Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Woohoo! Another happy hanger!

And yes, learning to use your sleeping bag in the hammock is always a challenge. Goes with the turf. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    ('cept with using the sleeping bag as a quilt you will definitely need something under you)

Congrats!
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    using the sleeping bag like a quilt is much better (imo) just zip it up to the knees only and turn it and use it like covers
    Third this suggestion. I'll be doing that again tonight, exactly as described.

The tightness down the center thing has to be that the ridgeline is too tight. I've never had that in my BB. Straps 6'+ high, trees about 14-15 ft. apart, ridgeline brought almost to tension then backed off until there is just a hint of a sag, and I have no issues with any high spots/ridges at all. I center myself in the hammock, then shift my feet into the footbox and shift my upper body toward the zipper. Removes any bunching or ridges.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hanging instruction!

Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    The tightness down the center thing has to be that the ridgeline is too tight. I've never had that in my BB. Straps 6'+ high, trees about 14-15 ft. apart, ridgeline brought almost to tension then backed off until there is just a hint of a sag, and I have no issues with any high spots/ridges at all. I center myself in the hammock, then shift my feet into the footbox and shift my upper body toward the zipper. Removes any bunching or ridges.
    Fin, that's the clearest "how to" instructions I've seen.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    gutter nails work instead of tent pegs.

Another vote for looser, also another vote for making sure the fabric is flat under you (no ripples of fabric!)

TH
    Amen to the "gutter nails"! I love those things....cheap, light and effective.

I also vote for too tight.

Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Third this suggestion. I'll be doing that again tonight, exactly as described.

Fin, that's the clearest "how to" instructions I've seen.
    Amen to that

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I'm amending my vote from too tight, to straps too high and ridgeline too loose!

Last night I hung from my pergola. The supports that I wrapped around were 8' high. Span was only 16'. The height and angle of the supports did not allow for me to tighten the ridgeline as I normally would, so I had a lot of sag. I had a ridge running right down the middle of my BB! I was able to shift around enough to mitigate the ridge, but that is the first and only time I have had a ridge. I will rehang again tonight to verify, but this surprised the heck out of me. I would expect the opposite, unless it has something to do with the asym shape of the BB and the way it is whipped, or even the way I had my UQ hung.

I usually hang from my pergola with my BMBH or a no-net parachute hammock and only when no rain is expected, as I can't put up a tarp. But I'll risk it tonight. Maybe it will move some rain my way!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123