DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Overnight in Linville Gorge - August 10 & 11

Jim de Friess, Michael Hollar (Hawk-Eye on HF) and myself made an over night trip into Linville Gorge Monday and Tuesday for a little trail work and camping. When planning this, we didn't know these would be two of the hottest days of the summer so far. We left the Babel Tower trailhead about 9am and headed down. The sun was already heating up the western side of the gorge and we
    were fully exposed at times. Since it was so warm, trail work was limited to clipping the worst of the summer growth back on Babel Tower. After intersecting the Linville Gorge trail we followed it to the river and made our way approximately one more mile south to a camp Jim had used once before. Actually it was a very old camp that had not been used in recent years. I didn't see much way anyone could have tent camped there on the rocky hillside between the LGT and the river. It worked well for hammocks though. We spread out up and down the hillside between the river and the trail, and dubbed it "Hobo Camp".

All photos by Mike Hollar (Hawk_Eye)
    My Hennessy with Speer tarp and light summer diy UQ.

Michael's site just above the river:

Jim's diy setup:

A little camp banner I made before the trip:

Turns out we were right across the river from an often talked about hole in the rock, scoured out by water action ages ago. There are two of these
    in the area, and others in the process of being created. This hole is between 4 and 5 feet in diameter.

Here's a photo of Fantasy Wall and West Face Rock taken from the LGT:

We had a great trip. I only wish it could have been longer, and maybe a bit cooler. Overnight temps were probably no lower than about 65 degrees by early morning.

Molly Mac Pack
    I was again carrying one of MacEntyre's prototype MMPs. Even though I'm not an experienced backpacker, this worked very well for me, and was my first time using it for other than daytrips doing trail work. The load for this trip was just under 30 lbs. and I had no difficulties with the pack.

Mac, thanks again for the use of the pack. I sure hope you're able to keep up with the orders!!

The trip out on Tuesday was a long slow grind in the heat. We did some work along the way, but took our time, and several breaks due to the heat.
    On the ridge at the intersection of the LGT and Babel Tower Trails there was a nice cooling breeze from the north. Needless to say, we took a nice break there before the climb to the road up Babel Tower.

Michael at the junction:

Jim moving along the LGT:

Good trip with good friends in awesome wilderness. Can't beat it.

Kudos to:
    MacEntyre for the use of his Molly Mac Pack.
    Michael and Jim for the good company.
    Marion Wright and John D. Rockefeller for seeing that this wilderness was preserved.
    www.hammockforums.net for a wealth of knowledge.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 08-12-2009 at 15:12.
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific to eyeball my beloved Linville Gorge this morning! Twice actually .... my buddy and his son and his brother were in the Gorge camping across from Table Rock. He sent me pix this morn.
    I gotta go find that "hole in the rock".
    Thanks for the report Ken. Glad you all had fun and thanks for the trail work.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Hey Shug you're always welcome to join the Gorge Rats for a trip into our beloved "Big Ditch".
    Hey I'll even bring some Livermush!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Man alive!! Seeing Linville Gorge pics takes me back. The last time I was there was in 1973!! (Yes, I'm THAT old!!) In those days, it was one of only two wilderness areas in the eastern US. It's a neat, unique place, but hiking out from the bottom is always a challenge!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good trip report Ken, Michale, & Jim! Glad you guys had a chance to get out, despite the heat.
    And always good to see pictures of the gorge.
    I'd like to visit that rock myself! It probably wouldn't take that long to day hike to it from the large campsite that Ken, MacEntire, & myself used not long ago. That is, if all works out for the fall gorge trip (including our out of town guest, Shug) & if that's were the group wants to camp.

Great banner to Ken!!! Who made that?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Good trip report Ken, Michale, & Jim! Glad you guys had a chance to get out, despite the heat.
    I'd like to visit that rock myself! It probably wouldn't take that long to day hike to it from the large campsite that Ken, MacEntire, & myself used not long ago. That is, if all works out for the fall gorge trip (including our out of town guest, Shug) & if that's were the group wants to camp.

Thanks Tim. We had a great time in spite of the heat.

The holes in the rocks are about 2.5 miles north of the Conley camp we used, and that's as the crow flies. It would make for a good day hike. Typical rough Linville trail all the way.

I made the banner as a last minute project. It's just a piece of Neet Sheet with one of Michael's "Gorge Rat" patches and one of the hammockforums stickers.

I hope to get to see you in October!

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Hey Shug you're always welcome to join the Gorge Rats for a trip into our beloved "Big Ditch".
    Hey I'll even bring some Livermush!
    Gorging on Mush in the Gorge ...... oh man!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    If it happens that I get to Gorge it .... it will be right after SC ST. Fair . Oct. 26 Monday through Friday the 30th is all the time I have to go so in the work week for me. Have to be driving home for a show by Sunday or Saturday. Just want to be there. My high school camping buddy wants to go. I made him a hammock and tarp and he has never used it. But he will!!!!!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That's why I was confused when you reported the dates you will have free... it doesn't include a weekend! Gorge rats!

I might be talked into taking a couple of days off in the middle of the week. Anyone else?

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I might be talked into taking a couple of days off in the middle of the week. Anyone else?
    With enough notice, definitely. I haven't been to Linville Gorge since I was a kid and would love to head back some time. Especially once the weather cools down a little.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    IF anyone's interested ... there are some more photos from our trip to Camp Hobo in this Flickr Set
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralloh/...7621891675033/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast