Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps

Exclamation Hi Ya'll! About strap loop sizes.

Did you know that loop size reduces or increases the strength of your strap?
    I get a lot of request for strap loop sizes of all kinds. 2" 3" 4"; you name it.
    But the recommended loop size for a 1" synthetic webbing according to the WSTDA and OSHA is no less than 6".
    I don't mind doing smaller loops because I rate my straps much lower than they come off the test machine. But whenever possible I like to hear, "With a 6" loop."
    Most of my 1" straps are pull tested with 3/4" hardware.
    One other thing! If you are using a strap as a choker, (as most hammock hangers do) deduct 20% from the rated strength.
    Just a heads up. Finally starting to warm up. High 60's all this week in NH. Better believe I will be out there getting in some much needed hammock time.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I didn't know that. Any idea why?

I agree re: choker hitches. The angle of the "choke" makes a big difference.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Is that a 6" loop as in 3" on each side which combines to 6" of webbing? Or 6" on each side of the loop which combine to make a total of 12" of webbing?

Either way, that would be something good to put on your website. I think an opinionated recommendation backed up by standards would be useful. You're shipping me some straps tomorrow - I would have made the loops 6" if I knew that was the recommendation!

As it is, I'm happy that you rate lower and that my butt is still covered.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Thats good to know, and yes it is time to get out and hang, if it ever stops raining !oh and one more thing -- "With a 6" loop."--

Off course it depends on the diameter of the tree and length of webbing but the tension-less hitch may be the answer to those concerned about the reduction of strength by "choking" the strap. This involves taking two or three wraps around the tree before "choking" the tree hanger. FYI http://dyeclan.com/outdoors101/canyo...sionless-hitch

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I didn't know that. Any idea why?

I agree re: choker hitches. The angle of the "choke" makes a big difference.
    By moving the tension closer to the stitching it adds more stress to the area closest to the stitching. I noticed 3 years ago when I started testing straps that when they had small loops they failed sooner than straps with larger loops.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by mm53bar View Post
    Is that a 6" loop as in 3" on each side which combines to 6" of webbing? Or 6" on each side of the loop which combine to make a total of 12" of webbing?

Either way, that would be something good to put on your website. I think an opinionated recommendation backed up by standards would be useful. You're shipping me some straps tomorrow - I would have made the loops 6" if I knew that was the recommendation!

As it is, I'm happy that you rate lower and that my butt is still covered.
    Helllllooo M&M ! Not to worry unless you weigh over 1000lbs or so
    even though the tag on my 1500lb webbing straps say Max Load 350lbs. And if you weigh over 350 I think the hammock itself would give out before the straps.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Thats good to know, and yes it is time to get out and hang, if it ever stops raining !oh and one more thing -- "With a 6" loop."--
    "May showers bring June flowers." No kidding! Every time I stick my head out the door for the past two weeks it gets rained on. Today looks nice so far though and my two dogs are looking at me like they're waiting for a bus or something.
    Me thinks Rattlesnake Mountain is calling our names. Yup! There it is again.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotboy View Post
    Off course it depends on the diameter of the tree and length of webbing but the tension-less hitch may be the answer to those concerned about the reduction of strength by "choking" the strap. This involves taking two or three wraps around the tree before "choking" the tree hanger. FYI http://dyeclan.com/outdoors101/canyo...sionless-hitch
    Yes! Excellent advice. And thanks for this!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGary View Post
    Helllllooo M&M ! Not to worry unless you weigh over 1000lbs or so
    even though the tag on my 1500lb webbing straps say Max Load 350lbs. And if you weigh over 350 I think the hammock itself would give out before the straps.
    Oh Wait! You got the 3000lb webbing with 3" eyes. You're all set, no worries there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast