Hello! Noob-to-be questions

Hello all. I am new to the forum, obviously, and am thinking of getting a hammock as my primary sleeping system as I re-enter the world of backpacking. I day hike regularly but am thinking of adding overnights after a 4-5 year hiatus. I'd like some suggestions, both general and specific, about what kind of hammock to get. A few particulars about me:
    I'm about "Average" sized, 5'11" 185 pounds.

I have a cranky knee, even after two surgeries, and am facing knee replacement in the next few years. hiking poles and keeping things light helps. After a night on the ground it just hurts.

My overnights will be summer, short, and close, I imagine. GSMNP, Big South Fork, Cumberland Trail, Cumberland Gap, etc.

Bugs and weather are my two biggest concerns; I doubt I will do much winter camping, though you never know.

I like the idea of the bottom entrance of the Hennessys, though I have never tried any sleeping hammock.

I am a mostly side sleeper at home, though some on my back. I often put a pillow between my legs, esp. if my knee is hurting.

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I find the bottom entry helps me keep pressure to my knees at a minimum. I can assist myself getting out with my arms meaning the range of motion on my knee is taking less stress than if I had to transfer all my weight on just that joint. I have embraced the HH as the hammock of choice for that reason. I do not have replacement issues, I have other mobility problems but the thrust of the matter is I lack the strength in my knees to carry through without arm assistance. Once I am up I can walk reasonably well for up to three miles. At that point I fall over. Not a pretty sight.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Hennessy is a great hammock and I bet you would be pleased with it. Plus, it comes all ready to go, tarp included. I have one and love it. You sleep corner to corner (a-sym) in it for a nice flat lay.

Another one to check out is the Warbonnet Blackbird (keep in mind you'll need to purchase a tarp somewhere to go with it - which can be a plus because it gives you more options). Word is the Blackbird is nice and spacious, and you can get a pretty flat lay for side/back sleeping as well.

Both of those come standard with bug netting.

Sure there are plenty more options, take a gander at the Gear Manufacturers sub-forum a little further down the main page.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Hennessy is a great hammock and I bet you would be pleased with it. Plus, it comes all ready to go, tarp included. I have one and love it. You sleep corner to corner (a-sym) in it for a nice flat lay.

Another one to check out is the Warbonnet Blackbird (keep in mind you'll need to purchase a tarp somewhere to go with it - which can be a plus because it gives you more options). Word is the Blackbird is nice and spacious, and you can get a pretty flat lay for side/back sleeping as well.

Both of those come standard with bug netting.

Sure there are plenty more options, take a gander at the Gear Manufacturers sub-forum a little further down the main page.
    For clarification... the Warbonnet Blackbird is supposed to be an excellent hammock. However, I have found I can not manage the stress on my knees getting out of any side or top loader. In that respect the HH is unique. Something to consider when mobility issues are involved. It would best if you could try before you buy. Barring that... make a cheap test hammock and see if you can get out without additional stress on your knees. If so... you will expand your options exponentially. If not... HH is the way to go IMO.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Another (of soon to be many) who will give a shout-out for the Blackbirds. I too have gloriously useless knees. Left one has been under the knife twice and the right one once; I could start a whole new thread about broken bones and surgeries.

For me, the act of sleeping in a hammock for the most part took care of my knees. They mostly work these days! I have not had any problems getting into, or out of, a top/side loader. However, I can certainly see where a bottom entry could be of use in that regard. It would be exceptionally useful with a back problem.

But, Rev is right. Try to find one, or two, to try out. That should answer any questions you have and get you going down the right path from the get-go.

Welcome to the forum!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Check out this thread for some ideas on your first setup.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I could start a whole new thread about broken bones and surgeries. [/B]
    Sounds like a good idea. You could make it a contest to see who is the most broken down hammock camper and award a trophy. But, it just might devolve into health issues and medication talk like at my folk's retirement community in Florida.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

• + New Posts