Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Connecting a tarp directly to a webbing suspension?

I personally use a webbing and cinch buckle suspension and a separate continuous ridge line for my tarp, but I was wondering if there's a reasonable way of connecting a tarp directly to a webbing suspension. Hennessey setups for instance use prussiks to connect the ends of the rainfly to the hammock's cord suspension, but this wouldn't work very well on a webbing suspension.

Anyone ever do something similar but with a webbing suspension, maybe using some sort of buckle/slider?

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    I've played with those kind of setups but reverted to a "tarp up first" setup to keep my gear dry in the rain, giving me a shelter to put my hammock up under and stow my rucksack.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have played with this concept and abandoned it. I found it way too finicky. The tension on the tarp affects the sag on the hammock and vice versa. As mentioned, if it's raining when setting up or taking down, I want the tarp to be independent.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have been considering doing this for awhile now. I tried using loops of shock cord larks headed to the webbing - wouldn't hold without slipping. I tried weaving the webbing thru various types of plastic buckles and clasps. They break with an alarming sound as soon as weight is put on the hammock. I've decided that ENO Atlas straps (polyester) http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...ct/AST001.html would work but they are slightly heavier than the web and buckles I am currently using. MAD777's comments make me think that results would be unsatisfactory anyway. Maybe the problem of 'pitch and sag' could be improved by using tarp tensioners at all tie out points on the tarp.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    saw this relatively recent video about making the hennessy tarp no-sag, seems appropriate to the discussion: http://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/r...-hammock-tarp/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've never been a fan of having the two on the same suspension. I've always preferred modular set ups but that's just me. I like being able to set up the tarp first in bad weather. I also like a nice taut pitch to the tarp and find the movement of the hammock can interfere with it. Good luck finding the info you need. If you come up with or discover a good idea please share it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Another idea I had was punching a series of small holes in the webbing (like the holes in a belt) that a toggle could be inserted into for holding a tarp. But I suspect that may weaken the strap too much so I have not been willing to try it. Maybe a few small loops of paracord or similar sewn to the webbing for attaching the hammock - like a 'slapstrap'.
    But...it sounds like those who have tried it, by various methods, have not been satisfied with the results so for now that project is on the back burner.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    for my small silnylon tarp; I use lines that are tied to the webbing by way of klemheist knots, and tie the lines to the tarp corners with simple knots, since the silnylon tarp's ridge line is so short, it doesn't really change the sag or pitch if its on the hammock suspension. If I tied it to the loops of the tree hugger straps, I may not be able to get it low enough to the hammock to cover it. I have not found the sag/pitch to be a problem with the silnylon tarp on top of my hammock's webbing suspension.

EDIT: the lines also have shock cord tensioners.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    If you are using a biner or soft schakle to go connect the webbing back to itself around the tree just attach tarp ridge line directly to either the biner or schakle tension and go

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast