Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

My first DIY Gathered End Hammock- Lightweight Style (ish)

So, this is my first attempt at a DIY project. I've got a DD Camping hammock that is a hefty 29oz, especially given the fact it doesn't have a bugnet, so I decided to make my own lightweight hammock. I used the lightest ripstop nylon I could find in the UK which came in around 2oz/square yard, 1 yard of 1" polyester webbing for corner reinforcements and Gutermann 100% polyester thread. I used a square piece of fabric 118" x 59", hemmed the perimeter, used a box stitch to sew in the webbing on each corner, and then took about 3" at each end and rolled it three times to create the channel, I secured this with four rows of stitching. That was everything!

Final dimensions came out at 102" x 58" and weighing just over 11oz.

In hindsight, it may be a tiny tiny bit short me, given the fact I am 6 ft 2, but I had a pretty nice diagonal lay on it this afternoon so I think I might just get away with it. On the MkII I think I will make the sides a little narrower, increase the length, and definitely make the channel a lot smaller. All the material has gathered in a fan-like manner as a result of the 3 inch channel, you'll see it in the photos.

I'm really pleased with hows its come out, although I can't help but feel slightly shown-up by all the awesome XTrekker style hammocks popping up on the forum. I'm still working out my plans for the bug net, not sure whether to go the Fronky style no zipper, or make a MkII hammock with an integrated bug nut. For now, my plans turn to a tarp...

Hope you enjoy the photos.
    Cheers,
    Tom.

All hemmed and ready to be gathered:

DIY-H1.jpg

This is inside the channel, the webbing sewn in for extra reinforcement/abrasion resistance:

DIY-H4.jpg

My assistant got quickly bored with the project:

DIY-H7.jpg

Here's the fanning I was talking about earlier:

DIY-H5.jpg

And relax... finally...

DIY-H8.jpg

Hammock
    11' Nylon w/knotty
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Slings/toggles
    looks like a successful project! That stitching doesn't look like it's coming out anytime soon, especially with those webbing reinforcements.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Nice job tom
    My progress, finished the hammock today 120" x 60", two whoopie slings. Tomorrow: tree huggers. Then a short trial hang in my back yard.

Later: tarp of clear poly cro 10' x 12' or so, underquilt, bug net

We are really getting this done on the cheap! I can't wait to hang in the a.m.

Images
    Nice job. I like the contrasting thread.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dimjim View Post
    looks like a successful project! That stitching doesn't look like it's coming out anytime soon, especially with those webbing reinforcements.
    I sure hope not! Otherwise I am going to have a very sore butt!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    Nice job tom
    My progress, finished the hammock today 120" x 60", two whoopie slings. Tomorrow: tree huggers. Then a short trial hang in my back yard.

Later: tarp of clear poly cro 10' x 12' or so, underquilt, bug net

We are really getting this done on the cheap! I can't wait to hang in the a.m.
    I look forward to seeing your finished setup, be sure to post some pictures. And you're going to do it really cheap! I hadn't come across polycro before, really interesting material, you're going to save a tonne of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMc View Post
    Nice job. I like the contrasting thread.
    Cheers Simon, I've ordered my silnylon in black and plan on using orange reinforcing material and the orange thread again, gonna have a colour coded camp!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    "I hadn't come across polycro before, really interesting material, you're going to save a tonne of weight. "

the backpackinglight.com forum inspired me to make a 6 ounce 7' x 10' tarp ($6 at Wa-mart--end of season pricing) for ground camping. Forum members tested it under snow loads. When I camped with it, I was really outside & I loved having simultaneously a skylight and rain protection. For the tie-outs, I used 3M "clear" duct tape (2120?), said to have strength, stick and UV resistance.

