Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

One night... Well maybe two.

PART 1. THE FIRST NIGHT

It happened again. The stars aligned and I was granted two days off from my responsibilities. It was supposed to be a quick overnighter to the winter test site, just to relax and get the new hammock out into the bush. I had already packed up the night before and was almost ready to go after work, I just had to pack a few food items and such and say goodbye to the family. I was downstairs grabbing my bearbag when a brochure from Miquelon Lake provincial park fell from underneath and a lightbulb went off above my head. I could for go the test site and travel the extra thirty kilometers to hang somewhere I have not before, and do some recon for future group hangs.
    A quick trip to the Miquelon web site told me that it was fifteen measly dollars per night and that the park was open year round, and there were no fire or alcohol bans on at present. Also, self registration was in effect, so I knew that it would be fairly quiet.
    I hit the road excited for the coming night. It had been a while since I set foot at Miquelon Lake, I used to camp here every summer and fall in my younger days, but the province had recently renovated the campgrounds and everything had changed. I wondered to myself if I would be sleeping in my SUV due to the lack of good hanging trees.
    I arrived at the park gates a little after seven, and I knew I still had two hours of light by which to set camp. I stopped at the gate shack and read all the information posted, then proceeded on to the campgrounds. I recalled that someone had posted here on the forums that loops B and C had some big trees but unfortunately those loops are closed for the winter months, so I had to settle with loop A. I drove around, looking for suitable trees. I stopped and looked in sites for suitable trees. I did not see any. My future looked bleak. I continued on.
    Finally, around the backside of loop A, I found a series of sites that had just what I was looking for. In fact, I would say a good thirty hammockers could group hang in five sites all in a row. I picked 51 A, because it was closest to the washroom and was away from other campers. Camp was set about fifteen minutes later.

After getting everything dialed in, it was time to find some fire wood. Earlier I had noticed a big widow maker about ten feet behind my hammock and figured it would be sufficient for the night. I broke out my sawvivor and approached the dead poplar, sizing it up and wondering where to drop it. No sooner had I leaned up against it, that it toppled over with a loud crash into the underbrush below. It had come clean out of the ground, there was not even a stump left. I dragged the mass of hardwood back to my camp and proceeded to buck it up. It took about half an hour before I had fire roaring in the pit, and a smokie strategically placed as to allow me to walk around.

I spent the next few hours relaxing by the warmth. I had built a good solid coal base in the first hour so that I could keep the fire smaller. This allowed me stay close, and not burn as much wood. I was even able to dry out my socks and boots. At around quarter to ten the coyotes lit up, I could hear their chilling calls coming from all around me and I felt eerily merry. That coupled with goose banter was enough to keep my imagination running wild. You see, I don't get scared anymore, I am older, but I know what IS out there and sometimes it makes me feel a little uneasy. I would hate to become dinner for a large cat.
    At eleven thirty I decided to check the temperature after noticing frost accumulating on the picnic table. It was one degree Celsius. There were also some crazy animal calls around this time too. I have never heard sounds like these before. They were far away and sounded like screaming. It sent chills up my spine, but I do like a good adventure and decided to investigate. I grabbed my Buck Hoodlum and my headlamp and set off down the path behind my site. The calls continued for five or six minutes and then stopped when I crested a hill. In front of me was an old cook house and the washroom. I entered the cookhouse and noticed right away a large pile of dry, split wood. This was a blessing since my pile back at camp was slowly dwindling, I grabbed up an arm load and returned to my bastion of warmth.
    The rest of the evening was fairly uneventful, I ate some more smokies, drank some more rum, and eventually turned in for the night.

I slept like a baby, not even waking once.
    When morning broke, there were some very annoying crows roosting in a tree above my nest, and suffice to say they woke me up. My feet were freezing cold so I decided to leave my olive cocoon and get a fire going. I was glad to have prepped some tinder and kindling the night before and had a roaring fire within minutes. Breakfast consisted of oatmeal and coffee, a great start to an even greater day, but that's a tale for another time.

To be continued .....

Last edited by snidetripod; 05-09-2014 at 16:30.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Looks mighty cosy to me, staring into a fires glowing embers,
    makes a lot of lifes tensions fade away...enjoyed your post.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Looks you had a great time. I am looking forward to part 2, when another Edmonton hanger joins you.

That 300+ km trail you wrote about in the other thread also sounds great.

Cheers

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Off to a good start. Looking forward to part 2.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Part 2 in a couple days. I am smoking busy this weekend, I work a busy kitchen and tomorrow is Mother's Day. I'll get on it after work.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Sounds great but I'm glad that I didn't come out there. I'm not equipped for 1*C temps! On the plus side (for you), I would have kept the fire going all night to keep the chills away!

