Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???

Underquilt from a down blanket?

Hey guys,

I've been trying to work out some sort of bottom insulation, and while I know the pad is highly recommended, I just don't want to do it.

I was shopping today and stumbled on some thing that could be a find, maybe. I wanted all of your advice on it.
    I was at Shopko, cruising the clearance section of the store when I noticed some clearance bedding. Down, and Down alternative comforters!!

Is is a good idea? What would need to be done if this is a do-able option? My plan was to cover it with ripstop nylon, but do you think that would be enough to make it effective?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Old down comforter for me tho. I was going to use down only, I figured cotton would hold to much water, if it got rained on. Strap it to bottom with elastic cord.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Your usual problem is that the down in those quilt is low quality so you get a heavier quilt to do the same amount of insulating. They generally includes a lot more feathers. If it were not for backpacking I think it would be workable though.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    Your usual problem is that the down in those quilt is low quality so you get a heavier quilt to do the same amount of insulating. They generally includes a lot more feathers. If it were not for backpacking I think it would be workable though.
    I think that's right on the money. Unless you've got really rugged downproof fabric, all those feathers will be poking through and falling out. They do tend to use poor quality "down". If you can be sure (check the tag) that it's at the very least 650 fill power down then it might be worth it, 800 would be better.

Another option is to scour thrift shops looking for a used down sleeping bag. Find one of those and you're in business.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    Yeah, I'm quite certain that it was lower than 650 fill power down. I honestly can't remember right now though. Not sure it is worth going back to check on.

I've been through the thrift shops in town, several times. The only things I've seen were 2 very abused external frame packs that they wanted $50 for, each. If I did find something, the price would not reflect the quality of the item, from what I've seen so far.

I just don't have the $$ for a $300 underquilt, and I wouldn't be able to justify it even if I did. Perhaps I can convince my mother to assist me in making a synthetic one. That might be a lot to ask, since she's currently making me a quilt for my queen bed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by kykcamper View Post

I just don't have the $$ for a $300 underquilt, and I wouldn't be able to justify it even if I did. Perhaps I can convince my mother to assist me in making a synthetic one. That might be a lot to ask, since she's currently making me a quilt for my queen bed.
    If you can justify a 140 dollar down underquilt, you can get a kit from Thruhiker with some pretty good down and have your mother make that.

Or, you can get a Ray Way kit and she can make you a 3/4 underquilt, double over the synthetic insulation for something warmer than 30F. I've considered doing that myself, but I bought JRB quilts with my tax refund.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    If you can justify a 140 dollar down underquilt, you can get a kit from Thruhiker with some pretty good down and have your mother make that.

Or, you can get a Ray Way kit and she can make you a 3/4 underquilt, double over the synthetic insulation for something warmer than 30F. I've considered doing that myself, but I bought JRB quilts with my tax refund.
    If you are a summer hanger..... JRB Shenandoahs quilts (40*)are on sale below $150 this weekend....

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I've been toying with this idea and haven't quite figured it out yet. Don't do much distance packing, so maybe it will work for me.

I'm also thinking about using some fiber fill to make a lightweight summer one with WM clearance fabric. Looks like I can make it for about $20. If it won't work, it's good practice.

Jbo

Images

Diy

Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    I've been toying with this idea and haven't quite figured it out yet. Don't do much distance packing, so maybe it will work for me.

I'm also thinking about using some fiber fill to make a lightweight summer one with WM clearance fabric. Looks like I can make it for about $20. If it won't work, it's good practice.

Jbo
    i picked up some down sleeping bags at salvation army. about $15 each. worked OK as UQ , so i bought JRB. the Salvation Arny is a good source for clothing (convertible pants $3.50) and aluminum pots and cookie sheets for DIY projects.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    How about some of the wind proof fleece? I've wondered how that might work too. Bulky, I suppose, but other than that . . .

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast