Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!

Foothills Trail

Anyone hike the "Foothills Trail" in North/South Carolina?? Looking for reviews.

KMACK

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    Anyone hike the "Foothills Trail" in North/South Carolina?? Looking for reviews.

KMACK
    I hiked it in two sections.

Trip report 1.

Trip report 2.

My Foothills Trail Journal.

It's a nice trail. I would recommend hiking it in cooler weather. Spring Break would be nice simply because it's not too cold or hot.

Waterfalls are the main attraction. The eastern area at Table Rock provides some good views and sustained climbs.

The western section is pretty mellow with a nice river walk along the Chattooga. You get some decent views if the foliage is down (another vote for late March hiking). You could easily dayhike the western 30 miles.

The middle 30 miles are not terribly strenuous once you get away from the rocky area within a mile of Whitewater Falls. Lots of suspension bridges.

Overall a neat hike and quite different from most others in the southern Appalachians which focus on climbing a ridge and staying up there, going from spring to spring for water. Lots of spots to soak feet. If you do hike it in warmer weather, at least you'll have lots of places to swim or otherwise cool off outside the 16 miles from Table Rock.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - definitely recommend the FT. July might not be the best time b/c of heat and the 'green tunnel' effect of the foliage, but like Bearpaw says at least you'll have lots of good places to soak. I did it in the late spring and there were already views I couldn't see...still an awesome trip though. I bet the fall colors would be another good time to hike.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

FT

one of my techs in the hospital is doing the FT in 2 weeks (hot hot hot)....I am paddling over from Devils Fork SP to resupply him at the Toxaway bridge crossing thinking having to carry less food might help him in the heat.....plus it gives me an excuse to do some paddle camping on the lake....probably stealthing it because I only know of one 'official' site on the lake. I agree with the other posters. If I were hiking this trail it would be early or late in the year.

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    Thanks for the info! My in-laws live in Seneca SC, just minutes away from the trail and I (family) drive down once a year. We just returned two days ago. HOT!!! 100 degrees on one day. Maybe I'll push for an April visit next year and get out for an over nighter! Thanks again!

KMACK

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here is a link to a journal I like to read.
    http://hikecarolina.tripod.com/index.htm

Here is a link to one of my trips.
    http://www.yourhikes.com/TripPages/V...spx?TripID=300

I've hiked it in May and Oct, loved both of them but the rhododendrons were in bloom in May and the weather was perfect.

If you just want an overnighter, I would suggest parking at Burrell's Ford Campground and hike north along the Chatooga River.
    In one hour, you'll pass 8 or so really nice campsites right on the river as well as Spoonauger Falls.
    My trip report above is coming in from the other direction.
    It's a beautiful section and not far from Seneca.
    Last edited by swampfox; 07-03-2009 at 19:12.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Medicineman,
    You will pass an official campsite on the right as you head up the finger toward Toxaway Bridge and there are a couple of unofficial campsites on the left.
    You could also paddle over to Laurel Fork Falls. There are three campsites at the top of the falls, about a 20 minute hike from the lake. I've boated in there to meet up with ground dwellers hiking in from the east.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Those sites above Laurel Fork Falls looked awesome, too. I would have stopped there for the day but it was lunchtime and I didn't want to quit walking so early.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It's hard to beat relaxing in a hammock next to running water. Stresses of life just go away...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast