Feedback on WBRR bottom insulation

I just received a WBBB and WBRR in the mail and decided to keep the Ridgerunner. My brother swears by his UQ, and I know that most people prefer them as well, but I have a chance to buy a Big Agnes winter pad or a Thermorest winter pad for an unbelievable price and hope to forego cost of investing in an UQ. Does anyone have experience with a thicker pad in a double layer RR? If so, I'd really appreciate any feedback that you could offer, especially regarding any effects on comfort and the temperatures at which it was used.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may contribute,
    Joe

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Depending on how unbelievable the deal is, I'd snap it up and try it out. If after you later want an UQ, you're not out much and will have a good pad to boot. I tried thermorest in my RR and while it did nice things on the flattening and warming side, I did not like the sweaty feel from non breathable on my back, so will likely use an UQ mostly. YHMV

Best

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNorm View Post
    ...I tried thermorest in my RR and while it did nice things on the flattening and warming side, I did not like the sweaty feel from non breathable on my back...
    +1, also makes it slightly less stable by raising you up. Completely do-able, but I much prefer my UQs.

With a gift card and coupon, I can buy the $220 Big Agnes Pad for about $65. Also, I was planning to put the pad underneath the ridgerunner (I bought the double layer RR for this purpose)

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I love my downmat and UQ. Both are comfy. I find the pad has a slight comfort edge. Both get me to 20, maybe lower. Two great options.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    I love my x therm in my ridge. Had it down to 17f with the sock on and was warm. Feet got cold but I blame the sleeping bag. Feels really comfy too :-)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    About any pad will work well in the Ridge Runner. Wider is even better. Just let a wee bit of air out of any inflatable.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhiker View Post
    With a gift card and coupon, I can buy the $220 Big Agnes Pad for about $65. Also, I was planning to put the pad underneath the ridgerunner (I bought the double layer RR for this purpose)
    I assume that's the Qcore. If you have the option, I'd take a hard look at the Exped downmat 7 - higher Rvalue, slimmer pad which might help with stability. Its also 26" wide which is better, though it does weigh 7oz more. I used a downmat9 in mine and while I love that pad, I did not like where it put me in the hammock so that when side sleeping my knees would be in contact with the rigid sides. That and stability issues - felt much more tippy being raised up in the hammock. Ultimately, I did not keep the RR for the reason that it did not work as planned with a pad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    searching light but comfortable+++
    Does your downmat makes your feel too warm if the external temp are going up ?
    I read from tent hicker that they feel alright event in summer, so i'm really curious.
    I was considering ergo hammock draum'r solutions to help my bad back, and they need a pad to be comfortable but condensation is really a big question since i live in the south of my country

thanks for your help

• + New Posts