Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    "Edit: When you know it violates the rules...just don't do it. Deleted due to violation of HF TOS."

Each of you knew firearm discussions are prohibited.

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    My best friend in from Oregon and now is stuck in New England. There's a lot that cracks her up about us.

I would love to talk about insulation. I had to have my TQ custom made from HG because I'm only 5'2" and the extra long normal wasn't going to work. I got the longer foot box too. It's perfect for me now. I'm thinking about getting a smaller UQ though. Right now I have the 0* incubator and it's loner than I am. When it's cold I can't keep all that down warm so I get cold spots. (I don't generate much heat on my own) I'm considering getting a Phincubator, half way between a 3/4 and full.

As far as periods, I agree with the baking soda bag. Works great for me too.
    Thanks for this thread, ladies- I have just read through this thread for the first time. I love all the tips and the solo hiking discussion- great stuff! lilp: I have a 20* Phoenix with an extra oz. of down and I love it- I sleep cold and it dials in great. I'm a tall gal at 5'10" but the coverage on the Phoenix is great and I think you could almost use it like a full length! I throw my sit pad in my foot box of my TQ and am toasty.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    2 women I know who hike alone use the SPOT personal tracker. It's more if they get hurt on the trail or are delayed. They can send messages to family to let them know if they are ok or not ok. If I got out into the woods more, I think the price would be worth it.
    Good idea...I'll look into that.

I also discovered an iPhone app recently that notifies your chosen contacts if you don't "check in" by a specified timed after an adventure (or internet date or road trip, or...) It works...I forgot to check in the first time I used it for a solo hike, and whoops, alarmed the family needlessly. But it's cool to know it works, and that people will know where to look for me if I don't come home as planned. The app is called "Bugle"

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    WLtdpl,diySnowFort
    Insulation
    HG Inc10,DIY TQ 0?
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    "Edit: When you know it violates the rules...just don't do it. Deleted due to violation of HF TOS."

Each of you knew firearm discussions are prohibited.
    I did not, but thank you for the heads up and please accept my apologies.

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    Just to let you ladies know: I just got back from a five day four night hike on the Long Trail and saw more women than men by two to one!! We're taking over the trails!
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    Just to let you ladies know: I just got back from a five day four night hike on the Long Trail and saw more women than men by two to one!! We're taking over the trails!
    Love it! I'd say that's true on the Washington trails for sure. Next step: take over the Hammock Forum!

Actually, that makes me wonder what the numbers actually are on this forum. It FEELS heavily dude-centric. And judging from the near-impossibility of finding gear in colors that are not camo/brown/olive, it seems like the hammock camping hobby is pretty dude-centric. It doesn't help that everyone here uses usernames instead of their real names, many of which don't clearly suggest the gender of the author, so I find that I usually assume the poster is male. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm definitely curious. My lifetime's experiences with outdoor activities have always had more women involved than it seems are present here. What do you think? How many of us women hangers are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Playapixie View Post
    Love it! I'd say that's true on the Washington trails for sure. Next step: take over the Hammock Forum!

Actually, that makes me wonder what the numbers actually are on this forum. It FEELS heavily dude-centric. And judging from the near-impossibility of finding gear in colors that are not camo/brown/olive, it seems like the hammock camping hobby is pretty dude-centric. It doesn't help that everyone here uses usernames instead of their real names, many of which don't clearly suggest the gender of the author, so I find that I usually assume the poster is male. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm definitely curious. My lifetime's experiences with outdoor activities have always had more women involved than it seems are present here. What do you think? How many of us women hangers are there?
    I don't see what's dude-centric about earth tones. I mean we're not talking wedding decorations here, we're talking camping. Anyway, Eno, Ticket to the Moon and many other brands have brighter colors. If you personally wouldn't want to hang in a hot pink hammock, though, I don't know why you'd expect the cottage manufactures invest in nylon of that color.

I'd say it's about 70/30. I think the numbers will get closer to 60/40 or whatever the general camping split is as hammock camping becomes more mainstream.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Fl Jacket
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I just got back from a few days on the AT in southern PA and was very happy to see both hammocks and women all over the place.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Bump......

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    GHigh.jpg I went with 4 female friends to the Grayson Highlands on a 4 day backpacking trip and women outnumbered men at the shelters. Tents still won the number wars at the shelters. But, we did what we could to spread the word

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast