Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    USGI Sleep System
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Hey guys,

I'm on your site now, about to place my order. I was wondering what payment options you offer... Do you take paypal?
    Thank you!

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Yes, we take PayPal as payment. You will need to fill out the order form, and I will then (later tonight) send you an order summary and a PayPal invoice for payment.
    Thanks, Donna
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    USGI Sleep System
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Thanks for the fast response! Filling out my order form now.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    USGI Sleep System
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas
    Order complete! I can't wait to receive! Thank you!

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Oh, how I love USPS packages in the Mailbox, let me count the ways

Couple more angles...
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Oh, nice pic. I like the use of the vase? (I'm guessing)

Jiblets

Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Oh, how I love USPS packages in the Mailbox, let me count the ways

Couple more angles...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    Thanks to 2QZQ's tree shelf, my Bushbuddy no longer has to go to the the ground. In fact, 2Q's tree shelf has rekindled my fire for the Bushbuddy. [Oh, I'm so witty... sometimes I slay myself.]

Last weekend, while I was on canoe trip to Algonquin my mini-group order of tree shelves arrived (one day too late). The other recipients, Chard and Quiet (aka Mongrel) were also on the trip and I think I offhandedly mentioned to the group that after several years, I was no longer enamoured with my Bushbuddy. Too much crouching to peer under the pot and into the burn chamber to see if I need to add more fuel. I had brought it on the trip, but didn't even bother to fire it up.

When I got home and cracked open the box of tree shelves, I was pleasantly surprised to find a stuff sack for each the shelves. Apparently, I didn't read the fine print on the website "storage sack included" as my eyes went straight for the pictures.

After close to a week of admiring the tree shelf, I finally decided to put it through its paces. No, I'm not going to test it with an alcohol stove or the ever so popular Jetboil. This shelf was designed with them in mind. I'm going to throw caution to the wind and toss a Bushbuddy on it.

Since this was probably going to be the first Bushbuddy fire ever attempted with the 2QZQ tree shelf, I decided to take some precautions and strap a sacrificial 2x4 and a 2x6 to the deck post. If I light a 2x4 on fire, Hey no big deal, but if the deck goes up... well, that would be a story all the neighbours would hear about. (BTW I spell enamoured and neighbours funny 'cause I'm Canadian. Suck it spell check!)

It is 10pm when I start. It's dark and cool enough so there aren't any bugs out. The neighbours all have their windows closed and curtains drawn shut - perfect conditions for tree shelf testing. First I spark up the Bushbuddy. Both the 2x4 and the tree shelf are cool to the touch, the deck isn't on fire and the Bushbuddy didn't melt a hole in the shelf, so far, so good.

Next test, I put the small pot on, and boiled a cup of water for some tea. Still no hole and no fires where there aren't supposed to be - everything still cool to the touch. Hmm... I could use a snack, maybe I'll make some veggie chilli mac cheese.

Last year, I made the mistake of putting chick peas in the veggie chilli. It tastes great, but it takes d@mn near forever to rehydrate properly (ok I may be exaggerating, say more than 30 minutes - which is an eternity when you're hungry). The point is, it takes too long to cook, so I don't pack it on trips, but it'll make a good burn test of the shelf. Twenty some odd minutes of simmering later, the shelf is still intact and I can still touch the bottom of the shelf without burning myself. The 2x4 tree substitute is just getting warm - about the same temp as a picnic table in noon-day sun would.

So far, I'm liking the shelf. The height I set it at was the perfect angle to comfortably feed wood into the stove and still be able to see what's cooking. The stove and pot are very stable on the shelf and I'm also liking the extra space to set down my spoon, which brings to mind 2Q's s-biner trick.

At MAHHA, when 2Q had demo'd the shelf, he also had a little s-biner where he had removed one of the gates, resulting in 'biner with a hook. The gated side attached to one of the holes on the side of the shelf, and the hook was the perfect place to hang his cutlery. Well this spoon doesn't have a hole, so the clip can wait. Back to the task at hand, it's time to make the mac and cheese to go with the chilli.

Out comes the "big" 1 liter pot (about 1 quart for those of you allergic to the metric system). I boil up a healthy dose of water. In goes the macaroni and on goes the lid. Several minutes of rapid boiling quietly passes as I slowly feed the fire.

