WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks

Am I a victim of marketing ...?

I've been enjoying my winter yeti as I camp out in the yard ( it gets to 20 or so at night here even now) but it is by no means foolproof. Last night I thought I'd try a pad in my double layer but switched to my UQ before even really trying it, so I like my UQ, but I still have random cold spots and general fiddling. My questions are these:

1. Will a full length UQ generally be easier to eliminate cold spots and minimize adjusting? My yeti is great but I often wake up and have to screw around with it or have an inexplicably cold hip or something else.
    2. As I read about full length UQ's I am taken by the description of the sewn-in curve of the HG incubator. I am smitten by the promise - but is it for real? I know all the cottage vendors are great, but the marketing got to me....

Please give me your opinions! Thank you

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    My HG 0º is excellent. First time up and no further adjustment needed. It also appears to have thicker baffles in the torso area putting the down where you need it.
    But, it's my only down UQ so nothing else to compare to except my DIY sewn PLUQ.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I own four HG quilts (a 20* and a 0* set), so I'm probably not the person to ask. However, I find HG quilts to be top notch. I've taken both sets down to 3 degrees (it only gets so cold in NJ so my cold-weather hanging experience is limited).

Most of my cold spots were psychological - I needed someone else to take a look at my setup and tell me I was crazy. I was seriously imagining cold spots. Once an experienced hanger looked at my setup and told me I was crazy, I haven't been cold since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My Yeti has always done the job for me. Little tweaking to get used to UQs in general. Like SS said...some of it for me in the beginning was physiological.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    When Shug says carry forth... I carry forth.

My cold spots were definitely physiological, not psychological... I just wondered if a full length UQ tended to be warmer/ less prone to cold spots...
    But about the psychological.... Last night I inexplicably got in my hammock fell deep asleep and felt great.. My comfort level has improved with additional equipment but also just over time. I see this phenomenon mentioned all the time but it has been pretty profound for me. This whole hammocking business is strange. But you meet the nicest people!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    Oh I forgot, after watching Shugs video 7 or 8 I realized the previous owner had sewn on grosgrain loops for up to the ridge line suspension on my yeti, so I'll try that too..

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    I find the 3/4 length easier to dial in. I thought the full length would be a simple fix, but there is a lot of room for dead spots that aren't snug. Then I found my Ridgerunner/Lynx combo and there is no fiddling with it.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Marketing is powerful. I really think we need to go to group Hangs to find out what we really like and what works for our particular need. I have amassed too many hammocks I finally found one that works great for me, the advertising for it was not all that great, it required me trying out the hammock, I new right away it was a perfect fit for me. Going to a Hang you can look over other peoples gear and see/feel what it is like, maybe climb in and try it out.

I fell for the marketing of one brand in particular, after three hammock purchases I learned the hammock was just too big for me and I hated the bug net and the hammock made me feel claustrophobic.

I have two very nice, well made underquilts, guess what I use? My own creation, using Ikea bargain bin finds. I really like it and it keeps me warm and toasty, pretty it is not, functional it is, cheap it is. I do not care if it gets muddy or icky, I just throw it in the washer and it will be good to go again.

I do not like fiddle factor things, I avoid them at this stage in life. I want to get in my hammock, go to sleep, no fiddling. When I was younger I enjoyed fiddling things to get them just perfect. That part of my life is over, I just keep things as simple as possible. LOL

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm an extremely cold sleeper, and I find full-length underquilts warmer than partial underquilts - provided you get the set-up right. Full-length underquilts are heavier and tend to sag in the middle, creating cold spots. However, I got one of the new HG Incubators in the beginning of the year, and the secondary suspension seems to have eliminated all of my cold spot issues. I'm considering "upgrading" my other full-length underquilts (including an old-style Incubator) with a HG style secondary suspension. If you can afford it, get an HG Incubator. If you really find it to be no improvement, it should be easy to sell with very little loss.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    It appears the heavier the UQ the more important the tension loops are (the shock cord from the grosgrain loops prussic'ed to the suspension) I find that my 45* WL 3/4 SSUQ really doesn't need tension loops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmuddy View Post
    Oh I forgot, after watching Shugs video 7 or 8 I realized the previous owner had sewn on grosgrain loops for up to the ridge line suspension on my yeti, so I'll try that too..
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast