Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

DIY Ogee Tarp Pattern

One of our fellow forum members asked if I had a pattern for a DIY Ogee Tarp. All credit for this design goes to Gargoyle. He is the developer of this simple, unique and versatile tarp.

One note when constructing... Roll and sew the outside edges of the triangles that you attach to each side of the tarp. You will find that the edge that you roll into the hem of the main tarp body will have a slight bow along its length. Simply trim the edge of each of the triangles so that they are straight before you attach them to the main body of the tarp.

Hope this is helpful.

G-Nut Mega Ogee Pattern.jpg
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Bat-Wing Tarp design.jpg

Here's another pattern using just 4 yards of 60" material; It gives a ridgeline of around 9 feet, with approximately 8 feet width; using 18" tall triangles with 60" wide bases; for the sides; it gives one pretty good coverage

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I like this idea for a light summer tarp that will still give good coverage in a storm.

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    One of our fellow forum members asked if I had a pattern for a DIY Ogee Tarp. All credit for this design goes to Gargoyle. He is the developer of this simple, unique and versatile tarp.

One note when constructing... Roll and sew the outside edges of the triangles that you attach to each side of the tarp. You will find that the edge that you roll into the hem of the main tarp body will have a slight bow along its length. Simply trim the edge of each of the triangles so that they are straight before you attach them to the main body of the tarp.

Hope this is helpful.

This is VERY helpful! Thank you! I've been doing a lot of reading, looking and making my own seems the way to go. It looks like I would spend no more making my own great tarp than it would cost to buy a much less satisfactory passable tarp to be replaced asap. As a woman hiker, I feel the need for privacy as well as desire the heavy cold/wet protection, because I do hike in the rain! LOL. This is perfect. So glad I kept reading until I found it. Delita

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Grapenut,

Do you think the tarp would be as strong if you rolled a hem on all three sides of the triangles and put a rolled hem all the way around the main body of the tarp and then sewed the triangles directly to the rolled hem of the main body instead of rolling the triangle into the rolled hem of the main body?

Sincerely,
    Dave-O

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Grapenut,

Do you think the tarp would be as strong if you rolled a hem on all three sides of the triangles and put a rolled hem all the way around the main body of the tarp and then sewed the triangles directly to the rolled hem of the main body instead of rolling the triangle into the rolled hem of the main body?

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    That is kind of what I did with mine.....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    Grapenut,

Sincerely,
    Dave-O
    Just saw this... I'm sure that would work. I rolled mine in when I did mine though. Happy hangin'!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors

Hope this is helpful.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted this but it has been brought to my attention that I made a mistake on my diagram. It says 12' from end to end and should say 13 if you want to end up with an 11' ridge line. Apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Happy New Year and once again props to Gargoyle for this innovative design. G-Nut ��

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted this but it has been brought to my attention that I made a mistake on my diagram. It says 12' from end to end and should say 13 if you want to end up with an 11' ridge line. Apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Happy New Year and once again props to Gargoyle for this innovative design. G-Nut ��
    If the overall length is supposed to be 13' and the hypotenuse is 5' on the triangles then should the remaining long edges on either side be extended to 4'? or is the 5' dimension extended to 6'? thanks.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    The 3.5' dimensions would become 4', unless you want to change the shape of the side triangles. Basically you're just centering the triangles on the edge.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast