DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning

DIY Whoopie Sling question

So last weekend I was busy with making whoopie slings. I followed a pattern that I had printed off from DIY Gear Supply. It said to use 30' of AmSteel per pair. Thus 15' for each whoopie sling. I made 8 whoopie slings and 16 continuous loops and loved every minute of it!!!!! I really enjoyed it.

Now that I have them made up and we did a quick test hang with them they seem like they may be a little too long. I have also made tree straps with a loop on each end and they are 6' long finished. The 8" continuous loops have been fed through the sewn channel on each end of the tablecloth hammock.

The temporary hang we did last weekend with the whoopie slings and the DIY tree straps was between two poles on the front porch of hubby's shop. The poles were only about 10 1/2' apart. I know you want trees to be 12'-15' apart ideally, but can they be closer together or is that not enough??? We managed to use just one of the poles on the porch and over to a walnut tree that was closer to the 15' spread and that worked great. We pulled one loop of the tree strap through the other loop and tied a Marlin Spike Hitch (I think that is what you call it) and used an aluminum toggle.

I am just wondering if I should make some shorter whoopie slings and/or shorter tree straps just to be able to have lots of options.

I need to finish up the other tree straps and then I am moving on to some stuff sacks!!!! And then there will be tarps and bug nets, then possibly some under quilts. Oh, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

I truly appreciate all of the info offered on this site as well as all of the DIY projects and patterns. THANKS to all that offer their wisdom and experience.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You can make tree straps and whoopie slings any length that suits your purposes, but the minimum length of the whoopie slings will remain the same.

If you want to shorten the minimum length of the suspensions, one way is to not use the continuous loops. Just feed the fixed eye of the whoopie slings through the sewn channel and larks head it in place. To lose a few more inches you can pass the adjustable loop through the fixed eye twice when forming the larks head.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I like using a 6' whoopie sling. With 8' tree straps it gives me plenty of adjustment when setting up the hammock.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    If you want to shorten the minimum length of the suspensions, one way is to not use the continuous loops. Just feed the fixed eye of the whoopie slings through the sewn channel and larks head it in place. To lose a few more inches you can pass the adjustable loop through the fixed eye twice when forming the larks head.
    I second this, with my setup I just use woopie slings attached directly to the hammock itself, I find there is no need for continuous loops in between the two.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You have lots of length in your suspension. Just use what you have right now until you get a good idea of what you actually need out in the woods. You can always shorten the webbings and whoopies you currently have.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I use 4' whoopies and 12' straps....why? Because I like it! HYOH-Hang your own hang, use what you're comfy with.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    THANKS everyone. I guess I would prefer to have more then needed then not enough. It just seems like there was a lot of AmSteel laying around. We will just have to wrap it up.

I did the continuous loops because we started with zip ties and a couple of them came undone. No idea how that happened and it wasn't when they were under load. I thought I read where people were using a continuous loop instead of direct feeding the whoopie sling. Oh well, they are made and done. If they need them for something else, they can use the whoopie sling direct and will have the continuous loops for another purpose. Be Prepared!!!

Again, thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by QuiltinMom; 05-04-2014 at 11:05.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Yep...just bundle the excess...

IMG_0235 (Medium).jpg

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    I made my first set of whoopies 8' and found them just a tad too long. The next set was six foot... and I've stuck with that for each addition set there after. It seems to be a comfortable length, and most vendors sell their cordage in 25' lengths so it works for everyone.

In my humble, and relatively short tenure hanging from trees and whatnot... I have found 6' whoopies and 8' tree straps pretty much take care of all my suspension needs.

• + New Posts