Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What tarp to get for very windy areas?

I try to sleep outside in my HH expedition every chance I get but where I live I get constant wind and the tarp that came with the HH literally just tore from the wind. The cord guideline on the side of the tarp just ripped out from the tarp (it was a particularly windy day). So now I'm thinking I should look into a better tarp to combat the wind. I'd like something bigger than the standard tarp that comes with the hammock and something that I can really tie down that won't flap around like crazy from the wind.

Now that I'm thinking about it maybe it's not the tarp maybe it's the direction I lay out my hammock (the wind always hits me broadside against my hammock) or maybe I need to tie the tarp at a different angle?

All I know is I need another tarp that can handle these windy days. It would help if it's not too heavy and under $100. I've never really shopped for tarps specifically for my hammock before.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by aceatc; 05-02-2014 at 21:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Tarps have high wind profiles. You might want to consider getting a hammock sock. Only a bivy bag will have less wind profile than a hammock sock.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    aceatc - I've read some different opinions on tarps & weather protection.
    If I still lived in the PNW, I'd go with something like the WB Superfly. It is over your $100 price range, but worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

A tarp this size offers doors to help keep the weather off you.
    It also has tie-outs on the sides, which you can use to keep the tarp off you when it is particularly windy.
    I also like the room under it when it's raining - I'm not cramped.

With that said, others find smaller tarps work for them. Some say there is less tarp for the wind to catch.

In either case, site selection plays a big role. You may need to drop down from the viewpoints on a ridge and settle for the protection of a mass of trees in the valley.
    Good luck!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Or consider something like a griz beak.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/tarpaccessories.html

A larger than the stock diamond will shelter you better but you need to minimize the wind profile and maybe beef up the tarp support with the equivalent of a wire frame out of cordage to help spread the load.

If you need an explanation of the wire frame idea start with a ridge line to drape the tarp over. Run a line from one side over the ridge to the other side and you now have a support beam in the middle. Play with that idea and consider over and under rope depending on what you expect. The idea is to make the unsupported panel area smaller.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    aceatc - I've read some different opinions on tarps & weather protection.
    If I still lived in the PNW, I'd go with something like the WB Superfly. It is over your $100 price range, but worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

A tarp this size offers doors to help keep the weather off you.
    It also has tie-outs on the sides, which you can use to keep the tarp off you when it is particularly windy.
    I also like the room under it when it's raining - I'm not cramped.

With that said, others find smaller tarps work for them. Some say there is less tarp for the wind to catch.

In either case, site selection plays a big role. You may need to drop down from the viewpoints on a ridge and settle for the protection of a mass of trees in the valley.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the suggestion Paul. That is a nice looking tarp. Yes, definitely pricey. I have a feeling a tarp that surrounds you on all sides like that one would just flap around in the wind like crazy and keep me up all night lol.

The tarp would mostly be for home use where is it fairly windy. In the mountains I rarely have trouble with wind I just camp in a valley, just like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Or consider something like a griz beak.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/tarpaccessories.html

A larger than the stock diamond will shelter you better but you need to minimize the wind profile and maybe beef up the tarp support with the equivalent of a wire frame out of cordage to help spread the load.

If you need an explanation of the wire frame idea start with a ridge line to drape the tarp over. Run a line from one side over the ridge to the other side and you now have a support beam in the middle. Play with that idea and consider over and under rope depending on what you expect. The idea is to make the unsupported panel area smaller.

Thanks for the advice nothermark. I actually need a entirely new tarp since the stock tarp for my HH tore on one side. I'd rather not have to buy a new tarp AND a griz beak.

Usually when it comes to tarp I don't use a ridgeline. I just attach a rope on each end of the tarp and tie that around the tree. Maybe I should look into the ridgeline method.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not sure a different tarp is the solution if there is constant wind.

Maybe a nice garden trellis to act as a wind block?

Quote Originally Posted by sliver View Post
    Tarps have high wind profiles. You might want to consider getting a hammock sock. Only a bivy bag will have less wind profile than a hammock sock.
    This is the first I've heard of a hammock sock. The wind is so fast around my house that it literally rocks me in the hammock so I don't think a hammock sock would work. I can't sleep if the wind is moving me around all the time. Furthermore, how does a hammock sock protect against rain? It's windy and fairly rainy over here in western Washington.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Or a turtle dog stand for the lee side of the house?
    Hopefully somebody will jump on here with better advice than I'm giving.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My suggestions:
    1. See if you can get your hands on a Kelty Noah 12; it's many tie out points and features would make it perfect for the high wind and a range of weather. Use as many of the tie-outs as you can so that there isn't much loos fabric for the wind to catch on in the first place. The only downside to it is the weight, but it is for your backyard so who cares?
    2. Create a wind-break with ferns or other structural additions to lessen the wind on you
    3. set the hammock up closer to the building (a natural wind break) to take some of the brunt off.
    4. If you get a big tarp, pitch it with shallow angles. the steeper the wall, the more there is for the wind to 'catch' on so to speak. Think semi-truck vs sports car. You want your tarp to be sleek like a sports car, not a giant brick like a semi.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast