Thread: Loch Ken

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ...I was swarmed with midges at Haweswater and the net did what it needed to do...KEEP THEM OUT. A "Trial By Fire" such as I have rarely encountered before.

Glad to hear it, although between the 2, I would prefer to be swarmed by English midges any day, the Scottish ones don't take prisoners, although unfortunately the English also suffer from Mosquitoes, which I wouldn't wish on anybody.

I haven't worked out just why yet, but having significantly different spreader bar lengths and correspondingly differently sized suspension triangles noticeably reduced tippiness over previous of my hammocks that were symmetric.

Grizz
    I have read up on TeeDees articles, but also some others, including yourself who have went in slightly different directions, I just need to make one DIY Bridge first to see where I want to go from there. You and I's stature and weight seemed very similar, certainly your Bridge fitted and felt very comfortable, so it seems logical to start from there, especially as you guys have put in so much effort and wonderful mathematical threads

Interesting point about the different sized suspension triangles, as I told you at Loch Ken, the tippyness was something I just couldn't handle with the Jacks Bridge, I got seasick in it seemed seconds, but that probably was me not setting it up properly, <shrug>.

I apologise in advance for the bombardment of PM's you are about to receive

PS I'm ignoring the comment about the Fosters, since you drank most of it

Cheers

Stephen

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I haven't worked out just why yet, but having significantly different spreader bar lengths and correspondingly differently sized suspension triangles noticeably reduced tippiness over previous of my hammocks that were symmetric.
    I had a think about that, and it may be as simple as the harmonics of the hammock ends being different enough to perhaps not cancel each other out but interfere with each other, lessening the swing, rather than exacerbating it.

Stephen

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Southern Scotland!
    M-m-m-m- .... some crawfish and grits would be so palatable on the shores of a Loch.
    Glad for you Grizz and for you being our American Ambassador of Hammock Arts.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Shug et al, its amazing the number of questions that you wished you had asked Grizz afterwards , even on the way home I was thinking I wished I'd asked about.....(so many things), and taken more photos.

The crayfish are a serious problem on the Loch, with no natural predators here, although I think the local wildlife, ie Otters and escaped Mink (another American nuisance) have taken a liking to them, we saw enough evidence of predation, claws mostly.

The brown trout in the loch are suffering badly, and so is the fishing, local hotels etc up the food chain, not good.

There were signs up saying that a serious licensed trapping session was about to start to hopefully bring them under control, no way will they eradicate them without poisoning the Loch.

They do make good eating though , not sure about the grits, perhaps a home made Tartar sauce

Stephen

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gailainne View Post
    Shug et al, its amazing the number of questions that you wished you had asked Grizz afterwards , even on the way home I was thinking I wished I'd asked about.....(so many things), and taken more photos.

The crayfish are a serious problem on the Loch, with no natural predators here, although I think the local wildlife, ie Otters and escaped Mink (another American nuisance) have taken a liking to them, we saw enough evidence of predation, claws mostly.

The brown trout in the loch are suffering badly, and so is the fishing, local hotels etc up the food chain, not good.

There were signs up saying that a serious licensed trapping session was about to start to hopefully bring them under control, no way will they eradicate them without poisoning the Loch.

They do make good eating though , not sure about the grits, perhaps a home made Tartar sauce

Stephen
    Yep, after a camp out I always think of things I should have asked or tried. For instance, I could kick myself for not asking Griz if I could try out his latest bridge hammock at this years Mt Rogers hang.

I hear a lot about critters that have found their way (with the help of humans) to America & are now a nuisance, but I've never give thought to people taking wildlife from America to places were they didn't need to be.
    Instead of counting on other critters to get rid of them, maybe you could make sure everyone knows how good they are to eat.
    People are pretty good at over fishing & reducing the population sometimes<G>.

Beautiful place!!! And pretty cool that Griz was able to hook up w/ you guys across the big pond!!!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12