Suddenly, the pot lid levitates above the pot and out spills pasta foam down the sides of the pot. The Bushbuddy hisses and spits hot steam, sounding like molten lava spewing out into the cold ocean as the liquid foam vapourizes on contact with the hot stove. I lift off the pot lid and the pasta foam recedes. As an offering to the Gods, I stir the neon orange coloured powdered cheese into the pot, and Pele the Goddess of volcanoes is quieted. All is again good in the world.

Disaster averted, but what to do with my pot lid. There isn't that much real estate on the shelf, and the Bushbuddy is too hot to handle with my bare hands to make room. How will I feed the fire, stir the macaroni and manage to hold the pot lid too? Oh, I know, I can wedge the lid in one of the channels on the shelf. I betcha that'll work with the spoon too. Wow, I'm brilliant. Brilliant I say, just brilliant.

A little while later, the mac and cheese is mixed in with the veggie chilli. While heating some water to clean up the pots, I'm chomping on some perfectly al-dente macaroni, with some overly al-dente chick peas. The shelf is still intact, albeit covered in wet pasta starch and my deck isn't in flames. I think to myself, "What else can I put on the stove before the deck catches fire?", and I spy an offending weed on the lawn. I know, I'll use boiling water as a herbicide. Muahaha! MUAHAHA!!!

Several pots later, countless weeds lay devastated on the back lawn. What can I do now to test the shelf? I know, I'll celebrate my herbicidal victory with some freshly popped popcorn. My brilliance is just astouding. Astouding I say.

In the pot goes a pat of butter, a couple of pinches of powdered salt, and a layer of popcorn kernels. I add a couple of sticks to the Bushbuddy, and on goes the pot. Shaking the pot every 5 seconds, I'm soon rewarded by the chaotic sounds of popping corn. The scent of buttery goodness permeates the air as puffs of buttered steam force their way out of the lid with each popping kernel. The chaos increases and the popping begins to crescendo to the inevitable finale of a few sporadic pops of wayward kernels. My popcorn is ready.

So concludes my test of the 2QZQ tree shelf with the Bushbuddy.

The Bushbuddy was constantly fed well over 2 hours, considerably longer than I've ever used it for previously, and was half full of ash when the coals finally burned out. To the point of choking out the air intake. The added height makes it easier to feed the fire, and monitor it from a distance so it is no longer a chore to maintain the fire.

The majority of the shelf remained cool at all times, and was only warm directly under the Bushbuddy. I wasn't adventurous/foolhardy enough to touch the bottom of the Bushbuddy proper.

There wasn't any visible scorching on the 2x4 tree substitute and it only became comfortably warm to the touch. Very comparable to the warmth of full sunlight.

If you are concerned that the heat radiating from the stove could injure the tree, a wind screen would easily diffuse the heat. Of course, as with any wood burning stove, you'll have to monitor the stove for any popping coals. In particular as the stove is now elevated, the coals will be able to fly farther with the added height. Added bonus - pasta starch cleans off easily.

I'm looking forward to pairing the shelf/jetboil/alcohol stove combination with my hammock chair, but I probably won't use the chair with the bushbuddy. My fear of stray sparks so close to my DIY down underquilt is too great to overcome.

The aluminum tree shelf is an sub 7oz luxury that now has a permanent place in my backpack. That is until a carbon fiber or titanium version becomes available.

Good job Tim.

I hope you guys enjoy my verbose report,

Jiblets

oh yes... pics or it didn't happen.

IMG_5602.jpg
    Last edited by Jiblets; 06-08-2014 at 17:22.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Nice review Jiblets. I'm glad to know the table can handle a Bushbuddy. I'm not sure you will see the Ti version anytime soon. The expense would probably outweigh the service of it...but on the other hand for what we would have to charge for it would drive one crazy if they didn't use it!! Checking weights, the aluminum should be lighter anyway, just not as strong. Aluminum .09750 lb/ci, Titanium .16300 lb/ci
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That is a vivid description. And possibly the first time in the history of all that is good, decent and civilised that anyone has use the expression ´al dente´ about macaroni and cheese. Now, I am from Eurpoe (yes, **** those spelling programmes), but I had a Canadian gf once upon a time, and even I get that an Italian knowing anything about what mac and cheese is would disintegrate from that expression being used in this context...

The short of it is.. excellent report! I think I´m buying one too!

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock NX-250
    Tarp
    WB DigiCamSuperFly
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    ORDERED! 1 awesome tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast