Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock

Hammock fabric questions: 1.1 show stretch marks too bad from moving around?

I need some folks with experience in this area to do me a favor and help me out by sharing experiences. I've got a double layer hammock on order. Origionally I was going with a 1.1 double layer because I'm only 180-185lbs. I got to researching and playing with some 1.1 and found that the lighter fabrics show stretch marks fairly easily. My concern is pushing up to reach the top of the hammock for the bugnet, or rolling over while sleeping on an arm and a lot of weight being placed in one spot. Things that are unavoidable when in a hammock. I've done a lot of research and found stretch marks are common in 1.1 no matter what manufacturer. Obviously thread count matters, but 1.1 is so light weight that if you stress an area with a heel or elbow it's going to show.

I know most of the weight is born by the outer layer in a dbl layer hammock. I am considering making the inner layer 1.8 instead of 1.1. for comfort, stiffer lay, etc, and now I am considering making both layers 1.8 because I'm not sure if the 1.8 inner layer will protect the outer layer if say a heel presses against it. I don't relish the extra weight of a 1.8 dbl layer, but I want the hammock to be durable and continue to look good for a long time. If I can get away with a 1.8 inner and 1.1 outer that'd be great because the color options are much better, but I don't want the outside looking like crap after a few outings either. The real concern is the zipper for the net is at the head and foot ends, no middle, so I will have to move around in the hammock to access it. The "play it safe" part of me says go with a 1.8 dbl layer to make it more bullet proof, but I don't have experience with either fabric so I don't know if I'm worrying too much over nothing. And I know it's not a weight issue. a 1.1 dbl would easily hold me. This is purely asthetic concerns at this point. The 1.1 outer 1.8 inner would look great and feel great, the 1.8 dbl would be bomb proof.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I weigh just shy of 200# and have some 1.1 double hammocks and some 1.5 single layer hammocks. I feel totally confident in both. I actually prefer the feel of the 1.5 single because it does give a little bit. I kind of like a mattress on the softer side too, so that's probably just a matter of preference. I also have a 1.1 single layer and my confidence starts to get a little shaky at that point, but I know folks heavier than me use a 1.1 single.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I weigh 190 and I usually sleep in a 1.0 SL (DH Darien UL) and have yet to fall through it. The only hammock I've fallen through is one I made out of M50. I think the bigger concern is the stitch line at the end channels. I've noticed that on all 1.1 channel end hammocks the fabric will start to tear away from the stitching. That can be remedied by whipping the ends. But I still sleep in my 1.0 and a 1.1 sometimes and haven't had any catastrophes...yet.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Gone
    Tarp
    back
    Insulation
    to
    Suspension
    ground
    My 1.7 single Traveler shows marks if I put a more "focused" weight into it. Freaked me out at first, but I haven't fallen through yet.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I have a 1.1 sl I made with fabric from ripstopbytheroll and I weigh 230ish. I have spents 8 nights in it + some random hours and there are ZERO signs of wear. I don't expect it to last forever but I have inspected it closely and will continue to do so. I am not being careful with it so that I have an idea of life expectancy for future hammocks from this fabric. I don't know the difference in quality between the different ripstops but id say you should be more than fine with the 1.1dl.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    all my 1.1 hammys get runs. nothing bad has happened since.
    and im 200#

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't backpack with 1.1 oz single layer hammocks for precisely this reason. I've had two 1.1 oz hammocks fail, so I won't be doing that anymore. Last thing I want is to be out on the trail with no hammock.

However, I would feel quite comfortable with a 1.1 oz DL hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't backpack with 1.1 oz single layer hammocks for precisely this reason. I've had two 1.1 oz hammocks fail, so I won't be doing that anymore. Last thing I want is to be out on the trail with no hammock.
    Could you share your weight with us?

Thanks,
    Peter

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    I have a 1.0 dbl (32 g/sm) parachute nylon hammock(DIY) that's seen over a 100 nights sleeping at home, not a sign of stretch on it anywhere and I'm 220lb. 2 nights in a new 1.0 single and all is good there so far.

Yet to try the Shug stylee flying entry on them though.

I am very careful though about zips, pocket contents, sharp bits on clothes etc.

• + New Posts