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Part Two : An Unexpected Guest

I awoke in the morning ..... Oh ya, I have been through this.
    It was a beautiful day. Mr. Golden Sun decided to come out and spread his warm rays across the land, so I ventured out. First I went to find some water. I gathered up my filter bag and wandered down the road, stopping at every faucet along the way. Alas, the water was not on, and would not be on till May long as I found out later.
    Bummed out that I may have to head back home, I walked down to the beach to get some reception on the old cell phone. On the way I saw some sights, some funny and some grizzly.

Sometimes I stop to take pictures of signage around where I explore. I found this sign at the head of the beach. It is kind of ironic that no more than five feet from this sign I saw these, fresh in the sand.

I did some more exploration of the beach, nothing else really caught my eye except there was a red tail falcon carcass by one of the dunes. It was missing it's head. I have a picture of it, but since this is a family site I will refrain from posting it. I eventually ended up at a picnic table where the cell phone reception was at full. I took some time to call home and reassure my loved ones that everything was okay on my end, and that I would be staying another night.

After, I returned to camp and got a fire going. I boiled some water from which to wash by, and had a little extra to cook my ramen. I love eating ramen for lunch when I am camping, the broth warms me up and gives me a boost. Plus, it's not a crazy heavy meal, so I don't feel tired after.
    Looking at my phone, I realized that I had been in range of a WiFi spot during my travels the night before. I tried hard to remember where I had trod, and I figured it had to be up by the cookshack and interpretive center. I gathered up my charger, and packed some snacks into my backpack and journeyed forth. I figured that if I found the hot spot I could hang out for a bit and post here about my extended stay.
    Arriving at the interpretive center, my phone noticed the WiFi network coming from the south side of the building, where there were picnic tables to sit at, and a wall plug for charging. Soon I was signed in and ready to post about my decision.
    I sat there for maybe an hour or so, watching YouTube and surfing the net; relaxing in the shade and letting my cell phone charge. I think I may have even dosed off for a bit because I had not noticed that Old n Slow had responded to my post and had decided to join me. I gathered up my things and headed back to camp to start the daunting task of processing the evenings firewood.

Dinner consisted of left over smokies and some Dads oatmeal cookies. I also had enough rum for another night, so I mixed a drink and settled in for another lonely night by the hot fire.
    No sooner had I finished my first slug of spirits I heard a vehicle driving around the loops. A few moments later, a small green car pulled up a little past my site, stopped, and backed in. Having a little liquid courage in me, I stood up to see who it was. I walked up to the car as a burly, older gentleman stepped out and stretched out his arm in greeting. It was Old n Slow totally taking me by surprise, and I was very surprised. I was so happy to finally have someone to hang with.
    He quickly got to setting up his rig, as we both explained our setups to each other. He regaled me tales from his earlier years at the MAHHA and HotSprings hangs, and we discussed options for group hangs around here. We both indulged in libation and generally enjoyed each others company around the campfire. Around eleven, Old n Slow bid me goodnight and retired to his nest, and I, being half cut from the remainder of my rum, decided to go exploring.
    I was looking for a series of trails that looped around in a wild part of the park. There are a couple of lakes back there and lots of wildlife. I walked past the interpretive center and studied the map at the info box. I needed to hike to the far end of the parking lot and the trails would be across the main road just beyond the exit.
    To make a long story short, I did not end up finding said trails, but instead stumbled into an area that I was not supposed to be in. There were houses, a dump and sewage lagoons, and all in all, I explored for nearly three hours, returning to camp with the sunrise. I crawled into my cozy cocoon and passed out.
    I awoke to the smell of breakfast, and did not hesitate to leave the warmth of my hammock to investigate. I was hungry after my drunken foray the night before and eggs and bacon would definitely hit the spot. Old n Slow was already awake, laboring over his campstove boiling water and frying eggs. The bacon was already cooked. He offered me some coffee and plated me up some huevos to which I was thank full. I scarfed them up and washed them down with some instant java, then got to tearing down.
    Camp was packed up in less than an hour, I was totally hung over so movement was not my strong suit, but before I knew it, it was time to leave. Old n Slow and I said our farewells and proceeded to leave the campsite.
    This was a great trip. I had fun setting up my new hammock and using my superfly with the no sew pole mod out at Miquelon Lake Provincial Park. It was not a bust, there are lots of trees to hang from, and having company on the second night was awesome. I was not cold, (except for my feet which are always) and I did not run out of water. I explored a little bit and was able to refine my skills a little more. I would say, this was a successful trip and I will definitely return.
    Thanks for reading. Cheers.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Awesome report! I really enjoyed reading it... makes me want to go out and camp right now!

• + New Posts