Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisypetal View Post
    Wondering what you find are comfortable as far as socks and hiking boots go. I asked for a pair of Keen hikers for Christmas after trying them on. Hoping for a size bigger thinking wool socks might be a good idea. Advice welcome!
    I like Keens. I do usually get them a half size larger, they seem to fit better that way. I also like LL Beans trail model hikers, although mine are an older model. I also tend to wear Cabela's brand too. They are well made and comparable in price. I usually go and actually try hikers on, since it seems every manufacturer sizes them a bit different. Some shoes have a very curved last, and those are the ones that I get a larger size in. I use socks from cabala's too; usually mid-weight, but sometimes really light socks that I use in shoes that are more like trail runners.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Lesson Learned

When hanging out in cold weather, do not wear insulated coveralls unless you are sure you won't have to pee in the night!!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    CF3 Winter Palace
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the responses on footwear. I am now the wearer of a pair of comfy Keen hiking shoes. Next purchase will be socks then a good knife.

My ripstop fabric arrived and one of my boys will have a hammock made by me too. What a great relaxing adventure this has become.
    Daisypetal

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Images
    I'm a big fan of the CostCo Kirkland trail socks. They're about $12 for 4 pair, and have a pretty good % of wool. Plus they're comfy and warm.

ETA: Also a big fan of Keens. They're my brand for hikers, work shoes, and sandals.

Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCase View Post
    I'm not from Virginia, but I will be hiking on the AT in southwest Virginia for a few weeks next summer.
    That's my plan, too. Damascus to Carver's Gap or Erwin. Look for my very purple underquilt : )

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sueb2b View Post
    I'm a big fan of the CostCo Kirkland trail socks. They're about $12 for 4 pair, and have a pretty good % of wool. Plus they're comfy and warm.

ETA: Also a big fan of Keens. They're my brand for hikers, work shoes, and sandals.
    I totally agree about the costco socks. Can never have too many of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    When hanging out in cold weather, do not wear insulated coveralls unless you are sure you won't have to pee in the night!!
    Omg. Hahaha. My niece (age 7) wants to go backpacking with me. She is not yet catching on to the cathole idea. Explaining this has brought me joy to no end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Hi all, jumping into this thread almost 300 posts in (pretty new to the forum)... but I'm curious how many lady hammockers are using a 3/4 underquilt versus a full-length underquilt.

I'm strongly considering making the transition from pad to underquilt in the hopes that I'll be warmer, more comfortable, and able to push my hammocking exploits earlier into the spring and later into the fall. I think I'm pretty much decided on a 20 degree quilt from Hammock Gear (maybe with an ounce or two of overfill), but I can't seem to make up my mind re: 3/4 or full length.

On one hand I'm shorter than most guys (5'4"), so the 3/4 pad would cover more of me than it would a guy and a small pad would easily cover my feet without leaving any gaps. On the other hand, I also have lower blood pressure than most guys (i.e. my feet are always freezing), so maybe a full length quilt would be a safer bet -- especially since it doesn't seem to add too much weight.

Right now I'm leaning towards full-length, but yesterday I was leaning 3/4... so I'd love to hear people's experiences with one/the other/both.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Quote Originally Posted by dunestunes View Post
    Hi all, jumping into this thread almost 300 posts in (pretty new to the forum)... but I'm curious how many lady hammockers are using a 3/4 underquilt versus a full-length underquilt.

I'm strongly considering making the transition from pad to underquilt in the hopes that I'll be warmer, more comfortable, and able to push my hammocking exploits earlier into the spring and later into the fall. I think I'm pretty much decided on a 20 degree quilt from Hammock Gear (maybe with an ounce or two of overfill), but I can't seem to make up my mind re: 3/4 or full length.

On one hand I'm shorter than most guys (5'4"), so the 3/4 pad would cover more of me than it would a guy and a small pad would easily cover my feet without leaving any gaps. On the other hand, I also have lower blood pressure than most guys (i.e. my feet are always freezing), so maybe a full length quilt would be a safer bet -- especially since it doesn't seem to add too much weight.

Right now I'm leaning towards full-length, but yesterday I was leaning 3/4... so I'd love to hear people's experiences with one/the other/both.
    I actually had HG make me a short version. I'm 5'2" and it is just a bit longer than me. Keeps me very warm and I can easily stretch out. The full length was to big, I couldn't keep all that insulation warm, and the 3/4 was too small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

• + New Posts
  • Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast