Eno/ table cloth
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    0*Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Tarp ridge line

Should I run a ridge line from one end two the other or just tie it to the end at the grommets. I had one on the bottom side of my tarp but when it rains it leaks some where the ridge line touches the tarp. It's not bad, but bad enough.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    It really is a personal preference. I use a continuous ridge line, and attach the tarp with prussiks and a couple of mini biners. A lot of folks here on the forum just tie off the ends. I think it is just whatever you are comfortable with. My preference for the CRL is that I can adjust the position of the tarp without retying to the trees. I only use my setup maybe 10 weekends a year, so I don't have everything memorized to get it perfect every time. The CRL gives me some fiddle factor. But as they say, HYOH.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I prefer a continuous ridge line...as stated, both are good, personal preference.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

I'm converting to a CRL this spring for the same reasons mentioned above. As for the leaking, I've read that some folks prefer their line to go above the tarp just so the water doesn't get wicked down and underneath the tarp. I haven't had that problem but it makes sense.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Both ways work fine although I am partial to the over the top CRL. I just find it a bit quicker and less hassle centering the tarp over the hammock. I'm not enough of a gram weenie to care that I am using extra line or a couple extra pieces of hardware with the CRL rig than the separate lines off each end.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    CRL with the tarp suspended/attached to prussiks under it. Easy to adjust and easy to convert to over the top of the ridge line if I want to.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth gathered end. 126x60
    Tarp
    DIY Assym SilNylon
    Insulation
    Down & synth
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopies
    Yeah, I run a CRL for the tarp with prusick knotted boot laces tied to the tarp. Over or under the line is personal IMHO.
    Transportation for Hiram Farm

Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Both ways work fine although I am partial to the over the top CRL. I just find it a bit quicker and less hassle centering the tarp over the hammock. I'm not enough of a gram weenie to care that I am using extra line or a couple extra pieces of hardware with the CRL rig than the separate lines off each end.
    +1 to this and what others have said. Most prefer a CRL for the ease of centering the tarp more quickly. If you go this way, though, putting the line above the tarp is often best. It avoids leaks and keeps tarps with cat cuts (slight curve) more taut when they hang below the line. Tying off at ends is certainly okay, too, and is typically done by folks that want more tension in their tarp (it's easier to really tighten it up when the lines are at the ends.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I used a CRL with prussiks and mini-biners for a long time, but recently became a convert to using 2 lines and Dutchware that makes things a lot simpler. I use (2) 14' lengths of yellow Dyneema. One end of each line has a Dutch hook attached with a locked brommel. Both ends of my tarp have Tarp Flyz. I keep the lines tidy in a figure 8, so I can store them in the tarp's stuff sack and pull out line from the hook end with no tangles.

Setup goes like this: Peel off enough line to go around the tree, and attach it to the tree by clipping the hook back onto the line. Peel out the remainder of the line to where the hammock is. Fix the line onto one end of the tarp via the Dutch Flyz, a few inches past the hammock end. Then attach the other line to a tree and attach it to the tarp in the same way, pulling it tight. If the tarp needs to be adjusted, I just go to one end of the tarp, add some slack from the Tarp Flyz, and then draw tight on the other end. (Nearly as fast as prussiks.)

A few reasons I prefer this to a CRL are; there are no prussiks or mini-biners or anything else fixed along the line, so the lines are easier to keep organized and faster to deploy by figure 8-ing them, instead of tediously wrapping a longer line with dangling "stuff" around the outside the tarp's stuff sack. Eliminating prussiks and biners also means there is nothing to get lost. This method holds tighter than prussiks, and finally, 2 short lines are easier to keep untangled than one long one.

Obviously, there are other methods besides prussiks to lock your tarp on a CRL, but it still involves a longer line, often with loops and/or other stuff fixed along the line. That's my take, anyway. Experiment and see what you like.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruxxx View Post
    A few reasons I prefer this to a CRL are; there are no prussiks or mini-biners or anything else fixed along the line, so the lines are easier to keep organized and faster to deploy by figure 8-ing them, instead of tediously wrapping a longer line with dangling "stuff" around the outside the tarp's stuff sack. Eliminating prussiks and biners also means there is nothing to get lost. This method holds tighter than prussiks, and finally, 2 short lines are easier to keep untangled than one long one.
    I handle the CRL by keeping it attached to the tarp when I stuff the whole thing into the skins. I then use a couple of Velcro ties to bundle up the excess line, and strap them to the ends of the snake skins.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast