Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images

zipper question-HH Explorer

last week i was on a 4day fishing trip with my bro's and hung every night.after many frustrating outtings of trial and error i still can't get used to the bottom entry-in fact i hate it.i'm ussually sweating by the time i get situated and comfy from all the wiggling and manouvering.i have resolved to modify hammock before next outing ,problem is i have to do myself as i don't have the time to send to U.S before next trip.i have ordered the zippers (big #10 boat zips) and don't expect them too soon but was wondering about the process.2 zippers 4ft and 5ft to open from the middle (offset explorer).so do i just attack and cut the net and add zippers or do i need some backing (fronting) to hold netting solid? any help would be great as i think i will stew about this till i get the zippers and give it a go -thx

Unless you used to work in a sewing factory (like my wife did in college) or you used to be a parachute rigger, you will most likely screw your hammock up. Send the thing to 2Questions for an affordable, professional zipper mod or put up with the hammock the way it is on your next trip, or just take a tent. My seamstress wife HATES sewing zippers, and most likely she can sew circles around you. I really hate to come across as a wise-acre, but it is a shame to trash a fine hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I am a very competent DIY stitcher. But I would bite the bullet and send the thing to ZQ. It is worth the price to let her do it.. imo.

I know yolu have already ordered the supplies but I think a #10 zipper is the _wrong_ choice. I would go no higher than a #8 and you could probably use a #5 if it is YKK or some reputable company. I used a #10 on my DIY bridge regretted it from almost the word go. It is so stiff and heavy that it does not perform well. YMMV. The edges of the HH do not take a tremendous amount of stress so the high stress load of a #10 is not needed. I also am not sure what your zipper configuration would be, but it sounds to me like you are not going to do the whole side? I think that may be a mistake and you will end up regretting that choice as well. YMMV. Edit: I just re-read your poat and it sounds like you will be doing one side but with two zippers. You will have a 'barn door ' bug entry hole where those zips meet. The best way to hat is one continuous zipper and double sliders with tabs on both sides.

I am not sure why you have such a problem with the bottom entry. This is not to question your dislike of it, but I have never had to wriggle and squirm and such to get situated. Unless you are using a pad or trying to get into a sleeping bag... in which case... that is the problem, not the bottom entry perse.

In terms of the actual process of doing the zipper, frankly, as I would not do that mod myself I have never really given any serious thought to how I would go about doing it. My money would go to ZQ.

IMO you are better off adapting to the hammock if time is really prohibitive. Or send 2Q/ZQ an email and inquire about expidited service. You never know what they might be able to do unless you ask.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    i have resolved to modify hammock before next outing ,problem is i have to do myself as i don't have the time to send to U.S before next trip.
    May I ask when your next outing trip is? We've done several from Canada and can expedite your order. We just received one from Cambridge. It took 4 days to get here...(he sent it Expedited Parcel - USA), we will send it back in two days. Canada customs delay is the unknown variable.

Zippers are, to some degree, an art form! If you decide to make a go of it yourself, take your time, don't cut until your sure, and go slow. Good luck.
    2Q
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Ditto the above comments - I sent my HH Asym to 2Q/ZQ earlier this spring for the modification and it has now actually been used several times this year. Prior to that, it was relegated to my gear closet in favor of my Speer. I can vouch that dealing with them was a easy experience and the work is GREAT! Money well spent.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    May I ask when your next outing trip is? We've done several from Canada and can expedite your order. We just received one from Cambridge. It took 4 days to get here...(he sent it Expedited Parcel - USA), we will send it back in two days. Canada customs delay is the unknown variable.

Zippers are, to some degree, an art form! If you decide to make a go of it yourself, take your time, don't cut until your sure, and go slow. Good luck.
    2Q
    i will have the thing in the mail on Monday if you can do turn it around in 2 days-i was afraid after seeing this on your site
    Note...If you have a date your hammock must be returned by, let us know. We will review the jobs schedule and determine if we can accommodate your requested date. We’ll make our best efforts to do so. Normally, after we receive your hammock, our turnaround time is 2-3 three weeks.

in fact i would be eternally grateful-it was never about the money and not sure why it came accross that way. -2-3 weeks plus the shipping both ways is like the rest of summer.if you can fit me in please pm me and i'll mail that thing so fast-thx

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images

One of the benefits of working with members on the forums. It _IS_ about the money when DIY goes bad... hehehe.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Sounds like a plan. We can rush yours through and get it out quickly. Go to our website and submit the "Contact Us" order form so we have all your info. Thanks.
    Tim
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    hammock sent! thx 2q

zipper mod

Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    hammock sent! thx 2q
    You won't be sorry sending it to them for the mod.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast