Not sure yet!
    Tarp
    Working on it
    Insulation
    Something Warm
    Suspension
    Still learning

Northwest Hammock Hang 1 -- The Choo-Choo Challenge

Alright folks, here's the plan. Mr Tuniq and I are planning our first hang and we're going BIG. Both of us are experienced outdoorsmen, one of us (Mr T) a serious paddler and the other a jack-of-all-trades, master at none.

Tuniq and I were both Air Cadet's together as teens and have been buddy's for a long time. Since we haven't seen each other in a year or so AND are both new to hanging we've developed the NWHH-CCC. You may be wondering what the CCC part is... Well... We're forgoing the traditional drive to the trailhead.... That's right, we're taking a train.

The Via Rail Lake Superior to be exact. Yes, we are hanging in Northwestern Ontario, between White River and Sudbury. We have plotted a few potential spots along this very flexible train route (they let you off at any mile marker you choose) and it has long been popular with hunters and paddlers alike as there are no roads to the majority of the route.

One potential spot is a VERY short 500m hike to a beach that know one would know even existed unless they had satellite photos. It is on Dog Lake and looks beautiful from above. Thank god for Google Earth! After plotting the train route in Google Earth, I scouted for potential areas as there aren't many hiking trails back there, mostly water routes. We weren't sure of the expenses of taking kayaks on the train so we decided on a hike. Poor Tuniq. :P I compared it with Topo maps and found that the grade is quite hikable although the bush might be very dense.

The second spot has been done by a group before, it is very close to Pogomasing Ontario, and is about 5km in on an unnamed lake. With the help of one of the group that has done the hike (by scouring google and sending out loads of emails until finally I found someone with experience in the area). It is more rocky and the bushline carries towards the lake but it is a more involved hike. We decided to keep the hike short as the camping was the focus of the trip.

We are also taking new liberties with our types of gear, including homemade stoves, and other techniques neither of us have used in the past. I for one am not using a sleeping bag, I plan on blanketing in my hammock.

Currently it is just the two of us going, but if there are any hangers that would like to join, give either of us a message or post in this thread, and we will be updating with dates and exact locations once the planning stage has been completed. Anyone from Minnesota that can get to Thunder Bay can probably get a ride with Steve (to the train station in White River) and others can meet me in Sudbury if they would like.

Brian

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a really cool trip idea. There aren't many who can say I got dropped off by a train in the middle of the wilderness to do some hanging ;-). When you planning on going?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I love the idea of the train stopping to let you off where you want . Don't forget your map and compass if your bushwhacking. For your own information maybe you should ask what exactly the costs are of taking the kayaks so you'll know for another time. Sounds like a good time.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Wow! How cool is that! How do you get picked up?
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Wow! How cool is that! How do you get picked up?
    I would think if the train will drop you off at any mile marker you want, being picked up should work the same.

I checked the Via rail website and there are many stops along the route, so if you weren't too far from one of these places catching the train wouldn't be a problem. The train only runs 3 times a week (Tues, Thurs and Sat, IIRC).

Sound like a great option for getting out to the middle of nowhere.

Here is some information on the baggage charges.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts