keep looking. I've resorted to this forum buy sell forum because of my ill luck every other place I've looked.

Boston: The bug net is indeed attached to the tarp.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    Sounds like you are looking for a tarp tent/bilgy tarp tent. Something like this..http://www.questoutfitters.com/patte...%20TARP%20TENT
    I'm assuming tarptent.com. or zpacks (cuben) doesn't fit the your needs for some reason, but the vendors are limited. You can get more possibilities if you open up to a bugnet shelter and pitch a separate tarp over it. Probably nothing new that you didn't already know.
    Bill

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    How about one of these: http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Bugout+12x12

I have the 7x7 version. And the zippers are doubled to allow for hammocks to be hung through and zipped tight

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    This design is doable as a tarp combo if the sides are extended. Only problem you would have is major condensation on the inside. The bug net design shown is done in "barely breathable" DWR ripstop nylon and generates some condensation. A full tarp of silnylon would be pretty wet inside in cooler or humid weather. Bug net is the Fronkey style rig.

In spite of the condensation and other moisture issues, I've given that tarp/bugnet design a lot of thought and may build a prototype this year, especially since I have the materials on hand to try it.
    Last edited by SnrMoment; 04-27-2014 at 20:12.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

I like the suggestions guys. My concern is that the overall weight with this design, being already a bit heavy, would gain even more weight with a separate bug tent. Recognizing this, I think a bugnet attachment at the doors would be much cheaper and lighter. Regarding condensation, I think I am just going to have to deal with it. There is no way around it with the material that I have chosen. Unfortunately from my research, it looks like the 70d pu ripstop nylon is my only option. I haven't even mentioned that there is to be a removable floor on this thing, adding to weight and condensation. This design has been so **** tough.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Thinking and plotting outside the box is always taxing. Carry on. You might want to make a paper mock up of what you have in mind, or you could get some "Fat 1/4's", some glue or staples, maybe even iron on adhesive and see if you like the looks and functional aspect of what you have designed.

Sewing something together is not always easy when there are several design features. In a persons head or on paper do not always translate to a do-able or as intended project.

Good advice. I might build a prototype first. I think, for now, I'm going to take my current tarp and use it like I always have: laid over me on the ground, as a tent footprint, or over the tarp. It's a bit shorter than it should be, so I may order a larger one and at least get a hex made.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast