diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    MacCat(SWT)BLK
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt,
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings

strap works webbing compare

I recently bought strap works simple sling seatbelt webbing, and noticed its much heavier than the webbing that the WBBB comes with. I called strap works and asked if the reg polyester simple sling is lighter weight than the seatbelt simple sling. If I heard the woman right she said the reg polyester was a little lighter.
    So what is the advantage of using the seatbelt style if its heavier ?

I saw Grizz vid on line suspension, with the marlin spike and am inspired to try it out. It's really easy so far testing it out at home on my stand.

Im not ready to cut my webbing shorter, so I'll just order a shorter set , so I can interchange between ring buckle/straps when Im lazy, and when weight is an issue change to line/strap.

I noticed the seatbelt webbing has a nice smooth feel to it, which might be better if I'm running amsteel through the webbing loop( 2 loops per strap ), and then just doing a single marlin spike.
    The WBBB webbing has a thinner more grippy feel to it, which I wonder over time if it will wear on the rope or the webbing.

If anyone wants to fill me in on anything I'm missing. It would be much appreciated.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Japandy View Post
    I recently bought strap works simple sling seatbelt webbing, and noticed its much heavier than the webbing that the WBBB comes with. I called strap works and asked if the reg polyester simple sling is lighter weight than the seatbelt simple sling. If I heard the woman right she said the reg polyester was a little lighter.
    Bad info. The regular polyester is definitely not lighter than the seatbelt polyester.

Quote Originally Posted by Japandy View Post
    its much heavier than the webbing that the WBBB comes with.
    Brandon hasn't posted his webbing source. OWFINC does sell webbing that is lighter than the StrapWorks seatbelt material, but they don't do any loop sewing for you. That may or may not matter to you.

The line/knot methods are definitely lighter than the webbing suspensions.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't want to rattle any cages here, but my webbing is from OWF (woodland camo). I've used up a roll+ over the past year and have spent some serious time hanging from it, it's all I currently use. But, each hammock has it's own suspension so I'm not putting a ton of nights on any one of the set-ups.

I'm starting to see some pretty serious wear in it. Somebody is going to send me some new webbing they found to try, but at this point, I'm probably going back to the Strapworks stuff. I have one set of Strapworks webbing that has a big gash in it from a broken ring, but the set I used on the AT still look like new after 6 months of daily use. The same can't be said for the OWF straps. However, the OWF stuff is substantially lighter.

Just food for thought.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    diy hammock, wb-net
    Tarp
    MacCat(SWT)BLK
    Insulation
    wb-underquilt,
    Suspension
    diy woopie slings
    Hey thanks so much, I was just about to order the reg polyester, in hopes of saving an ounce or two.
    Wish I had a sewing machine, maybe for X-mas.
    For now I'll be using strapworks. I'll keep the OWFINC in mind. Great info.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I only use webbing for huggers when needed, but in my experience, you have to be very careful communicating with strapworks about the seat belt webbing. They have both 1" and 1.5" seat belt webbing and the people at strapworks get the 1" wide seat belt webbing confused with the regular 1" wide polyester webbing. I know one person who ordered the 1" seat belt webbing and got the 1" regular polyester webbing instead. So be careful.

I have all 3 and the 1" regular polyester and 1" polyester seat belt webbing are definitely not the same.

The seat belt webbing is much more flexible and lighter than the regular polyester webbing. The regular polyester webbing is extremely stiff in comparison. Go out and handle the seat belts in your car. The webbing is very smooth and very flexible. That is what the strapworks seatbelt webbing is like, both the 1" and the 1.5".

In comparison the regular polyester webbing is much thicker and has ridges across the width of the webbing.

The regular polyester webbing is also much heavier than the seat belt webbing, about 54% heavier. 0.40 oz/ft for the regular and 0.26 oz/ft for the seat belt webbing.

The 1" and 1.5" seat belt webbing that I got from strapworks are almost the same weight per foot.

Another consideration: packing bulk. The seat belt webbing being much more flexible and thinner folds down to a much smaller bundle than the regular webbing.

When I use webbing tree huggers anymore, it is almost exclusively the strapworks 1.5" seat belt webbing.

Their seat belt webbing wears like iron. I don't have them sew the loops since I sew special loops that I don't know if they would sew or not.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

• + New Posts