Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hammeck

New to hammock camping / gear check?

Hello all,

I have been doing a bit of research for the last week on hammock camping and I am very interested. I am putting together kit to start out with.

For now I am going to go with the Hammock Bliss, Bed Bug Free.
    http://www.hammockbliss.com/sky-bed-bug-free

I Really like the integrated bug net, and the reason Im going with hammock bliss, is I believe I will like their flat lay design. I wish it had a gear bag for the cord that supports the net, but I believe that is something I can add easily later, plus there is a side pouch.

I think for me to get a true understanding of how comfortable this hammock can be, it would be a good idea for me to get a pad with it, plus I kind of need one for general tent camping anyway so ALPS self inflating pad, seems like it will fit if I get the regular size. I am 6'2" but I will most likely grab a pillow of some sort.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The other thing I think I should probably get just to keep the trees healthy is the Hammock Bliss straps. I believe these are the better priced straps from what I have seen. But I would love to hear about any other suggestions.
    http://www.hammockbliss.com/standard-and-xl-tree-straps

These products pretty much hit my budget at the moment. I wanted to bring my hammock and a tent trip, more or less to try during the day, and If like it, ill sleep the night if the weather is good enough.

I have a tarp from camping, and some rope for that. Once I commit to hammock camping, Ill invest in more lightweight materials for protection from the elements.
    I mostly camp in the Adirondacks and the Poconos. Please let me know If I am going about this all wrong, or If you might suggest I switch up certain priorities.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like you're off to a good start on your equipment. What size is the tarp you'll be using?
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome!

When using a pad with a hammock, it's not uncommon for people to experience cold shoulders and any other parts of the body that are in contact with the hammock but not on the pad. Depending on the conditions around you, you may feel the cold spots due the convective heat loss that happens with hammocks. People that use pads sometimes make segmented pad extenders (SPE's) that are basically a sleeve for the pad that has "wings" where they place some cut up CCF padding into to protect their shoulders. IIRC the Hammock Bliss has a built in sleeve so if you have cold shoulders you may have to come up with something else.

Hammock camping can take some getting used to so don't judge it on your first few attempts. Looks like your are on your way though so enjoy!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hammeck
    Thanks!

Well the pad is the one thing I think I did the least research on. For now I am going to ease into the hammock use. I plan on using it during the day to see how comfortable it is. Because I don't have underquilt and whatnot. Weather has been swinging from 30-60's here lately so I don't plan on sleeping in the hammock unless its really nice weather.

Im not positive since it was a gift but the Sleeping bag I have is a Coleman, which I don't believe will hold up on its own.
    http://www.coleman.com/product/green...0#.U2PEZfldWSo

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    welcome from jersey

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Welcome!

I started out with the exact same pad and found is slipped around a lot in my ENO DN. I woke up in the middle of the night with it bunched around my legs. Of course, YMMV. It depends on how restless a sleeper you are. I am now making a PLUQ, but haven't tried it out yet.

Oh, and I'm relatively new here as well, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Hammock
    Hammeck
    Thanks again for the tips,

I just finished reading the "The ultimate hang" so I have a lot of Dereks tips fresh in my head. There is a good chance I will make my own underquilt. I might even just enclose my sleeping bag around my hammock if possible. 2ply I realized I didnt answer you. The tarp is an old one from the basement I believe its a 8x8? or something to that affect something along those lines... I mostly have used it as a ground tarp to put my tent on. I figure I will upgrade it piece by piece. Also my wife has a canopy I may be able to use initially until I get all the gear.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Welcome from a fellow NYer! You are spot on the money with your logic and choices. I also spend time in the Adirondacks and much of CNY and WNY. Here is a quick video I offer to help. There are a few more on my channel (these are my first 6 videos) that may help as well.

Hammock, tarp, underquilt, in order, are my recommendation.

Enjoy the madness, maybe we can get a hang in, there is a good group of us local!

Rob

http://youtu.be/L-w4pjjXUnE
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Hammeck
    Rob, thank you very much for the video.

I am highly interested in Hammeck now, and I'm glad I didn't do an impulse buy. I believe because their set up comes with suspension it may cost me less, support someone in this forum and support a new business a bit closer to home. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. The tree straps look a bit basic(but I like that you can change color., but as long as it holds that is all I care about. The whoopie slings seem to be a nice tough to me. Since I am a total noob, I have never used these before but, that seem to be in everyone's favor.

A big reason why I am also more interested in the Hammeck over Hammock bliss bug free, is the built in ridgeline. It this set up reminds me of the Warrior X by UKhammocks. But apparently UKHammocks is not doing orders til June. While writing this post, I just found your video review on this hammock : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ZgNEVkGpI
    Pretty much sealed the deal for me, Im going to PM Meckelango now about custom gear pouch to be able to slide on the ridgeline.

Thanks again Rob!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Firstly, thank you once again for the shout-out Rob! I do believe you're leading the race for best former-customer-turned-spokesperson, and we really appreciate it!

PeppinDeVerze, thank you for reaching out to us. I wanted the HF world to know that your messages and contact did not go unanswered, but we've been communicating via email. If anybody is interested in speaking with us, you can reach me here on HF, or via email at [email protected], and our website is linked in my signature.

Thanks again, guys!
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast