WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Beautiful in its simplicity, isn't it!

e_2 I musty admit I have no idea what you're talking about! :-) How could that possibly be a problem - you take the quiltlings in, provide for them with tender love and care, and then you will have a whole happy family of cozy quilts! Besides, so far at least my 1.7 layer hammock seems to have worked as a very effective contraception...

Hammock
    11" 1.1 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY 10X10
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    ..not quite as good as turkey stuffing, or at least good in another way.. Sorry, I digress (from my own point).

I spent some dead time at work scrolling through good old Hammockforums, and realised I didn't see anyone do what I do when breaking camp: I leave everything put together, meaning the hammock, the UQ, the top quilt inside, as well as my sleeping attire in a ridge line organiser. I zip up the bugnet (I have a WB XLC), unhook one of the whoopies from the toggle, then just walk along the hammock and stuff it all into an Exped waterproof compression sack (size L iirc), which has straps running across it and a vent at the bottom. I chose that stuff sack because I wanted a thin sausage rather than that fat ball you get with the straps that run lengthwise, as I believe it would be easier to fit in the pack or strap to the outside if needed.

When unpacking, the whoopee of one end is on top, I hang that on the toggle and walk towards the other, letting the entire package out.

Now, HYOH and all that, but since I didn't see anyone doing it I wonder if there's something adverse that I'm missing with this approach? I think it works really great, but perhaps there's a situation I haven't encountered yet where doing this would spoil my trip? My hammock package never needs to touch the ground, I don't have to spend time packing separate items into separate stuff sacks, and setting up takes all of 30 seconds. The only things separate are my tree huggers, toggles and stakes. Obviously the tarp as well as it may be wet.

Yeah, I have too much time on my hands today, asking if there's potentially anything wrong with a well-functioning approach!
    Don't know why i did not think of that. I usually take it all apart and stuff piece by piece into pack. Going to try stuffing it all together this weekend.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I got the Lazy Slug Tube - in Large, I believe - and it is huge. I had everything except the tarp in it. I'm sure the kitchen sink was in there as well. Great for throwing in the back of the car but too bulky for a pack. Maybe I should have got the smaller size.

Which color of the Exped bag do you use? I got them based on someone else's recommendation but haven't used for this yet. the colors I have are Yellow, blue, and terra cotta.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I designed a pack based on the concept.

HF thread here.

In winter, the hammock with UQ, etc gets stuff in the back pocket, and the TQ goes in the side pocket. In summer, the hammock goes in the side pocket. and the back pocket is used for extra gear.

Hammock
    Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I like to pack everything separate. I guess my CDO kicks in and I want everything in it's own bag/pouch, no matter how much extra time i have to spend setting up or taking down.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I do it exactly as the OP posted. Works great, even with my separate bug net attached.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    I got the Lazy Slug Tube - in Large, I believe - and it is huge. I had everything except the tarp in it. I'm sure the kitchen sink was in there as well. Great for throwing in the back of the car but too bulky for a pack. Maybe I should have got the smaller size.

Which color of the Exped bag do you use? I got them based on someone else's recommendation but haven't used for this yet. the colors I have are Yellow, blue, and terra cotta.
    I have the large exped bag iirc. I tried with the medium, and it worked, but it was really hard and took longer, so I went up one size instead for ease of stuffing and tehn compressing it. The colours are dark brown and light beige I think. I got the ones with straps running across the bag, compressing it to a thin but long sausage, not the ones that run lengthwise that makes it into a huge football.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post

HF thread here.

In winter, the hammock with UQ, etc gets stuff in the back pocket, and the TQ goes in the side pocket. In summer, the hammock goes in the side pocket. and the back pocket is used for extra gear.
    That looks like an interesting concept! I'd like the roll-top principle, I just don't trust zippers for real waterprrofness, but in general I'm going to look into that harder. Thanks!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    That looks like an interesting concept! I'd like the roll-top principle, I just don't trust zippers for real waterprrofness, but in general I'm going to look into that harder. Thanks!

Those zippers are truly waterproof. I'd trust them enough to use the empty pack as a life preserver.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post

HF thread here.

I was trying to access the forum thread, but get an error about not having permissions... anyone else have problems with the link?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast