Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images

zip mod with s/s

hey guys-just got to thinking about winter camping and my s/s. my explorer is in transit for a zip mod and i have started thinking about the repercussions to the s/s and overcover set-up.anyone here use the full s/s with a zip mod?i can see possibly sewing bottom slit of undercover with no prob but am wondering about the overcover being in the way of the zippers.that said ,if i have to sew it up and the overcover won't work i might as well sell it (used 2times) and just get an underquilt.(don't tell my wife).i obviously don't have it here to play with so any info would be great-thx

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    hey guys-just got to thinking about winter camping and my s/s. my explorer is in transit for a zip mod and i have started thinking about the repercussions to the s/s and overcover set-up.anyone here use the full s/s with a zip mod?i can see possibly sewing bottom slit of undercover with no prob but am wondering about the overcover being in the way of the zippers.that said ,if i have to sew it up and the overcover won't work i might as well sell it (used 2times) and just get an underquilt.(don't tell my wife).i obviously don't have it here to play with so any info would be great-thx
    The Overcover would be the only possible problem I can see. As far as the UC and pad/space blanket, it should make things easier to manage. Because you will be able to feel and look under there while you are in the hammock. To adjust pad position if needed, and check for any gaps or loft compression of any insulation you may have added down below.

As for the OC, and side entry with a zip mod, it seems like you will have to make some mods. But I don't think it would be very hard. You will have to change where the side pull out elastics go through the loop on the side of the over cover. Maybe just by not running the hammock elastics through the OC loop on the entry side, but once you get in have a separate piece of cord or elastic to tie the OC side loop down to where the elastics go through the side hole in the hammock and UC.

Then you could untie it and scoot out of the way enough for side entry via the zippered opening, MAYBE. I've never fooled with an OC so I really have no clue. But you should be able to check if this will work easily enough, once your hammock is back.

Who else has an OC? Kwapke? RRev? Maybe y'all could check to see if the OC will move out of the way enough for entry once the loop on the side is freed up from the elastics?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't have the zip mods but the overcover _as designed_ would certainly be a hindrance to side entry. But having said that... the mod should be easy to fix given the access provided by the mods. Rather than running the tie outs through the overcover as designed I would attach a mitten hook to the overcover through the hole provided. When I was entering or exiting the hammock, unclip the hook and get it out of the way. When settled reach out through the zip mod and hook it up again. That would be my solution.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I don't have the zip mods but the overcover _as designed_ would certainly be a hindrance to side entry. But having said that... the mod should be easy to fix given the access provided by the mods. Rather than running the tie outs through the overcover as designed I would attach a mitten hook to the overcover through the hole provided. When I was entering or exiting the hammock, unclip the hook and get it out of the way. When settled reach out through the zip mod and hook it up again. That would be my solution.
    In your opinion, with the Overcover free of the tie outs as described, would there be enough room (would you be able to move the OC enough out of the way) to enter the hammock from the side?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    In your opinion, with the Overcover free of the tie outs as described, would there be enough room (would you be able to move the OC enough out of the way) to enter the hammock from the side?
    BB58 I do not own the official HH release of the overcover. If I look at the pictures on the HH site it looks to me like I built mine along the same model. That is.. there are only 4 attachment points. The ridgeline which attaches to the tarp prussics (as designed) and the tieout ports. One of the features I remember seeing about the overcover is that it is easily flipped over the ridgeline to provide added ventilation when it is not needed for warmth. In that case... yes it certainly reasonable to assume side entry would be no problem.

The OverCover may also be released on one side and the loose half can be tucked between the netting and the OverCover on the opposite side to expose half of the netting and still block the wind from one side.
    http://hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    I have the OC and it is esentially the UC without slit but a hole instead. The side tie outs are fead through the hole on each side. Instead of doing this on the zipper side. You should be able to take a small biner and attach it throgh the hole on the OC and then clip it on the tie out. It might not be as tight a fit as HH want you to install it, but you could install a ring or loop in the tie out to compensate for the slack induced by the biner.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Images
    well thx guys-i was starting to wonder-i can see possibly clipping back to the tie out before closing zip,that should work with alittle modifying.i only use the overcover when it's gonna be really cold.now if i remember,does the undercover not come up over the bugnet abit?i guess i can just push it out of the way,it's starting to come back to me now-thx

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The undercover does extend over the bugnet a little bit but that would not presenbt an issue at all.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

overcover

Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    It will work, at least it does on mine with left side full zip.

• + New Posts