Carabiners or Prusik knots for tarp?

Have a Kelty Noah 12x12 tarp, and haven't really used it just yet - but wondering:

I've got mine set up with a 30' hank of paracord, and a couple prusik knots already "in place" on the paracord. The paracord passes through the two loops on the tarp, but NOT the "end" loops. I've got some toggles made out of an old aluminum arrow that I use to attach the prusik knots to either end/corner tie-downs.

I've seen the continuous ridge set ups some have shown with a carabiner on one end (or both). My concern is that using a carabiner in the loop creates a setup that is too "rigid" in the case of winds. I guess one could use some shock cord between the tie-down and the carabiner to provide some "give". I know the prusik is not as flexible as the carabiner, but it does seem to give a tad (since there's no real weight to keep it real tight).

So - I like the idea of using a continuous ridge line with a carabiner - but I'm afraid that will be too rigid in the case of wind gusts (I'm from Kansas, and we've been having regular 40mph+ gusts nearly every other day now for weeks, some going up to 60, etc.). The prusik is rigid as well, but from what I've already seen in a setup at my house, it does seem the prusik has some give, where the carabiner alone would not. The carabiner/shockcord combination would seem good, but I'm concerned about too much movement with the shock cord. Just seems I need to have something with a bit of give in it - but not sure which would be "better".

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I use a tight ridge line - an S-hook to attach at one end and the other end pulled tight with Figure 9's or a Trucker's Hitch. I am currently using UCR's instead of prussiks to attach the tarp to the ridge line. Not much (if any) give in that part of the pitch. I pull the tie-outs taut - not much give there either but obviously you can never get (nor would you want) a completely rigid setup.
    If you felt that you needed some 'flex' i your setup I would suggest using tarp tensioners on your tie outs and keeping your ridge line tight.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quite honestly I'm not really following your question, but hopefully this will help. Most of us have no give in the ridge line, many of us use zing-it or lash-it which has zero stretch vs your paracord. For shock/wind absorption tensioners are used on the tie outs. There are many versions using things like shock cord, rubber tubing and therabands. Something I have yet to try but that work in my head, is using an internal pole mod in an X configuration. It would seem like the bow of the poles would work to absorb much of the wind's forces. Hope my ramblings help.

Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I use a tight ridge line - an S-hook to attach at one end and the other end pulled tight with Figure 9's or a Trucker's Hitch. I am currently using UCR's instead of prussiks to attach the tarp to the ridge line. Not much (if any) give in that part of the pitch. I pull the tie-outs taut - not much give there either but obviously you can never get (nor would you want) a completely rigid setup.
    If you felt that you needed some 'flex' i your setup I would suggest using tarp tensioners on your tie outs and keeping your ridge line tight.
    Ok - see you're from the general area I am, I assume you probably deal with the winds we do around here as well.

You keep a taut ridge, just shock cord on tensioners? No problem with "thru gusts" (i.e. thru the open portion of the tarp - end to end)? Despite what you try to do, wind shifts around here quite a bit - so what once kept the wind out has now changed - so I'm just trying to cover the angles. I don't want the tarp ruined on the second outing kind of thing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Actually, I don't use guy line tensioners either. I keep thinking I will try them someday...from what I gather their main purpose is to take up the slack when your tarp fabric stretches when it gets wet. I haven't experienced that problem so haven't felt the need for them yet. Shifting winds can be dealt with to some degree if your tarp is large enough to close off one or both ends.
    Perhaps the open ends allow the wind to get thru without ripping the tarp from its moorings. I think that the sloping surfaces of a pitched tarp let the wind 'slip' past as well. No doubt the wind can test your equipment but mainly I just pitch it tight all around and 'hunker down'. So far, so good.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tundrwd View Post
    Ok - see you're from the general area I am, I assume you probably deal with the winds we do around here as well.

You keep a taut ridge, just shock cord on tensioners? No problem with "thru gusts" (i.e. thru the open portion of the tarp - end to end)? Despite what you try to do, wind shifts around here quite a bit - so what once kept the wind out has now changed - so I'm just trying to cover the angles. I don't want the tarp ruined on the second outing kind of thing.
    Pitch it tight and pitch it lower and you reduce the places that wind can grab the tarp. Site selection is key. If you have a tarp with doors, that can help prevent the wind tunnel.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think you get more support in high winds with a continuous ridge line, no?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts