WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

AL>Need Oak Mtn State Park HELP

Me and a few family members plan to do and overnighter at Oak Mtn State Park next weekend. We want to do a good out and back to get a good experience of the park (never been there).

We want to do maybe 3-5 miles hiking in and 3-5 walking back out. We will be hanging (of course) and were thinking one of their backcountry sites.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

Edit: by the way - we will be in two cars so could possibly park on one side and hike to the other. I had thought about parking at the Peavine parking area, hiking the white trail and camping at the backcountry site near, Peavine branch, then hiking the next day to the North trail head parking lot.

OR I had considered parking at the north trail head and doing the blue trail to the connecter to the white trail and taking the white trail back.
    Last edited by MississipVol; 05-09-2014 at 10:57.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    MSvol,

Two years ago, my wife and I did a 7 mile loop from the north trailhead. Started on the Red bike trail about 3 miles, crossed over on the mountain top to the White trail to loop back. Stealth camping would have to be used on that loop. Last year we left the same trailhead, travelled west along the Yellow trail and camped at Backcountry site #2. Came out by the old lake and road walked back to the trailhead. Think that was about 6 miles total. They don't have that many "official" backcountry sites, so stealth it or book official spots in advance. Backcountry #2 only had a wet weather seep for water, so take that in account for plans.

http://www.alabamatrail.org/hikingAL/OakMt/map.htm

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Digital Camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah tarp 12
    Insulation
    Grapenut Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey nice oak mountain state park is awesome. The edge of my property line butts up against oak mountain so its is literally my back yard. There are 3 back country sites. I agree butt I would do it the other way take the blue trail to the orange connector then the next day take white to peavine falls. The reason being is that the part of the blue trail from the north trail head to the orange connector has some beautiful views overlooks like kings chair. Definitely do it that way then take white to peavine falls leaving. I will attach a picture of the map and of peavine falls. uploadfromtaptalk1399764491193.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399764524305.jpg
    "If there is a problem duct tape"

• + New Posts