Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Traveler

Help me decide: WB Mamba or HG Burrow (or something else)

Need your advice or input or personal experience on TQ's. I am slowing refining my hammock set up and I have my suspension and bottom insulation set. Now I need to decide on my top insulation.

I am 5'11" and weigh 215 with. I'm in a WB traveler 1.1 double layer. I typically sleep in a smart wool base layer and have with me a puffy jacket and hat which I augment (if needed) my sleep system. I'm backpacking so weight is an issue but I'm OK with trading an ounce or two for the right quilt. I'll be in a variety of climates but my 'target' is the Rockies in northern Colorado or southern Wyoming in September.

I like the looks of the Warbonnet Mamba 3 season. I'm also thinking that it's DWR is a plus.

The Hammock Gear Burrow (20 or 40 with overstuff) also seem like pretty darn nice quilts and they are a bit lighter.

Also found the AHE Owyhee online - anyone have experience with that one? The price is nice.

Any one with experience on these or other options I should consider? Many thanks.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    No experience with down tqs, but if you go synthetic, make one...its about $50 for materials.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Check out our 30* Flight Jacket TQ on our website, the perfect blend of warm and weight. I've backpacked the Rockies in September plenty og time and either a 20 or 30* would be my choice. We use HyperDRY down in either a 700 or 850 flavor, 15d .9 oz fabrics in 10 colors, .7oz nanomesh baffles, and provide excellent craftsmanship.

See reviews and comments HERE on UGQ's sub-forum page.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have a 20 Degree Burrow and am really impressed with it. The feel of the Argon against the skin is nice. It is plenty warm as well as easy to vent when necessary for warmer nights. I would highly recommend HG and their quality is top notch. I must also say that I dont think that you will go wrong with either option, as I have bought a couple of items from Warbonnet and their quality is unmatched as well. All things being equal, I would just flip a coin between the two as you will be perfectly happy with either choice.

I would also recommend the Sewn Closed footbox option on the Burrow.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    +1 on HammockGear's Burrow. I would definitely get the 20* with sewn footbox for your conditions. While September in the Rockies (I live in Denver) is one of my favorite times to backpack, getting snow that time of year definitely isn't out of the question.

As another thought, if you ever plan on going to the ground occasionally (I know, dreadful, right?), I'd recommend considering Katabatic Gear. Their prices are a good bit higher than HammockGear, but their Alsek is awesome and has the best system of attaching the quilt to a sleeping pad that I've ever seen. Their system of clips really work.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    Does anyone know how small either of the top quilts pack down when they're in a stuff sack? I've been deliberating between these two as well and it's getting hard to make a decision - I'm thinking it'd be helpful to know how much room each of them will take up in my pack.
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Stock stuff sack for the Burrow is 8x16 but it could go a bit smaller if needed. I would put both my 20 degree Incubator and my 20 degree burrow in a 15L Sea-Summit Event compression sack and they still had a lot of compression left in them.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Check out our 30* Flight Jacket TQ on our website, the perfect blend of warm and weight. I've backpacked the Rockies in September plenty og time and either a 20 or 30* would be my choice. We use HyperDRY down in either a 700 or 850 flavor, 15d .9 oz fabrics in 10 colors, .7oz nanomesh baffles, and provide excellent craftsmanship.

See reviews and comments HERE on UGQ's sub-forum page.
    Thanks for the link. I'd never looked at your stuff before, but I like it. You did expand my choices though.... thanks for making my decision a little harder now. dB

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    +1 on HammockGear's Burrow. I would definitely get the 20* with sewn footbox for your conditions. While September in the Rockies (I live in Denver) is one of my favorite times to backpack, getting snow that time of year definitely isn't out of the question.

As another thought, if you ever plan on going to the ground occasionally (I know, dreadful, right?), I'd recommend considering Katabatic Gear. Their prices are a good bit higher than HammockGear, but their Alsek is awesome and has the best system of attaching the quilt to a sleeping pad that I've ever seen. Their system of clips really work.
    Brian, many thanks. I especially appreciate the advice coming from someone with local experience. I'm usually north of Walden with my brother chasing elk in September. Some days it feels like 80, others it's sleet and frost at night. Hence my interest in warmth and weight and perhaps DWR for those times when it's dicey to get everything up and keep it dry. dB

Between the Burrow & the Mamba (in the same temp range) I prefer the Burrow.
    Argon feels better against skin.
    Water resistant down (I learned that's legit from experience - I'll never buy regular down again).
    Burrow is lighter & packs smaller.

Also, all those reasons are nits and none would be enough to sway me off of Mamba if that's what I wanted. The Mambe is great quality and will deliver as advertised.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast