Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrprince View Post
    Since you don't want to build a stand, what about sinking a post into the ground near one of the trees and using it as your second tie off spot?
    Wouldnt i need concrete to do this? This is a rental dont think the landlord would like a random post cemented in haha or would sinking say a 4" pole a few extra feet work the same

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post

If your trees are robust, it is just a issue of getting your hang point high enough.

Good Luck

EDIT: Sorry, I now see Bubba already referenced this tool.
    Trees a nice thick and tall so getting it up there doesnt bug me. But putting it so high so far apart wont effect balance or anything if angles are perfect?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
    . But putting it so high so far apart wont effect balance or anything if angles are perfect?
    The arc of any sway induced would be longer (much longer) but, your center of gravity will be (should be) at the bottom of this arc. I am not clear what balance would be altered. Keep in mind, you will still be just 18-24 inches from the ground, only the hang points will be higher than a more conventionally spaced hang (again - assuming proper hang angles).

I have acheived a high degree of comfort using most of 25' accessory ropes at each end, looped through the upper limbs of trees. I will admit that I had more difficulty with the fine tuning, mostly due to streach in the ropes.
    I beleive you should be able to obtain non-strech straps of appropriate length for less than $20.

As far as weight tolerance, my experience was with an ENO DN, a spouse and a son; total weight ~ 425 maybe 435 lbs. I still felt we were well within this set-up's capabilities.

So, even if your hanging options aren't ideal, my guess is you will find away to make it work comfortably.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I hang at 26 feet and about 30 inches high with no problems at all. I had to use a ladder to put my tree straps on with
    I'm not completely stupid, just "Nucking Futz"

Hammock
    Gathered end table cloth
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Sheetbend
    i have hung at 34 feet tree separation in my back yard with no ill effects. the bungee coord tie outs on my Hennessy help with the swaying but i hadn't heard of the unbalancing issues before now. guess i need to do a bit more reading on here.

Anchor points that are far apart make for a long "pendulum", which I find very pleasant for lounging. The hammock has a slow, long swing instead of the quick back-and-forth rocking you get with a short suspension. There is no other difference to speak of. I would put my straps up nice and high and go for it. 24 ft isn't that far apart, so just push your straps up as high as you can and see if that's high enough for a good hang angle. If not, bring in the ladder, climb the trees etc.

BTW I've put up my hammock across a small valley once, the two anchor points were probably about 40 ft apart. It was fun. I do plan to pack some rope and try out some really wide gaps sometime soon.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

2nd pole installation and removal

Quote Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
    Wouldnt i need concrete to do this? This is a rental dont think the landlord would like a random post cemented in haha or would sinking say a 4" pole a few extra feet work the same
    I like old gringo's 2X4 bipod or tripod idea (comment #7) the best for the 2nd pole, then use a tree as the 1st. However…

If you dig a modestly small diameter hole (2-3' deep, soil dependent) fill in with a minimal amount of dry concrete mix, then slowly add water allow it to set for a few days, this will be easier to pull when you move to a different property. Observe how fence constructions crews do it. Typically they will attach a cross bar down a foot or so from the ground, place a car jack on a flat board or 2x4s and jack it out, or jacks on both sides. Not as complicated or difficult as it sounds. Just call up a Fence company/contractor near you and ask if you can stop by and watch them on site. Bring them donuts or something, they love that. Heck for a case of adult beverages and $50 they may remove the post for you, then just fill in the hole add sod and you're golden. Ask fence contractor about foundation depth on post, this is dependent on your soil type and several other factors. Heavy duty tripod is better.

"muéstrame cómo" show me how

A fun way to install a post with minimal digging:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...le-Driver-idea
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 05-31-2014 at 15:39. Reason: Spelling and clarification

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    for a 24' span,strapswill need to be 11-12 feet high. for a 30 degree hang. With 500 lb plus in the hammock, even at 30 degrees the horizontal force on the tree (or post) will be in excess of 500 lbs . IMO you would be better off with a turtle dog type stand with a steel fence rail to take the horizontal compression force between the tripod stands (approx. 1000 lbs).

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Steel or Aluminum Tripod Stand, Thread

PDA makes a good point a TurtleDog stand with all Steel or Aluminum tripod posts could be very strong and then you could move it to wherever you want.

This hardware for the top of the tripod is an interesting idea I have not tried but might be longer lasting than some of the other methods:

Attachment 86912

be sure to read there this thread (comment #314 had that HW):

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ary-Pole-Stand

as well as the original TurtleDog stand thread for the wooden version.

BTW if you leave the tripod stand out in your yard uncovered for months, consider using galvanized chain or stainless steel cable instead of Amsteel. UV shortens the life of most cord and webbing. I have heard people complain about webbing rated at over 1000 lbs breaking and the person only weighted 250 lbs, ask them how long is was in their yard… no response.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    my normal camping spot is 22' apart. I put my straps almost as high as I can reach.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Let me just make myself clear, the steel fence rail is for the horizontal rail above the hammock in a Turtle Dog stand. It takes the 1000 lb compression load. The tripods will each take 250lb (1/2 of (350 + 150) so can be of lighter material

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast