Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

First Pass... $9.54

So, last weekend i was sitting on the back porch eating dinner, and my wife and I were talking about upcoming annual weekend kayak trip i take with some college buddies. She was complaining about how every year i go and spend way too much money on the trip. I told her, "Honey, i was in Gander Mountain looking around, and i couldn't find any camping stuff i really wanted to get." About that point, i looked down in the yard and saw her hammock. There, i got the idea of about how much more comfortable i'd be sleeping on that than in a tent. I told her i changed my mind, i want a hammock. Her response was Great, how much is that going to cost? I had no idea, and took to the internet. After looking at several websites selling them for anywhere between $50 and $500, I came across this site and decided building my own was the way i wanted to go. This morning, i ran down to Wal-mart and picked up some fabric, not entirely sure if it's nylon or polyester yet, it was in the $1.50/yd pile and said "unknown origin". Then i asked mom if i could borrow her sewing machine for a while. Used to these type of seemingly random requests, and based on the fact that she hasn't used it for at least 8 years, she gave it to me without asking any questions. Turns out its feed dogs are worn completely smooth though, and won't feed fabric through very well. So, until i can run out and get replacements, I can't sew. But, being impatient as I am i just tied two knots in the ends, then strung it up with some tie downs. It's not pretty, but i laid in it, and it's way more comfortable than i've ever been in a tent. I can't wait to get into it more. Thanks to all for the inspiration.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Yahoo! Welcome to the club!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackyb88 View Post
    Turns out its feed dogs are worn completely smooth though, and won't feed fabric through very well. So, until i can run out and get replacements, I can't sew.
    I don't know what the machine is... but strange as it may seem I have seen a few machines with "smooth" feed dogs. The Singer Athena is one of these. So... before you run yourself ragged looking for replacement feed dogs... make sure they really are worn out. That would really surprise me as they are usually metal and as such very structural. Make sure they are easily replaceable. I can't say I have ever had to do that. Secondly there is usually a setting where the feed dogs can be lowered our of their functional positioning. Make sure that has not happened. Then check and see if the presser foot has been released from its usual pressure setting. There is usually an adjustment that will regulate that pressure.

Incidentlally, the Singer Athena feed dogs are not really smooth as they are coated with some kind of friction material making them look smooth. A rather weird set-up that I don't have much use for. But.... they did it anyway without consulting me
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Maybe it's something else. It's a Singer 778, and when i called around to find replacements, they're actually available with either metal or rubber feed dogs. I'm wondering if rubber may be better for working with the synthetics. I don't think they're supposed to be smooth, but i don't know. I'll check when i go to get the replacements. If the new ones are smooth, then I've got to find another excuse. Given that i haven't sewn anything for about 6 years, it's pretty likely that the problems can be traced back to the user.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't know anything about that particular machine... but it does indeed have rubber feeddogs that might wear out. However... before you set about replacing them, particuarly with metal ones you might check the following site.

http://www.tandtrepair.com/SingerFeedDogs.html

I remember trying to use the Athena machine I had with the rubber feed dogs and found them to be extremely frustrating. Perhaps a trip to the shop is in order to check on other problems beyond worn feed dogs. I'm not saying that is not the culprit. It very well be. Particularly if the rubber has gone hard and lost its contact properties from not being used. The prices for on-line replacements seem to be consistent with a part one would expect to replace regularly.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    RR,

Thanks for the insight. I found them in stock at a store locally after a couple phone calls this afternoon. Discount Vacuum and Sewing. Since you're (kind of) local, it's right off the union deposit exit of 83.

I see you're from up around Milton, The reverend who just performed my little brother's wedding is from there as well. Do you ever get over into the area of RB Winter State Park, and the Halfway Dam? We've got a cabin right down on White Deer Creek up around there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Yes I get there a fair amount. Check out the Mid State Birthday Bash . Maybe we could get together and hike some trail, hang some hammocks and celebrate the Birthday. There are several folks in the central PA area. I've been trying to pull us together but "no body likes me, everybody hate me, Think I'll eat some worms."

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    don't forget the tarp! (you'll also need insulation... even in the summer- your existing CCF pad and sleeping bag will work...)

uh oh, you've been bit by the DIY bug! Welcome!

TH
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 07-04-2009 at 04:10.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Give the feed dog area a good cleaning, remove the stitch plate, thats the metal plate under the needle and foot. I had a bunch of fuzz built up in that area. Take a pipe cleaner or small q-tip and poke all around the bobbin too. remove bobbin and clean behind its normal spot. Add ONE TINY drop of sewing machine oil to where bobbin meets inside, do this every time you work with machine. If your machine has been sitting awhile, it definetely could use a little maintainence. Rev is right about the feed dog, it can be disabled. My feed dog disable button is inside the door for bobbin, just to the left of everything. Its a small switch and when you push it you can see the feed dog move up or down, and then it will lock in place.
    Good luck and welcome, and remember, if you got problems with your sewing machine, ask the little grey haired ladies, they will jump at the chance to mess with some guys machine. Heck they might even offer to sew, ERRR, make gear for you.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!!

Wal-Mart mystery fabric is an excellent way to get into Do-It-Yourself gear inexpensively... but be careful. Once you get bit by the bug... well... you can't ever get rid of it. The disease may go dormant from time to time, but it's always there, lurking, ready to strike when you see or read about some new or different way to build it (whatever "it" is). You're likely to have this disease for life.

Looks like you're well on your way to a great first hammock. Once you've got that done it'll be time to consider suspension systems, bug netting, under-insulation, and tarps. Does it ever end?

You'll find so many brilliant and ready-to-try-anything entrepreneur's here who can give you lots of great advice.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast