Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to the fun from Waaaay down south.

Most group hangs I've been on have included a good mix of everyone, from young to old, male and female. My wife and kids have joined me at the Annual Florida Hang 3 years now and they want more.

So far, the smaller hangs haven't included them, but there are always couples there and it's always a welcoming atmosphere we have here.

Stay active on the forum and look up the "Forum" tab up top, then the "trip reports" to read and see pics of hangs for inspiration. Then look up your section in trip planning for upcoming events.

Good luck on your hangs.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, WBBB 1.1 & 1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    HG CF, SF, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20*Phx,WL 15*TQ
    Suspension
    Straps, buckles
    Hi Thistle! Woman hanger here. Welcome to the forum! There is invaluable info on this site so dig right in and read and ask questions to your hearts content. The Florida hang in January was my first group hang experience and It totally exceeded my expectations. I highly recommend finding one in your area that's sounds inviting and check it out. In the meantime, I totally agree that you should watch Shug's video series. Definitely a laugh and learn experience!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Welcome! Another female hanger here. I've been hanging since 2007, my husband isn't interested. I started just like you, hanging out in yard. When the first Maryland hang was announced on the forum, I drove from West Virginia to Maryland by myself to camp with a bunch of people I didn't know. Everyone thought I was crazy and would be axed-murdered out in the woods. Well that didn't happen, but I did meet the nicest group of people ever and found a core group of people to hammock camp and backpack with. One of the best things I ever did and everyone including my husband was skeptical. I've been to multiple hangs in multiple state and even got my husband to come to a hang last year in Watoga, WV. He still doesn't have the hanging bug like I do but he at least has met a lot of my hanging friends from this forum.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    My suggestion is to have your husband spend some time watching Shug's videos with you. Just start them up and start laughing, that'll pique his interest. Then let him spend some time on the forums getting to know the culture of the site.
    I feel compelled to respectfully disagree with Ramblinrev. What I would do is work from the opposite direction. I would quietly watch Shug's videos, almost like you do not want your significant other to see what you are watching, I would leave them where he might accidently see them. I would download something interesting and leave the hard copy someplace, like in the bathroom. That kind of changes the dynamics of what you are trying to do with your husband. I used that technique on my kids to get them interested in different things when they were in their teens and rebelling. Anything I suggested was met with resistance. Finally I started leaving literature around the house for them to "find". It worked well, they came around the way I wanted them to, it just saved face. Frequently people act like they are not listening when they really are listening.

If you go and have fun, your husband will probably become interested in what you are doing. He may not admit it, but I bet he will become a bit protective of his interests.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You ladies are a crafty lot! And all the while you let us men believe that we are in charge of our destiny.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Once he sees the hilarity of the Shug...and gets drawn to the stove trials and watching water boil you will be set. Until then, go to your own comfort pace. My 8 and 10 year old daughters started hanging with me last year. I love that they love it and spending time hanging with their old dad. Welcome!! (Grew up in northern IN...way west and north of there now)
    Last edited by Mumbles; 05-03-2014 at 09:34.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    ...I used that technique on my kids to get them interested in different things when they were in their teens and rebelling. Anything I suggested was met with resistance....
    Reminds me of a boss I use to have. He never liked my ideas, but give me two weeks and I could make them his ideas and I would be told to implement them. Manipulation is a wonderful tool.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I also have an uninterested husband. While many people think there are ways to change your spouses mind, I don't know if it will ever happen for me. I can't even get him to go to a state park, and camp in any capacity. I am slowly working on it. So I hammock when my friends use tents and leave my husband at home. Thistle I would be interested in doing something with you maybe us wives of anti- woods husbands need to unite! Send me a pm

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Ad girl, I have the opposite problem. With years of tent camping during our children's youth she now has no interest in being in the woods. She has tried hammocks on a number of occasions but it's just not her thing. Our next Florida Hang will include showers so I may be able to get her out there even if it is in a tent. Wish me luck.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Suspension
    Slap straps
    Lady here as well, had to miss the Hoosier Hang but I'm still hoping to get back out there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123