Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by @Diagonal View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1296042

Anybody have an answer? I'm holding off hanging from the wall until I understand how to do this.
    Sorry I did not respond to that question just now got back to this thread. There are many variables that may or may not apply to your particular application. If you have not already discussed it with a qualified person at a good hardware store or a local handyman I may be able to help with PM. The are many possible solutions that will work. Depends on how many times safety factor you want. I.e. largest adult plus child or pet in single hammock weighs 200 lbs but some time some one may hang at low angle with 3 large people and create 800 pounds of tension in the anchor, hopefully only the anchors pop out, a minor repair no one is injured, no big deal. Bottom line what does your unique wall look like what are your requirements, take some photos to a local H.W. store discuss it with them.
    Edit: Most of the best hammock hanging ideas I have used over the past 30 years have come from the good helpful folks at the local hardware store, from technicians and engineers at work and even some day labors helping me with home construction and yard work who never went to H.S. and only spoke Spanish (I will surely get flamed for saying that). But I bought them extra large hamburgers at What a burger with everything they wanted on it because they made me work much harder, longer, and smarter than if I had been by myself AND improved my Spanish. ;-)
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 08-12-2014 at 08:54. Reason: edit: how I learned this stuff from others

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Just finished replacing my son's bed with a hammock. I think it worked out pretty well. I'll post again if there are issues

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    And... Already in use... uploadfromtaptalk1407889078280.jpg

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    ^--Ah-h-h...perfect bliss.

It never occurred to me until I did some research on the forums the other night, but someone raised the issue of using similar hardware and attaching to the walls possibly crushing the dry wall. See my last post in this thread for a method that I think is better when using such hardware.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    Dragonfly Pro
    Insulation
    SLD QuikHang UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm not so concerned about crushing the drywall a little. I'm comfortable repairing drywall if I ever take the hammock down...

Now my older son wants to replace his bed!

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Misc hardware for hanging and tips I have learned.

Some links to some fairly heavy duty hardware anchors just incase multiple people, large kids etc might be hanging. I know because believe it or not I was once a kid. You could tell my friends and me only one at a time but get us all hyped up on sugar and we would spontaneously give it a 600-1000 lb load test just so good old Dad could repair that wall and get all red faced yelling at us AGAIN. LOL

Anchors are only one part of a teen resistant hanging system of coarse:

METOLIUS - S.S. BOLT HANGER on sale now $3 each, but typically $3.50 3/8 or 1/2" lag screws required but not included.
    Rated at 5620 lbf straight down but only half of that at about 60 degrees from wall (typical hanging angle) or 1/3 of that directly out from the wall i.e. 8kN vs 25kN. This is all common climber's knowledge, high school physics etc.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/metol...B#.U-46XFZtnwI

Heavy Duty Folding Pad Eye from bosun supplies $15 each, Stainless Steel rated at 1200 pounds requires two 1/4" lag screws not included, but obviously required. "Universal Stainless Pad Eye Backing Plate" for $5.39 not a bad idea on the backside of your horizontal beam that spans several vertical wall studs. I have seen bolts rip through soft wood, a large washer may also work for you.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Heavy-D...lding-Pad-Eye/

Stainless Steel Lag Screws:

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Stainle...el-Lag-Screws/

Grades of Steel, some must repeat a grade, say what?
    http://www.graphskill.com/2011/03/21...-to-fasteners/

There are also several vendors of metric M10 and M12 stainless Steel lag screws on eBay but most do not specify the property classes: 50 (soft) , 70 (cold-worked) & 80 (high-strength), this is very disturbing to me as an Engineer, but most American Fastener companies do not rate their lag screws either if you can find one that is at least Grade 5 strength or hardness that is good. For 1/2" or larger Grade 8 would be super good but not necessary. Like if you are trying to get a large horse or ox to sleep in a hammock out in the barn, OH my humor can be a bit silly at times. Have fun and avoid SBS (sore butt syndrome).

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    METOLIUS - S.S. BOLT HANGER on sale now $3 each, but typically $3.50 3/8 or 1/2" lag screws required but not included.
    Rated at 5620 lbf straight down but only half of that at about 60 degrees from wall (typical hanging angle) or 1/3 of that directly out from the wall i.e. 8kN vs 25kN. This is all common climber's knowledge, high school physics etc.
    So given the specs and price, why would anyone choose something other than the Metolius?

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    So given the specs and price, why would anyone choose something other than the Metolius?
    A 5/16" x 5" eyebolt at each end works great for me. 2x6 exterior studs go in all the way and a 4" for the 2x4 interior wall studs if you don't want any hanging out. Two years, no problems. 1980 slap it up construction, nothing special.

Just get the 30 degree hang right for least stress on the walls.

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Muletape straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    A 5/16" x 5" eyebolt at each end works great for me. 2x6 exterior studs go in all the way and a 4" for the 2x4 interior wall studs if you don't want any hanging out. Two years, no problems. 1980 slap it up construction, nothing special.

Just get the 30 degree hang right for least stress on the walls.
    I have had the same experience with the same equipment...good sleep.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images

TimberbeastWaco Suspension

I used the Eye screws in the bedroom and ENo in the living room with rings and straps to tune all in. Don't forget when using rings and straps you load them from the top then back up this way you have all the wt on the rings against the strap then pull the tag up through the rings and tie a hitch with a slip tag pull, no slipping easy to adjust, i also use one ring to adj my ridge line from inside to outside, hang to hang. I hope this helps. I will try to add pics.
    IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast