ENO Doublenest w/ str. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Equinox Egret 8x10
    Insulation
    sleeping bag & ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies

Sewing Details for APEX quilts

So I'm preparing to finally attempt some APEX quilts, and want to clarify a few details about how to sew them up so I don't make any expensive mistakes!

For the TQ: I take it that the "envelope method" is the technique of choice -- makes sense to me. So once I get the sides all sewn up that way, what do I do to finish up the top and bottom ends? Do I just do a rolled seam with shockcord through it on each end and call it a day? Furthermore, with the envelope method, how (if at all) do you attach ties or other footbox-creating points?

For the UQ: For the head and foot ends, I would assume the same strategy applies as for the TQ. But how do you do side channels with the envelope method?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by rychipman View Post
    So I'm preparing to finally attempt some APEX quilts, and want to clarify a few details about how to sew them up so I don't make any expensive mistakes!

For the TQ: I take it that the "envelope method" is the technique of choice -- makes sense to me. So once I get the sides all sewn up that way, what do I do to finish up the top and bottom ends? Do I just do a rolled seam with shockcord through it on each end and call it a day? Furthermore, with the envelope method, how (if at all) do you attach ties or other footbox-creating points?

For the UQ: For the head and foot ends, I would assume the same strategy applies as for the TQ. But how do you do side channels with the envelope method?

Thanks!
    Not sure why you're putting shockcord on the TQ but if it's something you really want then I'd suggest a channel for it. I find that the channel allows a better adjustment than having the shockcord too close to the climashield.

Envelope method is easiest for the TQ - lay out the two fabric layers right sides together (if there is right side/wrong side for your fabric), Then lay the climashield over it. I like cutting the climashield a little larger and trimming afterwards. You don't need to leave a complete end open, all you really need is 12 - 18" opening in the centre of one end to allow you to turn after stitching. Do not leave the opening at a corner, leave it in the center of the seam.

After stitching, trim any excess Climashield away then trim your corners to reduce the bulk. Turn right side out making sure that you push the corners out. You can either hand sew the opening shut or do it by machine right close to the edge (if you use that end as the bottom it's not going to show much).

I like to do a row of top stitching all the way around the quilt about an inch in from the edge. It helps hold the edges flat and reinforces the seam to hold the Climashield in place. For the footbox I prefer a sewn in one. I tried snaps and kept kicking them open with my feet. I layered the long edges together, top stitched them for about 16" up the seam making sure that I didn't catch any other part of the quilt in the stitching (it's easy to do) then laid it out flat and top-stitched the end closed.

For the channels, cut a strip of fabric about 5" wide by the length of the side you wan the channel on PLUS 2" for hem allowance. Hem both narrow ends then fold the fabric in half lengthwise. I like to sew a seam a 1/4" from the cut edge because it holds the channel together while you're working on the quilt.

Lay the two layers of fabric (right sides together) then lay the channel fabric between the two layers with the cut edges lined up. This puts the channel inside the quilt fabric. Repeat for each side. Add the layer of climashield as for the top quilt, stitch and turn. Voila, the channels are where you want them.

I put channels on all four sides of my underquilt. I wanted (and have used) adjustments all the way around.
    Last edited by The Old Boot; 05-06-2014 at 09:13.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    i just cut my shell fabric 1.5'' wider than the insulation in all directions, sew it all together sandwitchlike and then i have room to hem.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Lot's of info can be gleaned from this article...https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Q-Instructions

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Quote Originally Posted by rychipman View Post
    For my UQs with channels, I use a modified french seam. I lay out the fabric like I want it to end up, bottom layer, channels, then top layer. I then sew though the four layers on three sides. I then flip it inside out, so the channels are now inside the envelope that will become the UQ. I put the Apex on top, and then sew through the the five layers far enough that the rough edge of the fabric is inside the seam allowance. I then flip it inside out again. If done right, you have clean seams on three sides with the channels projecting from the envelope. Then I do a rolled hem on the bottom.

One tricky step with this method is to make sure you don't mistakenly sew the side channels closed when sewing along the top seam when it is flipped inside out.

• + New Posts