The Blackbird of Happiness
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS, Heat sheet
    Suspension
    Dutch clips

Question How Many Hammocks and Why?

I've noticed a lot of people here seem to own more than one hammock so I got to wondering why? Is it beacuse we're all gear-heads, or do you use them for different purposes?

So, how many hammocks do you own, and why do you own different types?
    Kerri

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

my why

First was an HH Backpacker a-sym for obvious reasons-I wanted to evolve
    added no.2, another HH Backpacker a-sym for the oldest daughter who hikes
    added no.3, HH Lite Racer to save weight
    added no.4, Speer 8 to use with a PeaPod for really cold temps (most UQs at that time had not reach the level of proficiency they have now)
    added no.5 CrazyCreekCrib to have on hand for others to use
    added.no.6 Warbonnet Blackbird because the Lite Racer developed a small tear.
    adding no 7. Warbonnet Blackbird, this one dedicated to hiking,it has lines versus straps to save weight, the first will be dedicated to paddle camping......
    I work every other week, so 2 weeks a month almost year round I'll be hanging somewhere.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    1. The Travel Hammock. It was my first hammock, it has no-net and is very light. It now stays in my grab-and-go day hiking pack.
    2. Claytor Mosquito Hammock. I sometimes consider getting a different one, but I just love the way I lay in this
    3. Skeeter Beeter. I have it for others to borrow.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    1. ENO Singlenest - Received it as a gift, but still use it quite often. I have added all the accoutrements for it. It also is my loaner hammock.

2. Blackbird - Decided to upgrade to a premium hammock.

No more yet, but I'm looking at more. Can't have too much of a good thing.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

How many hammocks should one have?

I own a JRB BMBH and I love it. However my buddy just got a new Blackbird and he let me try it out. It was great, much wider then my jrb, so now I have a blackbird in order. I like having options and extra gear when I take newbie's out for their first outing. Plus I just love having lots of gear.

pisanodc

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1 - Old style net camping hammock from PX - I was a kid and it's what I could afford. I camped off and on with this from ~1992 until my first AT trip somewhere around 2003. Thought I had something original until I started looking at how to cut weight and stumbled on the Hennessy line.
    2 - HH BULA as my starter hammock.
    3-??? Bunch of DIYs once I got bit by the bug. Most are simply Speer-type hammocks where I was playing with length, width, whipping options, two-layers, etc. Probably made 10 of these, all told. Several have integrated insulation, which made the weight savings worth it when I was looking at a full-length underquit. With half-underquilts they may not be worth it...still making up my mind on that.
    4 - Moskito Traveller - wanted to see how cheaply I could get a bug net hammock for the kids. Bought 3 on sale and didn't keep any of them.
    5-6 - Warbonnet El Dorado (2) - wanted a zipper and an upgrade to the Hennessy. Had one made from 1.1 oz olive drab for Joker and a 1.9 oz green one for me. Used this one quite a bit. Still one of my favorites.
    7 - Crazy Creek Crazy Crib - test for BGT. Good hammock, and comfortable with a 3" air mattress, but too heavy for backpacking. Sold this one.
    8 - JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock - wanted to see what the bridge craze was all about, and my wife was complaining that the BULA wasn't flat enough. She liked the flatness but didn't feel comfortable getting in and out. It's definitely the flattest hammock I've been in.
    9 - HH Explorer - wife wanted more room than the BULA but likes the entry style. Haven't had this one in the field yet but I'll probably add zippers to it first.
    10 - Warbonnet Blackbird. Sent as a gift from HammockForums while I was overseas. Used it several times over there in less than optimal conditions...can't wait to get it in the field.

I'm also outfitting 4 people, so now I have at least 4 full-on setups for family trips. The problem is when I have to decide who gets what insulation!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    1) Hennessy Hyperlite - my first intro to the hanging world and served me well for a couple years. Now considering making some of the side entry modifications to get more utility from this hammock. I don't see myself ever going back to bottom entry. At 21.2oz w/o tarp, still a reasonably lightweight solution with full bug protection.
    2) JRB BMBH - Picked one up right after they came out. I enjoyed the flat lay, but due to the weight and larger tarp requirement, it never became my main hammock. I keep it around for guests or car camping. Also was not impressed with the initial suspension solution. This was before they came out with tri-glides.
    3) Warbonnet Blackbird - got one last fall after hearing all the wonderful things. Initially I got a SL 1.1 with line/strap suspension. I decided to upgrade the hammock to a webbing/biner suspension after seeing the videos on how easy they were to use. I eventually decided that at my weight (185) a DL 1.1 would work better and traded the SL 1.1 off and purchased a DL 1.1.
    4) ENO Doublenest - Picked it up at REI using my member discount. Used it on a backpacking trip to hook my wife on hammocking. Being able to sit next to each other and enjoy our meals was very nice.
    5) Warbonnet Blackbird - picked up a SL 1.7 for the wife and round out the collection.
    6) Warbonnet Traveler - I looked at how much weight my gear was trending towards and decided I needed to have a more minimal solution for longer mileage trips. My SL 1.7 Traveler with line/strap suspension weighs 15.45oz, roughly half the weight of my DL 1.1.
    7) Key Largo Parachute Traveler Hammock - Could not resist the cheap price for a hammock with bug protection. Planning to give to my stepson for his intro to hammocking.

Sheesh, I really am a sick gearhead. When does it stop? Never I hope .

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    yes, gearhead.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

I have 4.

Bought the Travel Hammock Skeeter Pro before I knew anything about camping hammocks just to rest dring the day.

After researching for caming, I bought the Clark NA because I felt it was the best for me.

I then wanted the Clark Tropical for warmer nights here in the south. I went back with Clark because of the fit and finish of the NA.

Finally I bought the Hennesy Asym Expedition because so many liked the Hennesy and I wanted to see what I was missing if anything. I bought it used here at what I thought was a good deal for a trial. I have yet to hang in it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ah geez, I don't want to think about it.
    From memory:

2 HH Expeditions
    1 HH Deep Jungle Explorer
    1 HH No-Net Explorer
    1 Warbonnet ElDorado
    2 Warbonnet Blackbirds
    1 Warbonnet Traveler (on order)
    1 Trek Light Double
    1 Trek Light Single
    1 ENO Double
    2 ENO Singles
    1 TTTM Single
    1 Blue Parrot Single
    1 Claytor No-Net
    1 Claytor Expedition
    1 DD Camping hammock
    2 Traveler Hammocks
    1 JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock (not mine, but it lives in my house)
    1 Speer IIIA
    1 Speer 8.5
    1 Byer Moskito Traveller

24 off the top of my head. It does seem like something is missing, but it's early and I'm too tired to care. Plus, my DIY creations and all my home sleepers. The later two probably put me over 40.

I, at least, have a plausible excuse/reason. Since I have started this little meetup.com group for hammock camping, I need to be sure I have enough hammocks for people to try and get a good representation of what's out there in hammockland. That's my story, and I am sooooo sticking to it!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast