Hammock
    hammock virgin to date

Latent hanger from KC. Hallo!! :)

Hi guys!

So, I’ve never even been in a tent hammock before, but it is something that has obsessed me as of late. Causing me to spend far too many hours on my laptop, here reading forums, and watching youtube videos, so forth. It's crazy, unfettered hammockery madness! By obsessing about hammocks, and waking my boyfriend up at odd hours late at night to pass along useful information I have gleaned from my glowing screen, I think I’ve convinced him (and myself) that this is something we need to try since we both love to camp so much (one of our first dates was a camping trip!) — but in recent years we've both been waking up all sore and stiff in the morning. (too young for that, right? boo gravity!)

This forum has been delightfully helpful in trying to make informed decisions about what kind of hammock(s) to buy. And I love all the brlliant and fun DIY suggestions and tips and stuff. omg, like the scrunchie snake skins!! I LOVE that! It seems that much anything you’d ever need (or want) to know about hammockery is probably archived here! (although I have yet to come across the thread on how to have sex in a hammock without fits of giggles, lol ~ or maybe that’s *another* website)

Anyhoo, before I digress any further, I just wanted to thank the site owners and operators for putting this out there for everyone. I’m hoping to figure out what gear will be best for us. The problem is that I’m smaller than he is, so it’s likely we might need both need to get different set-ups. Sometimes we go car camping with friends but prefer a place that has walk-in campsites where we can put a little distance in between us and all the little kids who like to get up at the crack of dawn. We’d also like to maybe try some longer distance hiking/camping trips, but don’t have a lot in the way of ultra-light gear. I’m open to suggestions if ya’ll have any. We’d really like to be under $300 each for this, but also wondering if maybe we go even more “budget” at first just to try it out and see if we like it and then trade up… SO many decisions and so many options!

Have a fantastic day! Spring camping weather seems to be on her way!

~k
    keep your sunny side up!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Tablecloth factory DIY hammock, Knotty bug nets made from Walmart window shears. Strap suspension you can buy online from any vendors (Dutch, Arrowhead, Jacks r Us) Make your own stuff sacks. Not Ultra light but comfortable and cheap. Tarp is the most work you'll need to go and that can be cheap or way expensive. But without the tarp your looking at 9-15 bucks per hammock blank, 10 bucks for per bugnet and another 10-15 for strap material per.

I sleep in a Tablecloth factory hammock every night, have so for over three years now. More comfortable then my Select Comfort bed. Get Dejehoa's The Ultimate Hang book and find the links for Tablecloth factory in my signature. From somewhere near Parkville, MO (by the Argosy) Welcome to the forum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GT SBpro
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix,Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. I was in the same boat as you last year. Read the forums. Bought a hammock, tarp, bought another hammock, and a couple more.
    Somewhere on here is a rumored thread for a 12 step program on hammock addiction. I haven't looked for it. But if there was one I don't think anyone here would read it.
    We all like our addiction and have accepted it.

Hammock
    hammock virgin to date
    Thanks for your insights, guys. Mr. Clean, I've downloaded that book to my kindle and am feverishly reading it now. Also liked the idea of a tablecloth hammock (especially because I could make a pink one!) and really like the idea of the and starting out a little more economically on the DIY side. Now, i wish i would have let my mom teach me how to sew! lol, I don't even have a sewing machine, but maybe this is a sign i should get one....
    keep your sunny side up!

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    ===> Welcome to the trees, and the insanity! Read, read, read, but get/make a hammock and tarp, and GET OUT THERE! As far as doing the "Horizontal Mambo" in a hammock - it takes practice. Just bring a nice blanket to begin with, and hop back in the hammocks after!

Glad to see your enthusiasm, and hope to meet you guys on the trail someday!

~ SkyPainter
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    It's an oddly addictive interest, but with an ambassador like Shug how could it not be compelling? I was in the same boat two months ago, but I agree, with three caveats:
    1. Hang inside first and figure it out. How there can be a comfort learning curve I don't know, but there is. Camping at first could suck.
    2. Other than weight concerns, I think tarp is least important. You could use Visqueen, tyvek, or your tent fly.
    3. If you are not satisfied with a pad - spend all your money on a (used) underquilt. There isn't a ton of functional difference between a blackbird or dream hammock and a tablecloth. But nothing is the same as an underquilt.
    Welcome!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome Kirsten! It sounds like you are going to fit in perfectly around here. I hope to meet you & your BF at a group hang someday. Speaking of which, try to attend one, even if you still ate in a tent. You'll get hands on knowledge of what you're only reading about now. Plus you'll get to meet the great people on this forum. MrClean makes some good points in his post above.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts