WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

OES Alternative?

I absolutely am hooked on the OES tarp. It's quality is raved about, it's price is great, BUUUTT........ (we all know how big that but is)

What is good alternative? I'm mostly concerned with the weight, coverage, and pricing. Is there anything else that can meet the same specs as the OES tarp?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Under Ground Quilts has the Hanger series of tarps that are similar to the OES.

http://www.undergroundquilts.com/tarps/default.html
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Images
    I had the MacCat Dlx, and I loved it. But I felt like I needed a little more coverage for my JRB bridge than it provided, so I got a JRB 11X10 rectangular ( with some small cat cuts) and have been totally happy with it. It weighed a few oz more but def provided more coverage on the sides for the spreader bars, and has a wide variety of configurations it can be pitched in, like a Baker Hut or a tent mode(aka hammock hut?) when pitched on the 10 ft ridge line. They also have several other tarps. I'm sure there are also several other high quality tarps among HF vendors, this is just one I know about. They are on sale at $129.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shelters-accessories/
    It would probably arrive yesterday if ordered today. Or close anyway.

Hammock
    HH/SLD/GTUL/DH
    Tarp
    WL BD/MLD UL/OES
    Insulation
    te-wa/KAQ/WL/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Wilderness logics has excellent tarps at a great price and little to no wait time.

I have both wilderness logics and an oes tarps all though I bought the oes here on the for sale section.
    check out my youtube channel! Trip Reports and hammock talk. - Creekcrossings Youtube channel

My Blog - Creekcrossings blog

Also check out my Facebook page! - Creekcrossings Facebook page

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Arrowhead Toxaway is a nice tarp for the price.

Check out the Trail Haven series from Jared at www.simplylightdesigns.com . He offers lots of options too.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Luckily most of the manufacturers have similar quality choices. I have several OES and dealing with Brian was fine (need a bit of patience but no issues). But I do have tarps from other manufacturers and they are great too. feel safe that chances are you cannot make a bad selection.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think that OES has more satisfied customers than not. Awesome tarps so the 'but' is worth it IMO. I have not had any issue with the orders I've placed with Brian. Top shelf work he does. My answer to the Op's question is I have high regards of tarps from Wilderness Logics and reccomend them. Marty's products and service are awesome.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Like most makers who are on the leading edge, folks catch up to what they're doing and the quality gap narrows, or its even exceeded in quality by other makers trying to make their mark. OES was one of the first true hammock tarp makers, but this product is largely unchanged after a decade. A sil hex tarp is not hard to reproduce without much in regard to intellectual property of its design.

This has been said a number of times, so the above is just an attempt to add another take on it, but there are too many producers of hammock tarps putting out really good product to get locked in on any one of them - not to mention one that has been getting a bad rap.

I have had a Toxaway for several years now and love it. It pitches very taut due to more aggressive cat cuts in comparison to some other tarps, like the WB BMJ (which is another fine one to consider). For that reason, I don't feel the need for pull outs most of the time, which it doesn't have. I carry 2 tarp clips to attach as needed, but typically only use 1 if that since I'm usually only blocking wind from one side.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    DIY & HG TQ/HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    The warbonnet edge seems like a great tarp for a great price! Seems like one of the lightest as well.

Anyone own this tarp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast