Going off trail in Charles Deem Wilderness

I've spent some time hiking and camping in the Charles Deem Wilderness. However, I've always wound up staying at the primitive camp sites. This weekend, I'd prefer to get off trail and camp somewhere more secluded. Ideally, I'd like enough hiking to keep me busy for two days, so some sort of loop would be great. Does anybody have any favorite off-trail hikes or camping spots?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yes! I've only camped at "hard to reach" secluded spots here...well, 99% of the time. I like to pull up bing maps and use the "birds eye" view to scope out little pockets of the pines to camp in. Take the penninsula trail and get up high on some spots around the ponds (pretty nasty even for filtering). Sorry nothing real specific, but it definitely pays to get off the trail!

Unfortunatley, the grubb and penninsula trail is usually a mud and poop slip-and-slide. Horses completely destroy it then the rain turns it into a messy slurry. I've been focusing more on the Sycamore loop lately as it's foot traffic only.

Not a bad tip, Mark, provided you've got satellite imagery from the months with tree cover (for those of us in mainly deciduous areas). Gonna borrow that tip!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Labanauskas View Post
    Not a bad tip, Mark, provided you've got satellite imagery from the months with tree cover (for those of us in mainly deciduous areas). Gonna borrow that tip!
    It's actually great in this area, it looks like april to me...almost no green except the pines. Now if they update it...who knows. Google maps seems to be in the dead of summer, so it doesn't offer much other than a green blob

Thanks markr6. I didn't even think about pulling up satellite imagery to plan my route. That tip is definitely going to come in handy.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The Birds Eye view in Bing has been a huge help. In the past I've used the basic satellite view and once I got to my spot, it was totally different than I expected (could be a good or bad thing). Even now I'd say it's a 50/50 chance once I get there. I find it fun to just wander and find new spots without doing any planning too.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hybrid/varies
    Google Earth is good for this too. I usually plan my off-trail routes in Bascamp and then view the route in Google Earth (View menu > Google Earth in Basecamp). This lets me plan on a topo and then verify the ground cover and see what the route looks like in 3D. Then I go back to Basecamp to make adjustments and repeat until I'm happy. Then transfer the route to my GPS, print some map pages for backup, and go hiking.
    "Every human being holds something holy. We can all have some respect for that." - Omar Marzouk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I use Gaia app on my iPhone. It's AWESOME! I can download the maps ahead of time (TOPO, USGS, GOOGLE, etc) and it stores them on my phone, so it uses NO data/less battery/no cell signal. Definitley worth $8 or whatever it costs now.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Both Peninsulas offer plenty of off trail hiking and camping. In fact in most cases, as a hiker, you're much better off, off trail, due to the MU status of much of the Deam. Even Nebo, is much more enjoyable used to get to where you want to explore off the trail, than as a thru, these days.

GPS is sweet for finding the places you think you want to get to. Just don't become too dependent on them, leave your map and compass at home, or forget a back up battery
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts