Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots

Knots

What's up with the Hennessy knot?

The Expedition Asym conveniently has instructions printed on the stuff sack. The problem is that their instructions are vague and a little confusing. To combat this they have included an illustration. The illustration has only served to increase the confusion. So, I ignored everything and hung the hammock my way. It seemed to work OK.

The next time I hung the hammock I made an effort to do it per Hennessy's instructions. For me, this was an exercise in frustration. I don't get the Hennessy knot or "lashing" as they call it. Does anyone use this "lashing"? Does it provide any advantage? I gave up trying to figure it out and used regular knots that I was already familiar with. I used a clove hitch and 2 half hitches. The hammock stayed up, with me in it, for the entire afternoon. I even took a nap.

Is there any reason not to use clove hitches to hang the hammock? Is there some advantage to using a different set of knots to keep the hammock up? What knots do you use to hang?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Undershaft, by no means am I an expert on knots, but from what I know about the Hennessy and what I know about knots, I don't see any reason why a clove hitch wouldn't work. When I was in service, we routinely used teh clove hitch for everything from simple lashing to securing rope to the anchors of the rappelling tower. Bottom line? If it works for you, stick with it!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Yeah, lashing won't weaken the rope as much. The knot most of us DIY hammockers use can weaken the rope by about 50%.

I've thought of switching to a sheet bend instead of the Larskhead. Maybe even a triple or quadruple sheet bend. Or even as much as a standard whipping. Or maybe use a standard whipping and then use the sheet bend on top of that.
    Last edited by funbun; 04-06-2007 at 09:26.

Thanks for the link. The photos make the Hennessy lashing much easier to understand.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There are also videos for tying the knot at the top of the page.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I do the same - whipping with a double sheet bend over that. It works well, never has slipped and is not too hard to take apart. There is a good website with animated knots where you can learn to tie a double sheet bend and a bowline; two knots I use a lot. It is set up with different sections for boating knots, climbing knots, etc. You want to make sure whatever knot you use won't slip. http://www.animatedknots.com/

-Nancy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I really like the bowline knot. Used it to modify my hammock suspension system.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nchill View Post
    I do the same - whipping with a double sheet bend over that. It works well, never has slipped and is not too hard to take apart. There is a good website with animated knots where you can learn to tie a double sheet bend and a bowline; two knots I use a lot. It is set up with different sections for boating knots, climbing knots, etc. You want to make sure whatever knot you use won't slip. http://www.animatedknots.com/

-Nancy
    Can you post a pic of your double sheet bend on your hammock. I don't quite follow what you do with your hammock material.

This is the knot that HH uses. But he has holes put throught the hammock gathering to do it.

Double Sheet Bend

I can't post a picture right now, but if you look at the animated knot site (or know how to do a double sheet bend), you fold the hammock material just behind the whipping and treat it as if it were the fatter line.

-Nancy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast