Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

New DIY UQ!... Almost

We have been working on an UQ from JCP down coats and let me tell you, this has been an adventure. Like all adventures, there have been moments of triumphs and moments of despair or fatigue, but it is looking like the glorious end is near. This is the first real sewing job (and ripping for that matter) that we have undertaken. I still am an amateur at the se... thread injector, but I am not afraid of it anymore and feel I get a little steadier with each stitch... but just a little. This is the first layer, but the idea is to add more, interchangeable layers, with different dimensions, making it versatile for different seasons. The layers will be held by omnitape, and I think they may be functional quilts on their own as well. The last things to do on this quilt will be to add the draft tubes (collar pieces seen in first pic), clean the tapers up, trim or sew up the top pieces, and gross grain around this baby and string her up!!! I am also thinking of pinning the very tops of the neck hole part, back on the quilt to give more to the draft tube action. This will square off the top and bottom as well.
    We also have an idea of sewing the top shoulder pieces up almost like a footbox. This will give the top an instant-canoed shape, already hugging the hammock.
    My two fears about this are:
    1, Will this make it much tougher to sew the gross grain on the top portion? (I’m ready to be done the real hurdles and I want to keep it pretty)
    2. Will this create a gap under the shoulders because when cinched, there is excess room below?
    If this works, it could be very good though. The reality of this move could be the opposite of concern number 2. It could keep it on the body that much better and require less cinching (less down crushing and air gaps) to be tightened up. If we don't do this, I will simply clean up that top little triangle piece so I can get a straight edge going against the top.
    Here are pics of the UQ so far, and that shoulder corner I am talking about. If you have any thoughts, please let me know

layout pic IMG_4836.jpg sewn up pic IMG_4848.jpg
    shoulder piece not sewn together IMG_4855.jpg pinched shoulder piece to give you an idea of effect IMG_4858.jpg
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Here is a better layout pic so you know what I am planning to do with the top and bottom

IMG_4839.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Do you think JCP will still let me return this, since the tag is still on it

Attachment 85954

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Don't see why not. All the pieces are there.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

• + New Posts