DIY'S
    Tarp
    Z packs Cuben, DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    depending on how you pitch your tarp, you can stand on the ground, inside the tarp and next to the hammock, and be shielded from all sides for the purpose of changing clothes. In the space between your tarp and your hammock. You have to pitch the tarp so that the ridgline is a bit high and then the sides are staked downward so you have a space to change in. I have a smaller tarp (a larger one would give me more room) but I have coverage down to about my knees or just below when I do this. Let me know if this makes sense.

Hammock
    DIY'S
    Tarp
    Z packs Cuben, DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    There is space between your hammock and your tarp, where you can change clothes while standing on the ground. Pitch your tarp a bit lower on the sides. I have a small tarp, and it covers me down to a bit below my knees. I can't imagine trying to change clothes inside a hammock...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Darien
    Tarp
    winter dream, UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ under quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have a winter seem tarp, so I just go inside Nd close the door.
    The other thing I do is use my large pack towel wrapped around me.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, UGQ TQ
    I just sponsored this Kickstarter campaign for the UnDress https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ersion-2-sport with the beach and hammocking in mind. Looking forward to trying it out this summer.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx, HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Hi all,
    I've hammock camped in the BWCAW on canoe trips the last two years with my sons, daughter-in-law, and friends. So much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground the first year. I just stand between my tarp and hammock to change clothes. Like Lady Di said, I can't imagine changing clothes inside a hammock. Sounds like a sweat-inducing wrestling match to me. I do have some Grizzbeaks to cover the ends in case I need a little more privacy.

Looking forward to warmer times when I can plan a 3-4 day trip to the Superior Hiking Trail. Will need to do a test run of packing my backpack, hiking in and hammock camping at one of the state parks near where I live - Maplewood or Glendalough.

I've done a day hike and also snowshoed wearing a hiking skirt. I like the freedom of movement it provides. Got my skirt from Purple Rain Adventure Skirts and really like the wide smooth waistband. Very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by joanwest View Post
    Re. personal safety-- I believe that hammocks provide an extra level of safety for the solo backpacker because they allow us to camp out of sight where no one would bother us, since we aren't restricted to level ground. I have a camo tarp and hammock for this reason, and also because if someone does see my hammock, I'd rather they assume its some guy's. After backpacking for many miles, I now feel much safer in the woods, but having the ability to stealth camp when I was first gaining confidence to go solo was a game changer for me.
    I also prefer camo colors for my gear for the same reason - harder to spot, and if it is spotted, it looks like it belongs to a guy - a tough guy who knows his way around the woods and is probably packing (or at least, that's what I hope people think). I did get pink accents on the Sparrow I just ordered, but they should be covered by my underquilt and underquilt poncho, not to mention my tarp. Someone would really have to be poking around in my stuff to see the pink.

I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, but as far as privacy:

1) Change lying down in the hammock. It isn't really that hard- just take a bit of care if you're in a bridge hammock to keep it balanced. Lift your butt up a bit to slide your pants past, and you can get changed easily.
    2) Change underneath a nightgown or a poncho. When I'm car camping I like to be comfy and warm, so I wear a heavy, ankle-length nightgown to sleep in, which happens to be perfect for changing privately. I just change clothes completely under the nightgown. I can do the same thing with my Hill People Gear mountain serape. Even the smaller size serape goes down past my knees, so plenty of privacy.
    3) Change under the tarp. Pitch it low, close the doors, and enjoy some privacy.
    4) For the ultimate car-camping glamp experience, bring a pop-up privacy tent (you can even outfit it with a Luggable Loo). Change and do your business in peace and privacy.

Now here is a question for the ladies on this thread- has anyone managed to go to the bathroom in their hammock ala http://www.dutchwaregear.com/pee-bags.html? I thought that a Freshette plus a pee bag might make it possible- tricky to get into the right position in a hammock, but I gave it a go on a night when it was freezing outside and I didn't want to leave the warmth of the sock. It... did not go well. Never been so jealous of male urinary talents as I was at that moment! Wondering whether any ladies have tried this, and whether anyone has succeeded.
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 02-21-2016 at 01:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    Heh. Yeah. I've totally used the earplugs and a half of an ambien approach before, though I've questioned the wisdom of that bit of intoxication. But at the end of the day, I guess I fear no sleep more than I fear the boogeyman/bears/mountain lions/raccoons... ;-)

Definitely considering pepper-spray in a small (not bear-sized) quantity, though...
    I do the same thing. I always sleep with ear plugs in the woods, otherwise every tiny little sound is either a grizzly bear or a guy sneaking up on my hammock. With ear plugs in though I'm fine (and I sleep with bear spray in the hammock).

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    2 women I know who hike alone use the SPOT personal tracker. It's more if they get hurt on the trail or are delayed. They can send messages to family to let them know if they are ok or not ok. If I got out into the woods more, I think the price would be worth it.
    I got a personal locator beacon before my solo trip to Glacier National Park. It doesn't let you contact family back home, but it does let you alert authorities if you need to be rescued. I looked into the SPOT, especially since I know my mom would appreciate regular updates that I was fine, and I was definitely going to be out of cellphone range, but I read that the messages don't always send, and I knew she would be MUCH more worried if she was expecting a message that never arrived. The PLB seemed like a good investment though- good coverage (it depends on the satellite network used apparently), no subscription, and a five year battery. A no-brainer for someone who regularly hikes and camps solo in areas with no cell reception.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Other than that I can't use top quilts because I sleep too cold. I generally have to carry *a lot* more insulation than a healthy guy my size would. I used my down vest a lot when hiking in the US last summer, and had a merino long sleeve in my pack, too. I'd love to see more products like the Exped Dreamwalker - but unfortunately, those sleeping bags are way too heavy for the warmth they provide. I'm better off taking my warmer and lighter sleeping bag AND my down vest...
    I thought it was just me! I am a *very* cold sleeper- a ridiculously cold sleeper. One time on a trail someone asked what was in the big pouches on my pack- they thought it was heavy-duty camera equipment. Nope- just all the extra insulation I carry! Even sleeping in my hammock indoors in 65-70 degree temps I snuggle up with my Arctic woobie. Otherwise I am too cold to sleep! On the trail I will have my underquilt, a space blanket between my hammock layers, my Arctic woobie, my Hill People gear mountain serape, and long underwear. And that's just to be comfortable down to freezing! When I read about what some of the guys on here wear in -20 temps, I just can't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    Oh, and in response to the woman who asked about periods in the woods: double zip-lock baggie with some baking soda inside. Store inside a non-see-through ditty bag and hang it with your food at night (mark it so it's clearly not something your companions will accidentally open when looking for snacks.) I've hiked in grizzly country with this method no problem. You can also use a diva cup or instead cup, but I find that difficult to manage in terms of hygiene/keeping the cup clean, so prefer tampons with the method above.
    I second this. Pads/tampons and double bags with baking soda. I had the misfortune to schedule a week long hiking trip in Glacier National Park during a week when I got my period (my scheduling options were limited). There was a *lot* of grizzly activity in the park then- a couple campsites were closed for all but hard-sided campers and a guy had gotten mauled in Many Glacier literally the week before I camped there- but I was fine with the double bag and baking soda. And I got to see a grizzly bear eating a sheep so dealing with the hassle was well worth it!

The real key to dealing comfortably with your period in the woods though? Baby wipes. We all know that hygiene can be tricky during that time of the month, but baby wipes made clean-up easy. Just stick the used wipe in the bag with the pad when you're done. I like baby wipes specifically because they tend to be very gentle and don't cause irritation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast