Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie

Hi From IA - totally sold on hangin to sleep - tired of an aching shoulder

Hello everyone,

A bit about myself. Avid outdoorsman, traditional archery, Fly fishing, camping etc. I am also an Amateur Radio Operator and would like to eventually go on a DXpedition some time.
    I was sold on backpacking as light as possible without losing too much in the way of comfort by my own (not really bad, but not really good) experiences.

I have camped and back packed before on several occasions but not on long durations (greater than 2 days). I grew up at the base of the Kittatinny Mountains on the AT in Stillwater NJ. I have hiked lots of miles in the Walpack area and Van campen Glen - DWGRA as my grandfather and grandmother were raised there in Millbrook Village. i have hiked the Independence pass in Colorado and Grizzly Creek and some float trips and trout fishing bug outs in the upper midwest. But it wasnt untill after a do it yourself Elk hunt for 7 days with 60lbs on my back, that I decided that I would invest in lightening the load.

Another factor is I am creeping up on the 50 year mark and Im slowing down a bit.
    The lighter weight would help with some physical conditions I live with. I was born with Spina Biffita Aculta so I have a very hard time sleeping comfortably. When i hit the sweet spot I can go out like a light, but anything other than the sweet spot and I am uncomfortable and awake tossing and turning propping stuff under my back to give support and reduce the pain. I also had a very traumatic posterior dislocation of my left shoulder and have never had the needed surgery to repair that mess, so long story short I am very uncomfortable on the hard ground and am very excited to read about everyone's experiences hanging and I can only hope investing in a WBBB is going to be as good as I am imagining.

My core equipment consists of
    Kifaru KU 3700 backpack - 2lbs 9oz
    Emberlit UL titanium stove - 5.4oz - adding the fireant as a replacement which is only 2.8oz
    trangia alchohol backup stove - 4.2 oz
    MSR carbon reflex 2 tent - 3lb 4oz- soon to be replaced with the WBBB XLC
    Western Mountaineering megalite Sleeping bag - 1lb 8 oz
    Halulite microdualist cook gear - 1lb 6 oz
    Halulite tea kettle - 5.8oz
    2L platypus water bladder - 7.7 oz
    Renvovo Trio water tratment - 3.5 oz

Eric - N9BOW
    Last edited by eproshuto; 05-15-2014 at 16:46. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome to the forums. You will find lots of good info. and people here.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    Glad to hear from you. I got interested primarily for elk hunting as well, but I have enjoyed it. I'll be taking it this weekend on a little spring bear/ scouting jaunt even though I have an entire extra mule with me for gear. I'll probably take a tent with titanium stove (kifaru style) but ill bring a hammock and tarp for sleep. Also interested and inspired by your medical condition. My four year old daughter has scoliosis as a result of a chiari malformation ( the chiari was successfully operated on last summer but the scoliosis will present an ongoing challenge) but I sure like to envision her being able to participate in the things I love to do.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Welcome to the forums. You will find lots of good info. and people here.
    Thanks for the welcome! I am already spending many hours reading and researching this fantastic trove of information!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmuddy View Post
    Glad to hear from you. I got interested primarily for elk hunting as well, but I have enjoyed it. I'll be taking it this weekend on a little spring bear/ scouting jaunt even though I have an entire extra mule with me for gear. I'll probably take a tent with titanium stove (kifaru style) but ill bring a hammock and tarp for sleep. Also interested and inspired by your medical condition. My four year old daughter has scoliosis as a result of a chiari malformation ( the chiari was successfully operated on last summer but the scoliosis will present an ongoing challenge) but I sure like to envision her being able to participate in the things I love to do.
    Hi BigMuddy Good luck on your scouting trip! I had many great memories with my Dad on scouting trips as a kid on the Delaware River and up to Hawks Nest. Medical breakthroughs are happening so fast now. I had a friend in HS who had scoliosis in elementary school and wore the brace and she ended up being a valuable member of the swim team and that was over 30 years ago. Thanks for the welcome! hope to see you on the trail some day. In the mean time see you on the forum.

• + New Posts