Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

initial sewing machine (or thread injector)

I would like to get started with some DIY projects, but I don't have a sewing machine. I don't really know what I'm doing either, so I don't want to spend a lot of money just yet. What are some things I should look for in a machine? Would a cheap Walmart one do alright? Any suggestions on where else I should look would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ihavea4; 05-14-2014 at 11:50. Reason: Grammar fail.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    jarbridge/diy uq
    Suspension
    Webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I would start basic, I have an older sears brand machine that works great for almost anything and the best thing about it is that I only paid $10.00 for it at the Goodwill store! I recommend you check out resale shops like Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift stores, I see sewing machines ...er..um, I mean thread injectors there all the time. I see no need to spend a bunch of money on your first machine...you may not like sewing, it can be tedious work.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Have you tried searching here at HF ('sewing machine') ? You'll find some discussions that might help.

Also, check out the 'Show Thread Injector' discussion (long) which has lots of examples of machines and discussions about them.

There are a lot of 'old machine fans' here at HF, so you'll get a lot of recommendations for machines that are 60-70+ years old....
    Do want a machine that runs perfectly right away, or a fix-up (cleaning and oiling, new belt, etc.) machine?

My advice:
    I'd recommend hunting down a reliable sewing machine shop that sells used machines. Anything that works and has a (probably short, if used machine) warranty will do for gear building. Some sewing shops offer (free) sewing lessons and you should definitely expect 20 min or so of basic instruction if you purchase when the shop isn't too busy. After that, it's YouTube and here at HF in the DIY section!

I'd avoid the (new, throwaway) $125 and under, 'big box' machines, though one of those would probably work fine unless you are trying to sew through layers of webbing.

BTW, your questions will get more respect if you use the 'Shift' aka 'Caps' button when appropriate.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Many folks here suggests buying an old used machine either on Craigslist or machine shop. Many of these look like works of antique art. But beware some of them need work. So that depends on your expertise. I started out the same way as you, doubtful that I would not continue, so I bought the cheapest Brother machine from Walmart. That was a good six or seven years ago and it still going strong! I spent 80 bucks.
    Last edited by MAD777; 05-14-2014 at 11:39.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    I'm part of the "used old machine" crowd I guess. Started on a 1936 Singer. Just had it tuned up for about $100 and it should last for many many more years. Doesn't even have reverse, but I love the simplicity and reliability of it and it handles everything I have put under it so far.
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    An older thrift store machine is a good way to go but it can be it or miss if you are not familiar with machines. Might help to shop with someone who can tell you if the machine is in working order. I've bought many machines from $15 to $35 at my local Value Village and they all needed some cleaning and oiling but nothing major and they all work very well. They will last a long time if taken care of.

New machines have plastic parts and/or electronics that make them difficult to repair. I saw a consumer report video a while back showing that some newer machines are even being made without a metal frame. Older all metal machines are easier to maintain, hard to break and often are only neglected and may only be missing a small part available at a local sewing shop. Ask around your family and friends as well because there is a good chance a machine is collecting dust in an attic or basement somewhere.

HF member Ramblinrev has some tips that are helpful when looking for a machine. There are plenty of youtube instructionals to get you sewing in no time.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY/Blackbird XLC (soon)
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    HammockGear/Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I did try searching the forums, but I guess I just didn't do something right. After looking through a few pages of the "Show us your thread injector" I did see a lot about older machines, but not much about where to get a decent one starting out. I didn't think about Goodwill or Salvation Army, I'll definitely have to look around for one of those. Thanks for the tips guys, and sorry if this has been discussed before, I just didn't see any threads about it when I looked.

(As for my grammar and caps, I sometimes just type without bothering to capitalize anything, apologies. I hate when other people have bad grammar or punctuation, so I guess I should make an effort too... )

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You might take a look at my "Guidelines" thread in my sig. Others seem to have found it helpful.

The old machine vs new machine divide is somewhat artificial IMO. It depends on what you are wanting to do. For gear making and machine will do anything you want to do. The older machines are fine and dandy. Solid workmanship and built to last. If you want to get into more advanced sewing then the old machines will be an obstacle with some of the new technical fabrics. It's tough to make a lycra jumpsuit on a 70 year old machine. So my advice is as follows... For just gear making, follow the old machines. They have what you need and not 312,560 decorative stitches you will never ever use. For advanced sewing, buy the _best_ new machine you can afford. There new basic stitches for stretch and technical fabrics that will worth the effort.

The cheapo stuff.... well... For me it is hit or miss. Some are ok. Some are "Friday afternoon" machines. (Put together on Friday afternoon when every one is watching the clock for the weekend to start instead of watching what they are doing.)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tablecloth
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for starting this thread. I'm another newbie who must have made some of the same mistakes and didn't come up with much for where to locate old machines. This has been very helpful. Thank you!
    Robin

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    The old machine vs new machine divide is somewhat artificial IMO. It depends on what you are wanting to do. For gear making and machine will do anything you want to do. The older machines are fine and dandy.
    Humans are very adaptable; lots of gear is made (well) with 'antique' machines.
    Personally, a machine that won't reverse (lock stitch;turn the workpiece around....I don't think I'll be doing that...) is not something I'd ever use. Same with zig-zag. Once I got used to having those things, I wasn't going backward...
    So that left only about a zillion choices of machines on the used market to look at!

Unfortunately a lot of the new machines combine poor quality mechanicals with a lot of unnecessary (for guy gear) electronics and decorative stitches. But, in 1970 dollars, a cheap machine nowadays is under $10, so not a whole lot to lose, I suppose. I just don't like 'throwaway' tools.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast