Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images

Exclamation Noob Fat-Hanger!!!

Hello Guys, i've been debating about whether or not to purchase a hammock or a new tent. I've made up my mind after a recent experience of sleeping on a platform with my tent (it sucked). anyway, a little bit about myself. i'm about 300 pounds. i'm 5'10. i love sleeping on my stomach and my side. my budget is about 150 to 250 i believe you get what you pay for so nothing too cheap...

anyway the questions are the following:
    1. what is the best hammock to sleep on my side or stomach?
    2. what is the best hammock for someone like me that i heavy, i really really want mosquitoe netting.
    3. what would be my best option, purchasing a kit hammock, tarp and webbing in a package or piecing it together from different places???

i hope you guys can help i know that there are a lot of knowledgable people on this site and so thats why i came here. thanks again in advance.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Stomach sleeper makes me immediately think "Bridge", but with your stated dimensions I can't see that being an option. Bridge users feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That leaves side sleeping. For side sleeping with a bug-net that will support your weight, I've gotta go with a Warbonnet Blackbird in a double 1.7 model. There are people here that outweigh you by a good clip and are using the Blackbirds comfortably. Hopefully, they will chime in.

Whatever your decision, good choice on selecting a hammock over a tent and...
    Welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    To buy the full kit for the budgeted price I think the Safari would be a good choice. Hennessy markets the safari for the big sleeper. I was able to sleep on my side when I had mine. The HH Safari is shipped with the hex tarp as standard. The weight rating is easily within range.

My problem with the Safari is that it does not a super shelter size to fit it properly so it would be a warm weather system. If you wanted to go into the colder months you would need to outfit the safari with underquits or pads instead of the super shelter.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    i've looked at a couple of the blackbirds and after reading some reviews and determining that the blackbird is nice and flat and also wide (i have huge shoulders). the only thing is, i cant tell if this thing comes with a tarp or not? or should i get the lines or webbing straps. i just dont know i'm super confused about this. i just dont want my back to hurt anymore.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tarp is extra if I understand correctly. Lines are lighter, webbing you don't need knots.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Tarp being extra makes the Blackbird more expensive, but consider that you get to choose your tarp based on expected climate/weather and possibly get more/less coverage to suit you. No one who's gone with a large tarp regrets it, that I've noticed. The flexibility of having two extra tie outs on each end to make doors if you want them makes a lot of difference when you run into the unexpected wind or rain storm.

If not for Mac Cat I would have likely gotten the Warbonnet Mammajamma, side tie outs and all.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    i've looked at a couple of the blackbirds and after reading some reviews and determining that the blackbird is nice and flat and also wide (i have huge shoulders). the only thing is, i cant tell if this thing comes with a tarp or not? or should i get the lines or webbing straps. i just dont know i'm super confused about this. i just dont want my back to hurt anymore.
    I am a big guy as well (for now) and have slept on my side in a BB without the crippling effect one has in a tent. At 300, I know of one guy here that had Brandon put an additional layer just to be on the safe side. Email him to see what he thinks.
    NA
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NorseAmerican View Post
    I am a big guy as well (for now) and have slept on my side in a BB without the crippling effect one has in a tent. At 300, I know of one guy here that had Brandon put an additional layer just to be on the safe side. Email him to see what he thinks.
    NA
    do you know who it might be so i can get some more information from him regarding this? also i'm not really sure but does anyone in my area know of any 'hangouts' where i might be able to try one of these hammocks out before i actually get one. i dont want to be stuck with a product im not comfortable with and then find out that i've got too much or too little hammock for my taste... thanks for all the input.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    do you know who it might be so i can get some more information from him regarding this? also i'm not really sure but does anyone in my area know of any 'hangouts' where i might be able to try one of these hammocks out before i actually get one. i dont want to be stuck with a product im not comfortable with and then find out that i've got too much or too little hammock for my taste... thanks for all the input.
    Hogg Tyed is the one that confessed to it. Here's the link to the thread, his post is the 13th.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    The Blackbird of Happiness
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS, Heat sheet
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    I'm right on the upper weight limit for the HH Explorer but have found it really comfortable (the best sleeps I've had in years!). I considered the BEEP best suited because being a big girl, I'm not as supple and flexible as I used to be, so I thought getting into a side entry hammock would be more tricky and need better balance and strength. I haven't been diappointed with the HH, but for extra room and safety would probably recommend the Safari. I normally side sleep, but found I could happily sleep on either my back or side.

Despite the myriad recommendations you'll receive here, there's no substitute for actually laying in the hammock to see if it suits. Remember, you may need to give it a few nights to get used to it, just like any new bed. Good luck finding a hammock!
    Kerri

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast