ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Keeping it still

New hanger here, and having trouble with keeping my pad in place.

I'm in an ENO DN, so no double-layer -- I'm directly on the pad. I've tried a Thermarest Z-lite sol (the accordian pad), and it was both too narrow and kept folding up on me. I then switched to a self-inflating pad (also 20" wide) which worked better, but I still woke up at 5 am with it all bunched up at my feet (I'm using a sleeping bag instead of a top quilt, BTW). I guess I'm a restless sleeper -- who knew?

So I'm looking at a way to keep things in place. I'm considering either a modified CCF or an SPE. However, if I run into the same shifting around issues, I may end up going to a UQ, so I don't want to spend a ton on something I might be replacing. Any ideas which would be best at keeping the pad still?

BTW, if I do go with the "t-shaped" CCF, what do most people recommend to attach the two pieces?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You have got several options.

If you are using a sleeping bag, try putting the pad *in* your sleeping bag. I have never done this, but I've read about others doing it successfully.

Then you could get or make a double layer hammock. This would help with the moving pad. However, most people sooner or later end up with an underquilt. Pads simply have a lot of issues; you already found that it is not easy to keep the pad in place. With a double layer hammock, the pad is held in place, but I found that I still often ended up slipping off the pad. Then you'll need additional insulation for your shoulders, which adds bulk and weight. And most people have condensation issues on pads.

You could also sew a pad pocket - maybe even an SPE-type of pocket - into your hammock.

And of course, you could get or make an underquilt. Frankly, if you like sleeping in a hammock, this is probably the best option. Unless you have to go to ground frequently, you'll probably get an underquilt sooner or later. Yes, underquilts are not cheap. But it would solve your problem and save you time (and money you might spend on trying other options). You could go for a synthetic underquilt. They are cheaper than down and I hear they work equally well. They are just a little bit bulkier and somewhat heavier (if you compare them to an equally sized and warm down underquilt), but they are better than down uqs in humid conditions.

With regards to your last question: if you go with a cheap CCF pad for your SPE, you can simply use duct tape to attach the shoulder insulation to your main pad. If you want a more professional solutions, search for "SPE" or "Segmented Pad Extender" on the forum. There are instructions on how to make them somewhere.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Thanks for the detailed reply. Sadly, my wife has banned me from the sewing machine, so any sewing projects are off the table.

But that's an interesting idea about the "pad in the bag" idea -- I think I saw that in another older post. Seems counter-intuitive (and as a hot sleeper, I worry about the sweat), but it's something that is free to try.

I completely agree with your point about most people end up in an UQ. I started some research and noticed that KAQ sells a 3/4 quilt for $100, and it seems to have pretty good reviews. I'm returning my Atlas straps to REI today and was considering swapping them out for the ENO Hotspot, but that $30 might be better put towards the UQ fund.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You could get yourself a cheap sleeping bag liner and try to use the pad in the liner. This might help keeping it in place, while still allowing you to vent the sleeping bag.

I own the ENO Hot Spot and I'm not overly impressed with it. It's heavier than I would like and the shoulder coverage is inadequate for me. I would save the money for an underquilt. You could probably DIY one even without a sewing machine. Have a look in the DIY sub-forum; if you sleep hot anyways, a simple DIY underquilt made from a fleece blanket might suffice. You could also do a cheap DIY gathered end hammock (with tied ends, not sewn) and use it as a second layer under your main hammock - then put in whatever insulation you have. People have been using sleeping bags between the layers. Lots of things work if you take care not to compress too much. Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    a trick ground dwellers sometimes use to keep from sliding around the tent floor is to apply some seam sealer in strips to the tent floor. It might be worth putting some on your pad in increase friction between the pad and the hammock.

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    good idea mjs3350! I hadn't really thought of applying that to a pad.

UQ's are great, and I think the KAQ UQ or something similar in that price range is a good way to see if UQ's suit you. But there is obviously still a price premium.
    Since you've been banished from the sewing machine, it's difficult to recommend anything that's not "off the shelf." I've slept in a single layer hammock with just a pad inside and sleeping bag and it was ok but not the best. SPE type products can provider better pad coverage (like the ENO hotspot) but as hutzelbein pointed out, not everyone likes them. They're probably best DIY'ed and made out of super light rip-stop nylon and have pockets that are customized to provide the right amount of "wings" and pad for YOU. You may be able to look up a cottage vendor who could customize something like this for a fairly low cost (I'd imagine less than 1/2 of what an entry level UQ would cost).

Surplus military poncho Liner's can sometimes also be rigged up with little or no modification to provide decent under-hammock insulation in milder weather conditions. They are quite large, can be doubled over, and are fairly economical.

Hammock
    DIY Single layer Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/ Whoopie
    The Best Pad I have found, that tends to stay in place the best and is somewhat comfortable is the Blue Walmart foam pads. there cheap and tend to stay put.
    The only downside is there narrow. I bought two and added some width to the shoulder area by cutting one up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG, AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Walmart also sells a 25" width foam pad that has texture on one side. It's double layered, but not the one with open cell foam with an egg crate top, and it costs a little more than the blue one everybody else talks about. I got one, but haven't tried using it yet. I think it would be wide enough for your shoulders (though I have never met you, so who knows), and the textured side may help keep it in place.
    *Formerly "kleinrider"; no longer own any Klein bikes, so figured a change was in order.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Apply peices of rubbery shelf liner. Put in place, put you on it, likely will stay put.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    SEam sealer or caulk spots seem to work well in preventing movement. Can your good lady not be persuaded to sew the SPE fpr you? I use a Walmart blue pad, cut in half to give a 3 ft torso pad which I find adequate for fair weather back packing. as 20" is not wide enough, I overlap by about 10 inches the two half pads to make a 36" by 30" overall composite pad. to join them, overlap the pads about 10". punch two sets of holes about 4" apart towards the top and bottom of the pads, thread a short length of mason line through each set of two holes and tie loosely. When you pack next morning, unlace, push together to make a 20" wide double pad, roll and secure with the mason line lengths. That way it packs like a regular CCF pad. If you are camping not hiking you can duct tape the pieces together in an SPE format as compact packing will not be a requirement.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast