Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a lot more that can create problems besides timing. Like the old cars..timing needed to be checked but for the most part it required only minor adjustments and still even ran kind of well if it was a little off. The same is true of the old sewing macine timing thing. NOTE: electronic circuit board machines are a whole different kettle of fish and unless you are an electronics wizard it is best to let those only get worked on internally by a trained mechanic.

Cleaning and lubing the machine will make a huge difference in how it runs. But more than that I advocate a tip to the sewing machine mechanic for the support networking. You know how it's nice to have a car mechanic that you go to on a regular basis so you can wander in and ask a question and get a decent answer? Well, for us gear makers, especially with the older machines, it's nice to be able to do the same thing. Plus, every once in a while a part will go wonkers and need to be replaced. Most of the time a dealer is about the only place you can find some of those things unless you are a mechanic quality yourself. Plys it never hurts to get some lessons. Even if you are a seasoned stitcher there are things the pros can teach us or remind us about.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    Our wives think we are turning "gay".

remember... We don't Sew.... We Make Gear...
    -i love that-takes all the gay away

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    What type of thread are you using? When I first broke out the sewing machine I hadn't used since I was a kid, the old cotton thread was causing me all kinds of problems. Even when I switched to polyester for outdoor gear, I had some that shedded and frayed really easily, causing all kinds of problems with my machine. I switched to Gutermann's 100% polyester and have one less thing to worry about in my life.

A well-oiled machine also makes a world of difference.

I use a late 60s White and it's just fine. It does sew some crazy hippie stitch patterns, though. Some of the zigzag options look like they were designed for multi-colored thread on a denim vest.

I'd recommend just getting some scraps of the material you're going to be working with and experiment with both bobbin and top tension settings using a straight stich. Eventually you'll hit a sweet spot. Write it down so you remember the settings and plunge headlong into the addiction.

Gotta go sew a kilt...
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    experiment with both bobbin and top tension
    I will take issue with this suggestion when it comes to a newbie to a sewing machine. The bobbins are really not intended to be adjusted once they leave the factory. They _can_ be but there is really no need to do so unless you are using a thread that was not intended to be used in that machine. The tension adjustment for the top thread is usually wide enough to compensate for changes required from the bobbin. The bobbin case can experience excessive wear and need to have adjustments made but in that case you would be well served to replace the whole bobbin case if possible. A worn bobbin case can contribute to other problems.

_IF_ you decide to play with the bobbin tension then do so in very small increments and keep very careful notes of the changes you make so that you can return to the default setting easily. However, in general the bobbin is fixed... the top thread is where the tensions is adjusted.

This picture shows a wad of thread on the bottom of the fabric. It is caused by a top tension that is too loose.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Fair enough... it is a can of worms and can be frustrating before it's rewarding. Top tension first.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    don't sew kilt out of DWR, very clammy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12