Tarp
    Bushcraft USA Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps

Trip Location Suggestions

Hello guys and gals,
    I am looking for some advice for a trip location for my daughter and I for this summer. I would like to make two different trips after she gets out of school. I would like to take a 10-12 mile section of the AT (or something similar) and break it up over 3 days. Something that has lots of interesting and fun things for my daughter. I was thinking the section with the ponies ( I forget the name) or maybe Crab Tree Falls. I also would like to take a second trip and this is the one I really need advice on to a nice lake with primitive camping, some where we can hang our hammock away from others, swim in the lake/river, canoe, fish, etc more of a laid back trip. I would love to hear some suggestions. Just FYI my daughter is six and loves camping/outdoor/bushcraft activites. I want to keep the fun alive. Thanks for the help.
    Joe

Hammock
    DD Camping
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    TAR Prolite 3/4
    Suspension
    S, DC, MSH, W, DR
    Being European, I can't help with location, but I just wanted to say that I think it's awesome you're doing this with your kid!

Wish we had a 'section with the ponies' somewhere here in the Netherlands to take my 4yo son to :-)
    Still getting the hang of it

Hammock
    DIY 132"x60"
    Tarp
    Bushcraft USA Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Thanks so much, she loves the outdoors and I think doing these things gives her a lot of confidence. We when for a 3-4 mile hike yesterday, no real plans, just out for a walk. I went barefoot, because that is something I am learning about, and we bushwacked for a while off the trail where she spooked a big black snake. When we were done at home I asked her if she had fun and she said she loved going off the trail and finding the snake. Then she said "but next time can I go barefoot?" So next weekend we will be back for her first try at barefooting. I took her to Disney a couple of years ago and then in the summer we went camping for 3 days. She talks way more about the camping trip than Disney.
    Joe

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Grayson highlands is the place with ponies.
    Nice options there.
    You just have to watch the forecast, it can turn from nice to cold/windy/rainy quickly.

Well, I re-read your post & sounds like you really need more help on your second trip on a lake/river. I've got nothing for ya there.
    Enjoy the trip with your daughter. Special times.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    12 miles in 3-4 days sounds like something I could manage! Kudos to you

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    So you're going to have to do some searching and I'm hoping someone here knows the answer but years ago I went camping in TN and we spent the weekend on an island. It's on a lake that is the reservoir for a nuclear power plant. The island had a restroom/shelter but was otherwise primitive and we accessed it via canoe. We fished, explored, swam and had the place to ourselves. I took a look at the TVA camping information but couldn't find mention of it.

Keep up the good work, you are doing something priceless with your kid.
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Grayson Highlands State Park is a great place! Another is Sky Meadow (though that may be in MD?). Don't forget Shenandoah National Park. Yes, it has the AT, but also a lot of "side" trails, waterfalls, primitive camping, etc. I think the Tuscarora Trail is in there somewhere, and primitive?

I have three daughters, though the youngest is out of college now. We have all hiked together, as a family or as two-somes. So rewarding to hike with daughters! Enjoy while you can.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY 132"x60"
    Tarp
    Bushcraft USA Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreg.scout View Post
    So you're going to have to do some searching and I'm hoping someone here knows the answer but years ago I went camping in TN and we spent the weekend on an island. It's on a lake that is the reservoir for a nuclear power plant. The island had a restroom/shelter but was otherwise primitive and we accessed it via canoe. We fished, explored, swam and had the place to ourselves. I took a look at the TVA camping information but couldn't find mention of it.

Keep up the good work, you are doing something priceless with your kid.

I'll look into it, sounds cool.
    Thanks
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY 132"x60"
    Tarp
    Bushcraft USA Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Grayson Highlands State Park is a great place! Another is Sky Meadow (though that may be in MD?). Don't forget Shenandoah National Park. Yes, it has the AT, but also a lot of "side" trails, waterfalls, primitive camping, etc. I think the Tuscarora Trail is in there somewhere, and primitive?

I have three daughters, though the youngest is out of college now. We have all hiked together, as a family or as two-somes. So rewarding to hike with daughters! Enjoy while you can.

Rain Man

Thanks for the suggestions, I am really looking forward to getting out there.
    Thanks
    Joe

• + New Posts