"on the cheap" That is, compared to buying pre-made retail. My sewing machine has returned its cost many times over. Here's the 411:
    DIY:
    Thread: Guterman Tera--Tex 50: 656 yards $3.75 I used < 10 yards, definitely under $0.10
    Hammock: I got 1.6 oz ripstop 2nds from diygearsupply.com, $3.75 per yard. weight 9 oz. 3.33 yd = $12.50 [Walmart had no ripstop)
    zip tie to gather hammock ends: lying around. cost =$0
    Whoopie sling: Amsteel blue 1/8" @$0.36 per foot (no 7/64" in stock zip when ordered). 30' = $10.80
    A Utility Constrictor Rope UCR would save ~10' though it needs a little more care in use.
    Tree huggers: Black poly webbing, 0.2 oz/ foot, 14' @$0.35/ft = $4.90
    Shipping from diygear $12/3 (I bought enough for 3 hammocks for friends and family )
    Sales Tax= $0
    To hook the whoopie to the tree hugger, I may use a marlin spike hitch, with found things like pvc pipe or metal rod e.g., cut off aluminum tent stake. Cost =$0
    Total=$28.30
    weight 399 gm = ~14 ounces

Pre-made retail:
    ENO singlenest, weight 18 oz: $59.95
    ENO suspension, weight 11 oz: $29.95
    WA state sales tax 8.7%= $7.82
    Shipping: $0
    Grand total $97.72
    Weight 29 oz.
    Last edited by kayak4water; 05-01-2014 at 15:00.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    (I bought enough for 3 hammocks for friends and family )
    Sounds like you're going to have a lot of stitching to take up your retirement!

But your breakdown really does show just how cost (and weight) effective it is to make your own gear, especially if you already have a sewing machine in the family.

Have you considered using Amsteel soft shackles to attach your whoopies to the tree huggers? They are really easy to make and weigh about 0.2oz, plus they only use 3 ft of Amsteel, so can be made for $1 each!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Hi Tom,

My 7' long tree huggers have only one loop. I hold up the loop next to the tree, wrap the free end around the tree and then pass the free end through the loop. I pull on the free end, cinching the loop against the tree. With a tree circumference of one foot I will then have six feet of webbing available for a marlin spike hitch. I have seen people using biners or Dutch thingies where I pass the free end through the single loop, which leads me to hope I didn't over-simplify the suspension. Will my simplification lead to a mishap, injury, premature death?

Scan_20140501.jpg

I love the concept of the soft shackles. I'd make one just to make one. Maybe even try to use it to replace a hard biner in a PCT style bear bag hang.

jeff. (forgot to sign earlier)

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly/Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Hi Jeff,

Nice to meet you, glad to find a fellow 'new-hanger'. Aah I see, the tree straps I brought when I first started hanging came with two sewn loops, one on each end, but tree huggers with just one sewn loop are perfectly suitable also. As long as the stitching was sewn properly on the loop (usually a series of bar-tacks and cross stitches I believe) then you're method looks absolutely fine to me. The dutch clips and carabiners you may have seen others use are there to simplify and speed up the set-up and pack-down process.

You could hang using your tree huggers as they are currently, with a marlin spike hitch, or you could sew a second loop into the tree huggers and use a soft shackle. It's your call, Hang You Own Hang as they say!

I am currently using a lightweight climbing grade biner to connect my tree huggers to my whoopie slings, they weigh 1.2oz each and are rated to nearly 5400lb when closed, the soft shackles weigh 0.18oz and have a breaking strain of 1500lb I am led to believe. I like the climbing biner because it is very easy to clip in, the soft shackle is a little more fiddily, but if I was looking to shave off some weight the biners would be the first thing to go.

Hammock
    DIYGS 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Blue HarborFreight
    Insulation
    sleeping bag &amp; pad
    Suspension
    dynaglide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by magic354 View Post
    This is inside the channel, the webbing sewn in for extra reinforcement/abrasion resistance:
    DIY-H4.jpg
    Eerily similar to the one I made yesterday (close in size, also 4 rows of orange thread, grosgrain sewn in the edges. But I used 1.1oz brown fabric and orange UCRs (to match the orange thread).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast