Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

dimensions for an UQ

I am making Underquilts using down coats, and the whole thing goes together like a jigsaw. I have more jackets to use, but want to be as efficient as possible with where I put the warmth, so to speak. I don't have much experience with UQ's. By going for full length, that means not as much for extra layers on this quilt. Does the UQ ever come above my shoulders, covering my head, and if so, is this warmer? Or, do I always keep it on the shoulders, less I am venting it? If it never goes above my shoulders, I don't see the need to make this too long. I am 5'11" and the lady of the house is 5'6", maybe? She innately feels that full length is the way to go because she looks at the short ones and can't imagine how they keep warm. I suspect that using more layers from the shoulders to halfway down the leg, using the layers that would normally go to the bottom of the quilt past the feet on the upper area, would be a more effective use of warmth. Of course, my method has a cut pad in mind for the feet. As I mentioned, I have more jackets to use, but there is still a finite amount in the end, and I want to maximize their usage (UQ's for us both, extra linings to get to lower temps, and a TQ or two if possible).
    Think of it this way, is it better to have a full length quilt of coats using one layer with an extra liner (or half liner), or is it better to have a 3/4 quilt with two layers with an extra 3rd liner (or half liner)?

I'll post some pics of layouts in full length for you guys to get a idea what I'm talking about
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    My thoughts may not totally address your DIY questions but here goes:

How heavy do you want it? How bulky? Do you want to add gear/clothes to supplement - and perhaps have the versatility?

Full length can (and should be, in my opinion) just that - full length for the user. That's easier for us shorter folks (I'm 5'5", 145lbs). It will cover the extremes on both sides - head and feet, or mostly.

I recently acquired a 3/4 length Greylock4 that I've experimented with at home and I'm completely confident that when I get it out to use, it'll keep me toasty. I wear hats anyway (shaved head) and don't mind a small sit pad for added feet insulation, as I like the pad for its versatility around camp. The 3/4 seems easy to vent; was instant setup for me and it's easily adjusted because I can reach both ends from within the hammock.

If your wife is a cold sleeper a full length may be good, especially if she's convinced that she needs it. Do ask about, or look for, the challenges with full length quilt adjustment/setup versus 3/4 length. Some are setup quickly, while others seem to have a bit more trouble dialing-in the full length (but that's my recollection this morning - before 6am and only a half cup of coffee thus far!). Your mileage will certainly vary with your custom DIY approach.

What climates do you frequently find yourself in? The temperature ranges may help in the decision making process. ....of course, you should just find more jackets and make both.
    Last edited by AaronMB; 05-15-2014 at 08:07.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    My thoughts may not totally address your DIY questions but here goes:

How heavy do you want it? How bulky? Do you want to add gear/clothes to supplement - and perhaps have the versatility?

Full length can (and should be, in my opinion) just that - full length for the user. That's easier for us shorter folks (I'm 5'5", 145lbs). It will cover the extremes on both sides - head and feet, or mostly.

I recently acquired a 3/4 length Greylock4 that I've experimented with at home and I'm completely confident that when I get it out to use, it'll keep me toasty. I wear hats anyway (shaved head) and don't mind a small sit pad for added feet insulation, as I like the pad for its versatility around camp. The 3/4 seems easy to vent; was instant setup for me and it's easily adjusted because I can reach both ends from within the hammock.

If your wife is a cold sleeper a full length may be good, especially if she's convinced that she needs it. Do ask about, or look for, the challenges with full length quilt adjustment/setup versus 3/4 length. Some are setup quickly, while others seem to have a bit more trouble dialing-in the full length (but that's my recollection this morning - before 6am and only a half cup of coffee thus far!). Your mileage will certainly vary with your custom DIY approach.

What climates do you frequently find yourself in? The temperature ranges may help in the decision making process. ....of course, you should just find more jackets and make both.
    If I could get more jackets, I would, but I think that JCP ship has sailed. I got these back in october or september, and even then, I think I lucked out. They didn't seem to have these all winter, so finding them in the spring or summer will probably be almost impossible
    However, I got nine jackets, so I should have enough for some good projects, but I want to stretch them as far as I can. Hence the putting the down where it matters.
    I never knew that full length was harder to dial in. I kinda assumed it was easier because of full coverage. But I have no experience with UQ's except for one night at a group hang where I borrowed another member's extra, so what do I know.
    I also didn't know that the full length covers the head because I thought the shoulders help create that seal, but I guess it can be done above the head too.
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts